Edinburgh v Sale Friday 18 August – 1935 Meggetland

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Sale Friday 18 August – 1935 Meggetland

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Dunbar got a decent run out to see if he's capable of filling a bench spot in the first few months.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Tichtheid wrote:What's the deal with Farndale and Fife? Are they back with us?

Johnstone as well. Has happened before, 7s lads train with us until their season starts.
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 am

Is Harries and Rasolea the only NSQ out of all listed for tonight (excepting Burleigh and Bresler qualify shortly) fairly certain Marfo is SQ?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 am

What happens at hooker this year is going to be interesting. McInally really needs to kick on IMO and it would be good if one of the younger guys like Fenton (if he is with us now) can challenge the established order.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby kieran on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 am

malkster1 wrote:Does anyone know if you can buy a ticket on the night? A friend is meant to be getting tickets from another friend but may not hear until Friday.

Tickets will be available to purchase from the Ticket Office at BT Murrayfield until 5pm tonight. There will be a Ticket Office next to the Macron Tent at Meggetland from 6pm onwards this evening too.
kieran
Embra Debut

Postby germain on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm

I had almost forgotten than Hodge was still there. But with Burleigh-Dean, now, I remember! :(

We could see Crosbie during that game. Interesting to see how he plays amongst professionnals. Good to see that Ritchie is given the 6 jersey. Watson and him, that's a hell of a pair of flankers. Strong pack with Sam leading the charge ; Duncan to kick ; Harries and Graham to score.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Well a mixed bag again thought you could tell Sale were further into their preseason than us.

Richie and Bresler standouts for me first half thought both really put themselves about and showed up well.

Second half better in gerneral young lads that came on did well.

Overall OK for first hit out suspect squad are in for a tough week under Cockerell though.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:31 pm

First half did appear to be only a slight improvement from last year, but 2nd half had a lot more inventive play. It looked like Sammy has been working on his service and I thought he had a good half. The new faces in the forwards who came on second half all looked very good and the the ball was cleared out to allow faster service. Whilst Sale looked better in the scrum first half, the Edinburgh front row of Murray Maccallum, bergman and Mcinally shunted them onto their DonalCourtney in the 2nd half which was most satisfying. Our backs also looked better 2nd half and it has to be noted that Dougie Fife played a lot better than many of the non Scottish qualified wingers we have singed since his departure. If I was Cockerill I'd be requesting that he returns pronto. Definitely some signs off promise.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 am

Had one more than I would have liked after the game but from what I remember youngsters made a real impact in the second half which was an improvement on the regulars in the first half.

Bryce and Kinghorn both played nicely and probably my pick of the backs, it will be interesting to see how both are accommodated actually - Bryce to 13? Kinghorn to wing .... Kinghorn to 10? Speaking of 10s - not much from Weir but I quite liked how flat Baggott played but needs work, SHC was much improved which was good to see.

Murray McCallum is a serious prospect, very impressive, is it unrealistic to think he'll be capped this year? Not for me. As was Luke Crosbie - won't surprise me if he's racking up appearances this year, I personally thought he was more impressive than Fagerson jnr in the under20s World Cup. And I liked how vocal young Hunter-Hill was, definitely captain material in a year or two.

I heard a rumour at the game that the 7s lads weren't just playing for fitness but something a tad more concrete. I do agree Fife looked a lot better than some dross we've had, Farndale was quiet which is a shame but he's a class, class act and Johnstone was good too - he was good when covering for the 2015 world cup players and it never made sense to be we didn't have a longer look but there is time to write those wrongs I feel.

The intensity I think was better, but still frustrating to lose at the death. Still not sure the players really believe but that comes with winning.

Tentatively positive, but there's so much more work to be done.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:28 am

Seemed to me that we had increased the competitive level a bit from last season, and we played some nice stuff at times. Yes, we were improved in the 2nd half, but was that because of changes Sale made? It's so hard to tell in these kind of games. Sales backs were very slick with their passing, and we looked a bit unimaginative in comparison in the 1st half. Of course, it's easier to look good when your forwards are dominating possession, which they were at the time. Overall some promising signs, but plenty of work to be done still, not that's a surprise to anyone.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Murray McCallum is a serious prospect, very impressive, is it unrealistic to think he'll be capped this year? Not for me.

Mr McCallum, in my view, is no longer a prospect.

He is simply Serious.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Had the pleasure of watching the game next to the Curry twins old man who confirmed that Sale started the game pretty much with their first choice starting line up. Have to factor that into the consideration that the team that played the 2nd half were better. The opposition was weaker as well. Pleased that having been bigging up our youngsters as we chatted before the game, McCallum, Ritchie, Kinghorn and Hunter-Hill all showed up well in the match. Thought Weir and Burleigh really got stuck into the physical stuff but really hope Hodge can get some creativity onto our back line this season and if he can't he needs to move on. Entertaining match for what it was. Shame we have such a long wait until the next home game with the Falcons match out for me due to combination of location and KO time.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Great to see Fife back in an Edinburgh jersey. Never understood why we let him go and would be delighted to see him back in our squad.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Sonicboom wrote:Great to see Fife back in an Edinburgh jersey. Never understood why we let him go and would be delighted to see him back in our squad.

This a man of erudition and insight.

I was not there myself but my son was and echoed your comments. I have said in the past Edinburgh were mad to let him go.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
I heard a rumour at the game that the 7s lads weren't just playing for fitness but something a tad more concrete. I do agree Fife looked a lot better than some dross we've had, Farndale was quiet which is a shame but he's a class, class act and Johnstone was good too - he was good when covering for the 2015 world cup players and it never made sense to be we didn't have a longer look but there is time to write those wrongs I feel.

With McRae in the coaching staff, Van Der Merwe's long term injury might create an opportunity for Fife or Farndale.
Same in the centres with Johnstone for Bennett.
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum