Pre season friendlies

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Pre season friendlies

Postby Stevie1990 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:17 pm

As none have been announced yet. Who would you like to have friendlies with before the season begins?

For me - Quinn's and Toulous
Both would be good days out and give the team some good prep for the season start.
Stevie1990
Embra Debut

Re: Pre season friendlies

Postby mikeypikey on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

yea i would love to see a couple of games before the season gets going
and a chance to see how the new signings will fit in

Toulous would be good
mikeypikey
Embra Debut

Postby gunneria on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Have these been announced? Hope to hear before the season starts!

I'm guessing it will be Sale and Newcastle again

Edit:
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/ne ... riendlies/ the unconfirmed sounds like us (ie venue and time to be sorted out)
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeah, Sale have nothing in for the last two weekends in August atm.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Sale have updated their site.

Looks like we are playing them on 18th August at Meggetland.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Now showing on their fixture list as either 18 or 19 August but with no venue specified. Bit frustrating that we can't get even this fixture tied down, with less than a month to go.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 am

Fixtures now confirmed. Newcastle at The Greenyards on the 25th August with a 6pm ko. It seems that no consideration being given to supporters with this ko time. How can anyone finishing work at 5pm get to Melrose in an hour, hire a Lear Jet.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am

Confirmed

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... n-fixtures

Sale at Meggetland Friday 18th 7.35, Newcastle at Melrose Friday 25th 6pm. Bit of a AlanLewis trying to get to Melrose for 6pm on a Friday night.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 am

Ayton1keith wrote:Fixtures now confirmed. Newcastle at The Greenyards on the 25th August with a 6pm ko. It seems that no consideration being given to supporters with this ko time. How can anyone finishing work at 5pm get to Melrose in an hour, hire a Lear Jet.

2 friendlies both at home. May I politely suggest the norm would be one home and one away and Melrose is a wee bit closer to Edinburgh than Newcastle.

No pleasing some folk
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:03 pm

joe soap wrote:
Ayton1keith wrote:Fixtures now confirmed. Newcastle at The Greenyards on the 25th August with a 6pm ko. It seems that no consideration being given to supporters with this ko time. How can anyone finishing work at 5pm get to Melrose in an hour, hire a Lear Jet.

2 friendlies both at home. May I politely suggest the norm would be one home and one away and Melrose is a wee bit closer to Edinburgh than Newcastle.

No pleasing some folk

Would be quite happy to travel to Newcastle, have in the past, my point being as a season ticket holder I am unable to support my team due to time restrictions. This will also apply to any Falcons fans who work Friday afternoons and would have liked have travelled.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:
joe soap wrote:

No pleasing some folk

Would be quite happy to travel to Newcastle, have in the past, my point being as a season ticket holder I am unable to support my team due to time restrictions. This will also apply to any Falcons fans who work Friday afternoons and would have liked have travelled.

we have one out of 2 at home. Most fans would think that is pretty fair. You moaned because you couldn't get to a 6 o'clock in Melrose. Now its an awkward time for all fans , but see its about more than you and fans. It might come as a surprise but the main purpose of pre seasons isn't getting fans there. Perhaps engage brain to think about why both clubs agreed that time - I feel very very confident it wasn't to spite fans.

and anyway perhaps it suits our Borders based fans better than getting Edinburgh for 7.30.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Well that's me put firmly in my place, so I would like to apologise most sincerely Mr Soap for my selfishness. All I wanted to do was support my team.
I also take on board your point about pre season games isn't about getting fans there, so it was admirable of Edinburgh Rugby to run buses for supporters in the past to get them to pre season games in the borders.
Anyway, here's hoping for a successful season under our new coaching team and everyone can get behind them and the players in the coming season.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:Well that's me put firmly in my place, so I would like to apologise most sincerely Mr Soap for my selfishness. All I wanted to do was support my team.
I also take on board your point about pre season games isn't about getting fans there, so it was admirable of Edinburgh Rugby to run buses for supporters in the past to get them to pre season games in the borders.
Anyway, here's hoping for a successful season under our new coaching team and everyone can get behind them and the players in the coming season.

oh the sarcasm.

You wanted it on a plate. Every wee thing that doesn't suit, whinge time. You are not alone on here and frankly it TonySpreadbury me off.
The fact that buses were run to a fixture which is about a pre season run out first and last shows how fans, you included, are taken into account, while you portray it as if the ko time was to spite you. You never know, they might again (or the supporters club might)- have you asked?
Perhaps you should enquire of the club why its a 6pm ko before going off on a self indulgent whinge, you never know there may be a good reason; if there isn't then by all means lets us know and go for it as hard as you like.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm with Joe on this one. There is often an attitude around Edinburgh that the club should cater to every individuals needs.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Maybe Melrose doesn't have adequate floodlighting for an evening game, if it's a gloomy day.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum