Cheetahs invited to join Pro12

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cheetahs invited to join Pro12

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

joe soap wrote:
germain wrote:Ulster with Jono Gibbes should be much better than this year. But I don't know who is the head coach : Kiss or Gibbes? .

Kiss is Director of Rugby, Gibbes head coach. Ulster have lost their best player, playmaker and the man who has held them together for the last several years - Piennar, Their 10, Jackson, has been suspended trial for rape. Edinburgh will seldom have a better chance to beat Ulster

Gibbes will be like Cockers I reckon bring Ulster back to basics as a forward oriented side that physically are very hard to beat. But without Pienaar and potentially Jackson they'll be vulnerable that's for sure.

I don't think we'll make top 3 this season but I think we can definitely put the foundations in place for next year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 am

I don't think we can expect too much of the Cheetahs and Kings this season they are coming straight off the back of a Super rugby season and we have seen how players coming in from the SH often struggle first season.

I think they will win games particularly at home and if there are games during the 6N suspect they may pick up points then as well, but I expect we will see a bigger challenge from them in the 18/19 season when they have gained experience of the league and had a break and pre-season to prepare.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Cheetahs and Kings are getting 5 international players each drafted in from the other provinces, so they should be reasonably competitive.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Cheetahs and Kings are getting 5 international players each drafted in from the other provinces, so they should be reasonably competitive.

Hadn't heard that - just a rumour or statement from the clubs / Union?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:31 pm

biffer wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:Cheetahs and Kings are getting 5 international players each drafted in from the other provinces, so they should be reasonably competitive.

Just a rumour but apparently part of the deal with the SARU.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
biffer wrote:

Just a rumour but apparently part of the deal with the SARU.

If current internationals then they are basically unavailable until December with the TRC and November internationals.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:05 pm

From Paul Rees in the guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ain-canada

More in depth from Anayi about the strategy for expansion and strengthening.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 am

Interesting article on the new Pro14 format and in particular the scheduling. They mirror some of my own thoughts and I’m not sure how they can even out over the seasons. Our double header trip to SA was particularly unfortunate with the AI’s on for example and that needs rotated among the teams if the format is to work and be fair. Be interesting to see how the fixtures pan out next season.

https://extra.ie/sport/rugby/dont-believe-pro14-spin
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am

Wottie wrote:Interesting article on the new Pro14 format and in particular the scheduling. They mirror some of my own thoughts and I’m not sure how they can even out over the seasons. Our double header trip to SA was particularly unfortunate with the AI’s on for example and that needs rotated among the teams if the format is to work and be fair. Be interesting to see how the fixtures pan out next season.

https://extra.ie/sport/rugby/dont-believe-pro14-spin

Nothing new there, just banging on about the same things as before the start of the season. No highlighting of the differences between ProRugby and SuperRugby, mainly the conferences being different sizes, thereby making the scheduling of SR very complex (and I’m sorry, but anyone saying the Pro14 scheduling is incomprehensible is pretty thick) and the most intractable problem in SR, the time differences. Author seems to be one of the guys who will never, ever accept the format regardless of whether or not it’s successful.

The thing we really need is a main TV broadcaster that covers the league, rather than a series of separate deals which cover the Irish teams in the league, the welsh teams in the league etc. Ideally an expansion of the Sky coverage to two games a week would give an anchor and reinforce them as the main broadcaster, and help to give some identity.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 am

When you look at the conferences as they stand at present I don’t think there are any real shocks as to how they are playing out, maybe Cheetahs doing better than expected off the back of a super rugby season and Ospreys being total pish but that is not scheduling related, the better teams are still going to come through to the play-offs.

To be honest I have no real issues with the format this season although I suspect that is primarily to do with watching a better more competitive Edinburgh team than anything else, if we were stuck in the bottom couple of places I would possibly view it differently.

While I would happily watch another 4 games if there was a single league it is not good for player welfare and would almost certainly mean more games played during the AIs and 6Ns with depleted squads and probably a season that runs into June, although that has its appeal from a spectating point of view.

I think the current format should be allowed a bit more time (before any further additions, or format change) the conferences will be reset next year based on finishing position so should throw up some different fixtures etc.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 am

My only question at the moment, as I'm prepared to wait a few seasons to see how it all pans out, is about the make up of the conferences, are the same teams going to be in the same conferences next season and after that?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Tichtheid wrote:My only question at the moment, as I'm prepared to wait a few seasons to see how it all pans out, is about the make up of the conferences, are the same teams going to be in the same conferences next season and after that?

No I understand they are to be reset based on overall finishing positions and country where applicable each season
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:My only question at the moment, as I'm prepared to wait a few seasons to see how it all pans out, is about the make up of the conferences, are the same teams going to be in the same conferences next season and after that?

No I understand they are to be reset based on overall finishing positions and country where applicable each season

Cheers, we'd have to have the situation whereby, for example, because we play Connacht once this year, we will play them twice next, the reverse being the case with Ulster.

I guess it will take more than two or even three seasons to rotate everything, though. I don't have the will to go through it all at the moment and look at all the possible permutations.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 pm

All things considered, this new format seems to be working quite well. 5 games left in the season and 11 of the teams have something left to play for.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun May 06, 2018 3:12 pm

A few outlets reporting that a further three Saffer teams to join Pro 14 by the 2020/21 season - most likely Sharks, Lions and Stormers. Sharks slated to join 2019/20, and the recently signed TV deal is designed to factor in the potential expansion.

Would suggest further growth in broadcast revenues ahead, and a tricky format redesign.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-14622260
New Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum