Edinburgh v Newcastle @ Melrose Friday 25th August

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Newcastle @ Melrose Friday 25th August

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Who's going?

I'm planning to get the train mid afternoon and have a few beers in Melrose before the game, a wee afternoon out if you will. I imagine we'll see a team closer to the likely lineup for the first Pro14 game for at least some of the game.

Looking forward to seeing if there's any change in intensity under the new coaching team (I couldn't make last week), hopefully I'll be impressed....
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Newcastle @ Melrose Friday 25th August

Postby Wottie on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm

biffer wrote:Who's going?

I'm planning to get the train mid afternoon and have a few beers in Melrose before the game, a wee afternoon out if you will. I imagine we'll see a team closer to the likely lineup for the first Pro14 game for at least some of the game.

Looking forward to seeing if there's any change in intensity under the new coaching team (I couldn't make last week), hopefully I'll be impressed....

Nae holidays left unfortunately. Have a good day out. Hopefully there will be a stream this time!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:Who's going?

Nae holidays left unfortunately. Have a good day out. Hopefully there will be a stream this time!

Sale Sharks streamed last week live, ER promoted the link iirc and the stream is available on YouTube. Also last time out at Greenyards the Romania game was streamed by the club on Periscope.

I'm taking a half day but driving down as I need to get back to Edin after the game, Biffer's plan sounds more fun!
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:19 pm

New Gunner wrote:
Sale Sharks streamed last week live, ER promoted the link iirc and the stream is available on YouTube. Also last time out at Greenyards the Romania game was streamed by the club on Periscope.

Hmm. I'm not sure that Edinburgh did much planning around advertising the Sale stream. And in my experience, watching on Periscope is very much like watching through a periscope, albeit one that drops back underwater every 30 seconds or so.

I think if you want to see the game, you should probably plan to be there in person.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am

bignose wrote: And in my experience, watching on Periscope is very much like watching through a periscope, albeit one that drops back underwater every 30 seconds or so.

I think if you want to see the game, you should probably plan to be there in person.

do you mean if you want to see it and can get there, be there in person? Or do you mean if you can't get there don't bother with the periscope stream? Cos if the latter then that's a pretty daft comment. We know periscope is "limited", but its better than nowt for those who can't get there for whatever reason
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

bignose wrote:
New Gunner wrote:

Hmm. I'm not sure that Edinburgh did much planning around advertising the Sale stream. And in my experience, watching on Periscope is very much like watching through a periscope, albeit one that drops back underwater every 30 seconds or so.

They shared the link on Twitter before the game, which is where people are most likely to follow live updates if they weren't at the game. Agree Periscope is poor (although better than nothing), live streaming on YouTube works better assuming decent internet connection.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm

joe soap wrote:
bignose wrote: And in my experience, watching on Periscope is very much like watching through a periscope, albeit one that drops back underwater every 30 seconds or so.

do you mean if you want to see it and can get there, be there in person? Or do you mean if you can't get there don't bother with the periscope stream? Cos if the latter then that's a pretty daft comment. We know periscope is "limited", but its better than nowt for those who can't get there for whatever reason

Thanks for clarifying that for us. I don't know if I could have lived with myself if someone had been unable to decide for themselves if the periscope stream was good enough for their purposes and had - instead - relied on my jaundiced observation, thus missing out on the celebration of rugby that Friday evening promises.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 pm

bignose wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that for us. I don't know if I could have lived with myself if someone had been unable to decide for themselves if the periscope stream was good enough for their purposes and had - instead - relied on my jaundiced observation, thus missing out on the celebration of rugby that Friday evening promises.

ooooh , sarky. There was a possibility from your post that your advice on periscope was don't bother. Hence I asked you to clarify. Perhaps I feared it was just another of the incessant moans. Can't think why I would imagine that :roll: .
If your message was as clear as the nerve I've clearly touched we wouldn't be having this exchange.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Calm down everybody, it's only a pre-season friendly 8)

*pulls in Periscope, makes depth 50 metres*
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Team's oot

15. Blair Kinghorn

14. Darcy Graham
13. Chris Dean
12. Junior Rasolea
11. Dougie Fife

10. Duncan Weir
9. Nathan Fowles

1. Darryl Marfo
2. Stuart McInally
3. Simon Berghan
4. Anton Bresler
5. Grant Gilchrist
6. Jamie Ritchie
7. John Hardie
8. Magnus Bradbury

Plus a whole who's who of subs.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:45 pm

biffer wrote:Team's oot

Plus a whole who's who of subs.

19 of 'em.

Neil Cochrane, Cammy Fenton, Ryan Grant, Ross Dunbar, Murray McCallum, Kevin Bryce, Fraser McKenzie, Callum Hunter-Hill, Cornell du Preez, Luke Crosbie, Ally Miller, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Jason Tovey, Jason Baggot, Tom Brown, Jason Harries, Glenn Bryce, James Johnstone, Jamie Farndale

I hope Fife and Farndale are indeed playing for a contract rather than to keep fit
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:49 pm

What is the world record for the most "Jasons" on the pitch at any one time?
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Jinglin Geordies

Newcastle Falcons team to face Edinburgh (Friday, 6pm, the Greenyards, Melrose)

15 Simon Hammersley
14 Chris Harris
13 Maxime Mermoz
12 Juan Pablo Socino
11 Sinoti Sinoti
10 Toby Flood
9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Rob Vickers
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Will Witty
5 Glen Young
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch (captain)
8 Nili Latu

Replacements
16 Scott Lawson
17 Santiago Socino
18 Sami Mavinga
19 Calum Green
20 Callum Chick
21 Sam Stuart
22 Joel Hodgson
23 Alex Tait

[BLANK] Trevor Davison
[BLANK] Ally Hogg
[BLANK] Belisario Agulla
[BLANK] Josh Matavesi
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm

On the number of subs going on and off the pitch - it made me think of a mate's comment on a similar situation, it's going to be like a Danube St front door during the kirk General Assembly.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm guessing the Scottish front row boys will have a punch up at some stage. My money is on Scott lawson starting something.
Good to see Ally Hogg back (albeit i can't make it due to the really start out of town)
Debaser
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum