Pro 14 fixtures

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Pro 14 fixtures

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm

BigD163 wrote:Is that tour to S.A. before the Euro double header? Hopefully not before a trip to Russia.

Will be interesting to see what squads Edinburgh and Glasgow send as Glasgow have a trip to S.A. before Euro game weeks 1 and 2.

I wouldn't put it past the spivs in charge of Europe to screw with us deliberately as a slap down for including the saffers
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 pm

The SA double header is about the worst place it could be for you. First one is the same weekend Scotland play Australia so you'll have probably have no-one from the extended squad travelling for that. Then short of flying players out separately to join up with Edinburgh the 2nd match also ends up with a weakened Test match window lineup even though it's actually outside the window.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 pm

biffer wrote:I wouldn't put it past the spivs in charge of Europe to screw with us deliberately as a slap down for including the saffers

Looks more like the "spivs" in Dublin have already screwed Edinburgh with the Boks double header, maybe as a slap down for the SRU siding with the AP "spivs". Know who your friends are, they aren't in Dublin
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:37 pm

disco wrote:The SA double header is about the worst place it could be for you. First one is the same weekend Scotland play Australia so you'll have probably have no-one from the extended squad travelling for that. Then short of flying players out separately to join up with Edinburgh the 2nd match also ends up with a weakened Test match window lineup even though it's actually outside the window.

Good spot. It hasn't clicked it was the week of that game. Potentially a hard shift for some of the younger guys.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 am

The timing of the games against the Cheetahs and Kings definitely isn't ideal. Given where we are in terms of rebuilding though, I think I'd probably have written-off our chances of winning away in South Africa regardless of where it was in fixture list.

And if we do end up with a difficult Challenge Cup fixture around the same time, there's a easy solution - write-off that fixture/the Challenge Cup as a whole since the league is what matters.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

So we have Munster and Ospreys at home but Connacht and Cardiff away. I hope we'll do most of this good schedule.
And for the south-african trip, we will test there our squad's depth.
Not so bad overall.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 pm

At first I wasn't too happy with the spread of home games, with us having 3 in April. But given the weather is better then, I shouldn't complain. Perhaps the fixture setters are seeing Edinburgh the same way they see the Russians in the Challenge cup - a freezing place to be avoided in the depths of winter.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I've taken a look at the ins and outs of the fixture list for the 2 new sides - a tough start to life in the Pro 14 for the Cheetahs and Kings but if they survive that then the scheduling has been relatively kind to them:

http://wp.me/p68WtH-6Xe

From an Edinburgh point of view as I've already mentioned the timing of the away double header is pretty troubling. Your home game against the Kings comes after they've had 4 weeks off in December so they'll either be rusty as hell or refreshed and flying...
disco
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum