New Kit

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

New Kit

Postby Rico on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:17 am

It's okay but it's a wee bit dull - think I preferred last season's.
Rico
World Cup Star

Re: New Kit

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Gilbert ones still the best
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Like the change strip, not a fan of the solid grey stripes on the home strip, but no biggie! I do prefer when our kit is predominantly plain black however. Just don't see the need to change these strips annually. Drives me nuts!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Meh.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Just don't see the need to change these strips annually

£££££ well maybe just ££ but probably enough to buy the seasons HT oranges and biscuits for the citing panels.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:25 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Just don't see the need to change these strips annually

£££££ well maybe just ££ but probably enough to buy the seasons HT oranges and biscuits for the citing panels.

Not with Cockers in charge. We'd best get in with Burtons in Sighthill for that.

Really like home shirt, need to see alternate in flesh but looks good also
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Save some cash and get the motherwell away shirt...
Attachments
2017-18-away-short-sleeved-jersey-adult_37198.jpg
2017-18-away-short-sleeved-jersey-adult_37198.jpg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 13041 times
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 am

Macron have knocked it out of the park with the Weegie kits this year. They look great!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Wottie wrote:Macron have knocked it out of the park with the Weegie kits this year. They look great!

Hmm, not so sure - home one's a bit of a shameless rip-off of the All Blacks' kit (with the exception of the tartan, obviously, which I'm not really a fan of either)

Eye of the beholder and all that, though ... !
Last edited by Rico on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Wottie wrote:Macron have knocked it out of the park with the Weegie kits this year. They look great!

Tidy. Do folk think The general preference is for a simpler design?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Personally I do GaryIPA. Not going to wear our home jersey down the pub on a Friday evening are you, but the Glasgow one, no problem. In a similar vein, I'm stuck wearing the Scotland plain jersey with the tartan trim from the RWC year for much the same reason.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Need to see the Weegie one with sponsor logos etc, looks ok first impression, but tartan can sometimes be a bit naff but maybe that is because it is everywhere in Edinburgh at present.

In answer to GaryIPA I liked our one that was almost plain black, was it the first Macron one(?), and generally favour a simple design.

Although if done well, like the weegie one that had all the clubs in the regions names on it, a more complex design can work as well alternatively you go all out like some of our 1872 efforts which went far enough out there to somehow be pretty good in my opinion.

From an ER view I think it comes back to the lack of identity we are Edinburgh Rugby not Edinburgh Gunners or Knights or Cockerills! if we had an identity that could be incorporated then fair enough but sticking something in the design for the sake of it rarely works so keep it simple.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Need to see the Weegie one with sponsor logos etc, looks ok first impression, but tartan can sometimes be a bit naff but maybe that is because it is everywhere in Edinburgh at present..

Apparently the retail version (one sold to fans) is going to remain without a sponsor on it. Only the player shirt will have it, and that's being announced on Monday.
EWT spoons
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Eh that is a bit odd, it is not really a replica shirt then and surely part of the attraction of sponsorship is having your company logo displayed by as many as possible...unless the sponsor is someone folk would not want on their shirts
http://www.trumpturnberry.com/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Need to see the Weegie one with sponsor logos etc, looks ok first impression, but tartan can sometimes be a bit naff but maybe that is because it is everywhere in Edinburgh at present.

In answer to GaryIPA I liked our one that was almost plain black, was it the first Macron one(?), and generally favour a simple design.

Although if done well, like the weegie one that had all the clubs in the regions names on it, a more complex design can work as well alternatively you go all out like some of our 1872 efforts which went far enough out there to somehow be pretty good in my opinion.

From an ER view I think it comes back to the lack of identity we are Edinburgh Rugby not Edinburgh Gunners or Knights or Cockerills! if we had an identity that could be incorporated then fair enough but sticking something in the design for the sake of it rarely works so keep it simple.

Identity does not come from a stupid nickname. It comes from the team having an identity. Leinster, Ulster and Munster don't need it and manage pretty well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum