Cheetahs invited to join Pro12

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cheetahs invited to join Pro12

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:44 am

BigD163 wrote:Not keen on the application of the idea.

- Conferences aren't the best IMO
- Uneven number of games
- Playing one team 3x for non welsh/irish teams
- "Please note: To maintain competitive balance the Conferences will be reset each season based upon rankings from the previous campaign." But are happy for a "7th" place to be decided on points? Why not a play off?

Adding in a 4v4, 5v5, 6v6, 7v7 to decide final ranking wouldn't be a bad idea.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby artie fufkin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:11 pm

The uneven split of games gives SRU option of 3rd Derby to be played at Murrayfield for £s or to take the game to Perth/Aberdeen/Borders
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 pm

artie fufkin wrote:The uneven split of games gives SRU option of 3rd Derby to be played at Murrayfield for £s or to take the game to Perth/Aberdeen/Borders

Q&A on the Pro12 website says the third game will alternate between the two clubs.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:48 pm

From the statement from Glasgow, it seems that there will be 2 Ed v Gla games at Murrayfield next season and 1 at Scotstoun. They also confirm that Glasgow have 10 home games rather than 11 next season and that STH will get a free ticket to the 3rd derby match at Murrayfield as compensation.

Looking forward to a similarly informative statement from Edinburgh any minute now....

EDITED TO SAY: now seen Edinburgh's more detailed statement - couldn't find it on the front page of the website (my mistake) :(
Last edited by Hil on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Hil wrote:From the statement from Glasgow, it seems that there will be 2 Ed v Gla games at Murrayfield next season and 1 at Scotstoun. They also confirm that Glasgow have 10 home games rather than 11 next season and that STH will get a free ticket to the 3rd derby match at Murrayfield as compensation.

Looking forward to a similarly informative statement from Edinburgh any minute now....

Edinburgh have confirmed they have 11 home games.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 pm

biffer wrote:
artie fufkin wrote:The uneven split of games gives SRU option of 3rd Derby to be played at Murrayfield for £s or to take the game to Perth/Aberdeen/Borders

Q&A on the Pro12 website says the third game will alternate between the two clubs.

It is a nice idea to move it around the respective regions as it would/could still count as a home game. Maybe the extra Glasgow game could head to Aberdeen or Kilmarnock etc. Not sure Edinburgh has the same size of ground available in the Edinburgh/Borders to make it worthwhile leaving MF though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Hil wrote:From the statement from Glasgow, it seems that there will be 2 Ed v Gla games at Murrayfield next season and 1 at Scotstoun. They also confirm that Glasgow have 10 home games rather than 11 next season and that STH will get a free ticket to the 3rd derby match at Murrayfield as compensation.

I take it Glasgow will "buy" the tickets for them?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm

biffer wrote:

Edinburgh have confirmed they have 11 home games.

Now seen it and edited my original post with an update :D
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm

BigD163 wrote:

My worry is what happens next year. Glasgow have 4500 ST holders, plus business club, hospitality etc. How will they manage to do the same in reverse for us next year?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm

It is too lucrative a fixture to happen but Edinburgh v Glasgow once at Myreside, once at Scotstoun each season with the 3rd match at Murrayfield with that game free to STs of the club that has only 10 games on a given year. Wont happen though.

Also mutterings if the SA teams are a successful addition (commercially and sporting etc) to the league SA will abandon super rugby and expand Pro14 further (or loose some underperformers), so depending on numbers we may have equal number of home games at some point in the future.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Bob on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:36 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:It is too lucrative a fixture to happen but Edinburgh v Glasgow once at Myreside, once at Scotstoun each season with the 3rd match at Murrayfield with that game free to STs of the club that has only 10 games on a given year.

think the 3rd game will go on the road after a season or two but it won't be in Scotland - somewhere like America/Australia/Middle East (was it Wasps who used to play a lot of home games abroad a couple of years ago?). Not great for the fans but potentially a nice little earner with TV and merchandise

If they do expand further to get more SA teams in the Italians will be on an even more shuggly peg
Bob
One cap wonder

Postby germain on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 pm

So... Are we still aiming at the top 6/7 next year ? :twisted:

The Feral Goat wrote: so depending on numbers we may have equal number of home games at some point in the future.

I don't get it : Irish and welsh will still have two different derbies and us and the italians teams only one. So unless Welsh and Irish teams accept to sacrifice one of their derbies, there will still have an unequal number of home games, no ?
germain
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 pm

biffer wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

My worry is what happens next year. Glasgow have 4500 ST holders, plus business club, hospitality etc. How will they manage to do the same in reverse for us next year?

I imagine this is an arrangement as they would have paid for a fixed number of home games with their season tickets (11 league games) and they are now only getting 10. I would think next year Edinburgh will sell ST's for the appropriate number of games.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 pm

germain wrote:So... Are we still aiming at the top 6/7 next year ? :twisted:

It certainly changes things a tad - 4th in the conference could be good or bad. Top 3 is the only way to guarantee the big competition. 4th in one conference could be as low as 9th or 10th overall.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm

biffer wrote:Edinburgh are in Conference B

Scarlets (WRU)
Leinster (IRFU)
Ulster (IRFU)
Edinburgh (SRU)
Benetton Rugby (FIR)
Dragons (WRU)
Southern Kings (SA Rugby)

And the conferences will be reset every year depending on performance.

So, we have to finish ahead of Ulster, Leinster & Scarlets to make the play offs and qualify for the EC (ok, highest scoring 4th team also qualifies). That's a tough ask. I think the other conference looks slightly weaker than ours, with them having Zebre, so I suspect 4th place in Conference A is likely to be higher scoring than in B (although the Saffer teams are very much an unknown). Lots of other unknowns regarding how it will pan out, but one thing that can be said about it - it's a change!
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum