Cheetahs invited to join Pro12

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cheetahs invited to join Pro12

Postby Rico on Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm

New Gunner wrote:A few outlets reporting that a further three Saffer teams to join Pro 14 by the 2020/21 season - most likely Sharks, Lions and Stormers. Sharks slated to join 2019/20, and the recently signed TV deal is designed to factor in the potential expansion.

Would suggest further growth in broadcast revenues ahead, and a tricky format redesign.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-14622260

Mixed feelings about this. The extra money would definitely be welcome, but it's a pretty big increase in the number of long distance games. Better this than games in Vancouver or Houston or elsewhere in North America though.

Strange that it's only three of the four remaining SA teams. Designed to give each team a bye week, maybe?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm not mixed about this at all, I think it is a terrible idea. Having 2 teams was a push and to extend that would really make the league a mockery.

If the tv deal has just been agreed, how will that work? Is it already based on a larger number of teams? If so we will see less money, or will this not happen until the tv deal is up for renewal? Soup rugby has really struggled as it had too many teams of questionable quality.

The other rumour is that the Welsh may drop the Drags if this happens to keep the numbers right. It will over complicate things I think.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Mon May 07, 2018 1:38 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I'm not mixed about this at all, I think it is a terrible idea. Having 2 teams was a push and to extend that would really make the league a mockery.

If the tv deal has just been agreed, how will that work? Is it already based on a larger number of teams? If so we will see less money, or will this not happen until the tv deal is up for renewal? Soup rugby has really struggled as it had too many teams of questionable quality.

The other rumour is that the Welsh may drop the Drags if this happens to keep the numbers right. It will over complicate things I think.

I don't know Dolf, I think it's the only way to go if the Pro14 want to be on any kind of level with England and France. The quality of rugby would rise enormously - the only question would be whether we would up our game enough. Wales would have to seriously think about dropping the Dragons, they would ship 70+ points to the Sharks right now.

This interview with Martin Anayi is quite interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92QLEwXL2U
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon May 07, 2018 8:57 am

Would not mind more SA teams joining in theory but I think 14 is the maximum number you could have in a workable league I can’t think what format we could switch to with 16 teams that would work without overloading the players, adding one to each conference as it is would add 3 further matches.

A couple of the stronger SA teams replacing some of the poorer teams in the league would add/improve the competition but would more (even just fitting in one more double header) trips to SA for the squads impact the ability to compete in Europe?

Too many questions and LawrenceBryce all information as usual, is this an “official leak” to test reaction to the idea?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon May 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Don't see an increase to 16 teams as a problematic issue, either for length of season or player workload.

It would mean 23 league games (plus playoffs for 6 teams). The Pro12 was 22 league games, we are currently on 21, so not a great increase really.

Not so convinced about a second trip to South Africa, no matter how you schedule it, some teams are bound to have to travel there the week before their AIs or 6N games, which is not ideal.
royc
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum