Edinburgh v Sale Friday 18 August – 1935 Meggetland

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Sale Friday 18 August – 1935 Meggetland

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:51 am

Season ticket renewed with the usual thoughts of “this season must be better than last” but for the first time in a while there appears genuine reason for optimism with the appointment of Mr Cockerill.

I am not going to try and guess at the selection for Mr C’s first match in charge but I am hoping to see a few of the new backline recruits like Fruean, Graham and VDW get a run out and hopefully the return of a fit again Sutherland and Dickinson.

What to expect? It is time for all the talk in the interviews to be translated to the pitch, the hard edge and 80min effort that are mentioned in every interview it may be a “friendly” but I would like to see the change in mind set from game 1, the exciting running rugby can wait till next week :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Sale Friday 18 August – 1935 Meggetland

Postby joe soap on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 am

Pre season games count for nowt. All about players getting used to systems and proper contact. With a new coach even more the case.

Win always nice but I'd rather identify system flaws now than later. All about the performance as the cliché goes.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Steve Diamond has named a 30 man squad to travel north on Wednesday evening in readiness for the Sharks final warm up fixture against Edinburgh on Friday evening.

Included in the squad are new signings Faf de Klerk and James O'Connor. Newly appointed Captain Will Addison is fit again as is TJ Ioane and both travel.

Squad: Mike Haley, Denny Solomona, Will Addison, Sam James, Byron McGuigan, AJ MacGinty, Faf de Klerk, Ross Harrison, Cameron Neild, Will-Griff John, Bryn Evans, Josh Beaumont, Jono Ross, Ben Curry, Josh Strauss, James Flynn, Marc Jones, Jake Pope, Andrei Ostrikov, George Nott, Tom Curry, TJ Ioane, Lawrence Pearce, Will Cliff, Mark Jennings, Jonny Leota, Josh Charnley, Alex Tarus, James O'Connor, Halani Aulika

Director of Rugby Steve Diamond said, "It's a big game for the lads on Friday. They performed well against Castres and rest assured that Richard Cockerill will have his squad ready and waiting for us. The Premiership season moves ever closer and Friday is a great opportunity for the players to put their hand up for a place in the 23 man squad for the opening game against Wasps."

I've been impressed by Beaumont's laddie, it will be interesting if he and Strauss play in the same backrow.
Faf de Klerk will be up to speed having played in the Sooper Rugby final, albeit from the bench - I didn't see enough of the Lions this season to know whether he was dropped from the starting position due to form or if it was because he was offski to Sale.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 pm

joe soap wrote:Pre season games count for nowt. All about players getting used to systems and proper contact. With a new coach even more the case.

Win always nice but I'd rather identify system flaws now than later. All about the performance as the cliché goes.

Agreed. Key thing is to implement systems and a game plan and get the players working to them.

It is all about being ready to play in the 1st pro 14 game.

It always strikes me that the teams don't have many warm up matches. Prior to the RWC Scotland had 4 games with a squad of 31 or whatever it was. Edinburgh and Glasgow have 43 players or so in their books, most of whom will play between now and the end of November yet they only have 2 games each.

When do the Scotland guys AlanLewis off to St Andrews? Monday?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Does anyone know if you can buy a ticket on the night? A friend is meant to be getting tickets from another friend but may not hear until Friday.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm

15 Glenn Bryce

14 Darcy Graham
13 Chris Dean
12 Phil Burleigh
11 Jason Harries

10 Duncan Weir
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Darryl Marfo
2 Stuart McInally
3 Simon Berghan
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Jamie Ritchie
7 John Hardie
8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes: Jason Baggott**, Tom Brown, Lewis Carmichael, Neil Cochrane, Luke Crosbie**, Ross Dunbar**, Jamie Farndale*, Cammy Fenton**, Dougie Fife*, Nathan Fowles, Hugh Fraser, Callum Hunter-Hill, James Johnstone*, Blair Kinghorn, Murray McCallum, Fraser McKenzie, Ally Miller, Junior Rasolea

Fairly unadventurous team, given the lack of internationals. Will be a good test to see how Cockerill's done many of the same underperformers from last season, and hopefully get a win here to start things off.

Surprisingly backs heavy bench too.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 pm

What's the deal with Farndale and Fife? Are they back with us?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has named his first Edinburgh team as the capital club prepares to take on Sale Sharks in their opening friendly match of pre-season at Meggetland tomorrow night (Friday 18 August, kick-off 7.35pm).

New signing Darryl Marfo starts in the front row whilst Scotland U20 back Darcy Graham makes his debut on the right wing. Jason Harries, who joined the Black and Red Army from London Scottish, starts on the left wing. The squad is further bolstered on the bench by a selection of players from the BT Sport Academy and Scotland 7s squad.

Speaking to edinburghrugby.org, Cockerill said: “We’ve been working hard for the last nine weeks so it’ll be great to get out on the field and fire some live bullets for the first time. It’s been a really good pre-season so it’ll be interesting to see where we’re at.

“Sale obviously had a good win against Castres last weekend and it’ll be stiff opposition with the squad that they’re bringing and the players they’ve signed. The Premiership is a very physical league so they’ll have a really strong set-piece. Sale play a good brand of rugby and they’re very good with ball in hand.

“We know that they’re going to be very strong and that they’re going to be coming up expecting to win, so it’ll be a good mental test for us. We need to put a marker down around our physicality and our mentality around how we want to play.

“We’ve got to start putting our bodies on the line and seeing where the team is at.”

Tickets for the friendly match against Sale Sharks are available to purchase online here. Season Ticket Members can enjoy the match as part of their package – more information on Season Ticket Memberships can be found here.

Edinburgh team to play Sale Sharks in a pre-season friendly on Friday 18 August at Meggetland (kick-off 7.35pm)

15 Glenn Bryce

14 Darcy Graham
13 Chris Dean
12 Phil Burleigh
11 Jason Harries

10 Duncan Weir
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Darryl Marfo
2 Stuart McInally
3 Simon Berghan
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Jamie Ritchie
7 John Hardie
8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes: Jason Baggott**, Tom Brown, Lewis Carmichael, Neil Cochrane, Luke Crosbie**, Ross Dunbar**, Jamie Farndale*, Cammy Fenton**, Dougie Fife*, Nathan Fowles, Hugh Fraser, Callum Hunter-Hill, James Johnstone*, Blair Kinghorn, Murray McCallum, Fraser McKenzie, Ally Miller, Junior Rasolea

* Scotland 7s player
** BT Sport Academy player
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm

We seem to be a little short on the loose head side of the front row....
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Tichtheid wrote:What's the deal with Farndale and Fife? Are they back with us?

I think the * beside their (and Johnstone's) names suggests they're still (mainly?) with the sevens squad. Perhaps they've been training with ER in the sevens off-season.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:50 pm

biffer wrote:We seem to be a little short on the loose head side of the front row....

McCallum can cover play sides simultaneously, can't he?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Probably fairly as expected, not sure the value of naming so man subs though. 3 Scrum halves is a bit daft.

It feels a bit close to the season and we don't have a enough games to give everyone a lot of gametime, would rather only bring in the academy and 7s players to fill spots where we are short. We are not in the uxurious position of experimenting too much.

Interestingly no captain named. Maybe wants to see who shows leadership? Ref will want to know I assume!

edit - Was fenton a swap for Turner? Good move if so, we have plenty of senior hookers for now but he is a very good prospect.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Frenchy wrote:
biffer wrote:We seem to be a little short on the loose head side of the front row....

We've got McCallum and Dunbar covering the props, same as a regular match, not sure where Bryce is, but Dell's injury isn't enough to stop him training with the Scotland squad, so we're not totally ruined for the beginning of the proper season until we pick up another 2 or 3 injuries in these warm-up games.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:44 pm

gowrie wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

We've got McCallum and Dunbar covering the props, same as a regular match, not sure where Bryce is, but Dell's injury isn't enough to stop him training with the Scotland squad, so we're not totally ruined for the beginning of the proper season until we pick up another 2 or 3 injuries in these warm-up games.

Dell the Lion will be on mandatory rest period.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:15 pm

biffer wrote:
gowrie wrote:We've got McCallum and Dunbar covering the props, same as a regular match, not sure where Bryce is, but Dell's injury isn't enough to stop him training with the Scotland squad, so we're not totally ruined for the beginning of the proper season until we pick up another 2 or 3 injuries in these warm-up games.

Dell the Lion will be on mandatory rest period.

I had forgotten about that. Suppose he'll be available earlier than Seymour, which could mean a return in Round 2-3. Bit tight, but Marfo/McCallum on one side and Nel/Berghan the other just about gets us through.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum