Pre season friendlies

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Pre season friendlies

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Maybe Melrose doesn't have adequate floodlighting for an evening game, if it's a gloomy day.

Melrose didn't have any floodlights last I was there
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 pm

joe soap wrote:
Ayton1keith wrote:Well that's me put firmly in my place, so I would like to apologise most sincerely Mr Soap for my selfishness. All I wanted to do was support my team.
I also take on board your point about pre season games isn't about getting fans there, so it was admirable of Edinburgh Rugby to run buses for supporters in the past to get them to pre season games in the borders.
Anyway, here's hoping for a successful season under our new coaching team and everyone can get behind them and the players in the coming season.

oh the sarcasm.

You wanted it on a plate. Every wee thing that doesn't suit, whinge time. You are not alone on here and frankly it TonySpreadbury me off.
The fact that buses were run to a fixture which is about a pre season run out first and last shows how fans, you included, are taken into account, while you portray it as if the ko time was to spite you. You never know, they might again (or the supporters club might)- have you asked?
Perhaps you should enquire of the club why its a 6pm ko before going off on a self indulgent whinge, you never know there may be a good reason; if there isn't then by all means lets us know and go for it as hard as you like.

I see we have started the new season off on the same foot as the end of last season! I had naively thought that perhaps the good work going on developing a new squad culture and teamwork might spread to this forum but obviously not! I am sure Ayton1Keith is more than capable of defending his post, indeed he has obviously hit a raw nerve already, but I don't think his comments about the KO time warranted the responses of some! Can't we just stop the childish behaviours and personal criticism from some and have a decent debate about all matters rugby? Surely we can have a fun debate, with folk expressing different opinions and views without the vitriol from some who don't like others opinions?

I don't think it an unreasonable comment to make about the kick off time. It will prove very difficult for both us and Newcastle supporters to make it to the game for a 6pm kick off. For the majority it will not be possible which is a shame cause we are beginning, slowly, to build up a bit more of a positive feeling about the new management, the development of the squad and the coming season and I suspect many supporters would like to go to the game. Whilst the friendlies are a run out for the team surely we should also be using them to try and generate some supporter interest, particularly with our new coaching team now in place.

There may be a good reason for an early kick off, I am not sure what it is, it might be the lack of floodlights, however it might be nice for the club to explain this? Particularly to season ticket holders (I am not one) who have invested in the club for the forthcoming season. I don't think anyone is asking for 'it on a plate' nor were 'whinging' but making valid points about how keen supporters were going to make the game. A bit better communication would not have gone amiss!

Personally I will be going to Meggetland but won't make Melrose because of the timings. Would I have gone if it was a 7pm kick off? Probably even though the bypass is a AlainRolland nightmare at that time of the evening! Down for the game then drive back in time for a few pints would have been a nice night out.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm

AlainRolland I agree with Doedin

Suppose to balance it could have been played behind closed doors. Maybe a Saturday at 6 might have been an idea.
Last edited by GaryIPA on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Come over to the Dark side my son!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 pm

doedin wrote:Come over to the Dark side my son!

We have cookies... :altermind:
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 pm

doedin wrote:There may be a good reason for an early kick off, I am not sure what it is, it might be the lack of floodlights, however it might be nice for the club to explain this? Particularly to season ticket holders (I am not one) who have invested in the club for the forthcoming season. I don't think anyone is asking for 'it on a plate' nor were 'whinging' but making valid points about how keen supporters were going to make the game. A bit better communication would not have gone amiss!

The lack of communication - ie why Melrose and why 6pm is fair comment. But then again its so typical that the first impulse is to whinge as opposed to ask the question of the club. They should not need prompted but in this case it appears they do - so prompt them if is an issue instead of the usual immediate lazy whinge.

BTW not up to your usual standard of whinge, not enough exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 pm

doedin wrote: I don't think anyone is asking for 'it on a plate' nor were 'whinging' .

I'll repeat.
2 pre season games. One in Edinburgh at a very convenient time for most, the other a short journey away/ No. no-one wants it on a plate.
And of course taking the game to the Borders could not be a good thing in itself (debate about community engagement a week or so back).
And its but one example of he spoon feeding we see on here.

Me me me me me, the new Edinburgh chant ?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:

you'd never get agreement on cookies, so many varieties out there and they'll all want their own favourite or feel snubbed :roll:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:51 pm

More than a little overreaction from Joe Soap, not really called for.

The club has been advertising season tickets, leading on the access to two home games:

"This season, Edinburgh Rugby is offering a range of exclusive benefits and discounts, courtesy of our sponsors and partners, including:

Access to two home pre-season matches
Access to 11 PRO12 home games and three home European Cup pool matches
Access to the best seats for the 1872 Cup, and priority to purchase additional tickets"

Etc etc

So as this is the prospectus on which Alton Keith bought his tickets, he's entitled to have his say at least. Indeed, who knows if we will actually have 11 home games in the Pro 12?

That said, I don't have a problem with it. ER represents the Borders too, and Melrose is a great venue. Suspect the KO reflects the lack of floodlights as mentioned, and perhaps a Friday night as ER agreed not to clash with club games (cue my ignorance as to when the Premiership club season starts...). I'll really struggle to get to th game from work in Dunfermline, even if I can pull a 4pm early finish, but before Mr Soap launches a bar my way, I'm not complaining, I understand why they might have made that decision.

One thing I would say is that two years ago, the Leicester game at Melrose was on a Saturday afternoon. It was a cracking day, our family of four drove down (the club also laid on buses), we all had lunch in Melrose then two went shopping and two went to the game. We bought merchandise from the Melrose club shop, the. The four of us went for coffee / cake. With the Friday night and timing, it may be that Melrose misses out on some 'day tourist' revenue, but there you go.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am

The rail link from Edinburgh goes to Tweedbank which isn`t that far from the Greenyards, so I`m sure some sort of shuttle service could be available, only about 5 minutes away si its not that far, Gala is closer in terms of rail link and is Floodlit too, Hawick or other Border clubs do not have the benefit of the rail link.
As I`m COMING FROM THE EASTERN BORDERS, which I assume Ayton Keith will be too, it will take us 45minutes to an hour to get there , no different from going to either Meggetland or Myreside.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby biffer on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:00 am

borderflanker wrote:The rail link from Edinburgh goes to Tweedbank which isn`t that far from the Greenyards, so I`m sure some sort of shuttle service could be available, only about 5 minutes away si its not that far, Gala is closer in terms of rail link and is Floodlit too, Hawick or other Border clubs do not have the benefit of the rail link.
As I`m COMING FROM THE EASTERN BORDERS, which I assume Ayton Keith will be too, it will take us 45minutes to an hour to get there , no different from going to either Meggetland or Myreside.

Alternatively, get off at Gala, right next to the bus station and there are regular buses from there to Melrose. Or it's a pleasant thirty minute walk from Tweedbank along the river to Melrose.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:04 am

Normally plenty of space for bikes on the Borders railway, which reduces the journey at the other end to around 10 minutes.

Not sure where to park, though.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm

New Gunner wrote:So as this is the prospectus on which Alton Keith bought his tickets, he's entitled to have his say at least. Indeed, who knows if we will actually have 11 home games in the Pro 12?.

might well have been, but it has AlanLewis all to do with what he posted - perhaps you might re-read it

"Fixtures now confirmed. Newcastle at The Greenyards on the 25th August with a 6pm ko. It seems that no consideration being given to supporters with this ko time. How can anyone finishing work at 5pm get to Melrose in an hour, hire a Lear Jet."

which is in stark contrast to you own well argued post (most of which I would agree with). The prospectus of 11 home league games etc - yes its in doubt, we know why and again it has AlanLewis all to do with any failing on Edinburgh's part.

Anyway I'm pleased to see others confirming that Melrose is actually accessible, even with an early KO
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:

Petrie couldn't organise cookies
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:24 am

biffer wrote:
borderflanker wrote:The rail link from Edinburgh goes to Tweedbank which isn`t that far from the Greenyards, so I`m sure some sort of shuttle service could be available, only about 5 minutes away si its not that far, Gala is closer in terms of rail link and is Floodlit too, Hawick or other Border clubs do not have the benefit of the rail link.

Alternatively, get off at Gala, right next to the bus station and there are regular buses from there to Melrose. Or it's a pleasant thirty minute walk from Tweedbank along the river to Melrose.

I'll be sorry to miss this as I'm already double booked that evening, otherwise I'd definitely have taken the afternoon off and got the train down. Worked well for the Sevens and, as Biffer points out, it's a nice walk from Tweedbank.

I strongly support the idea of playing one of the pre-season matches in the Borders and a choice has to be made as to where. I agree that it's likely to be an early kick off due to the (current) lack of floodlights at The Greenyards.

The only feedback I'd give the club is that it would have been helpful to have a bit more advance notice. While it's a warm-up game, it'd nevertheless be good to get a big crowd. An early announcement would have helped a bit on that front.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum