Cardiff V Edinburgh 01 Sep 19:35 (BBC Alba 1930)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cardiff V Edinburgh 01 Sep 19:35 (BBC Alba 1930)

Postby Weegie on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 pm

gunneria wrote:Not stunning rugby but what you need away. Looking forward to a game at Myreside since the first one.

That's what worries me, looking forward to a game. It is Edinburgh after all.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:54 pm

Toolis look good too, roll on next Friday night, we now need a big vocal crowd to help unleash the hunger and send the Dragons home with the fire quenched.
Pitfitter

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Only negatives for me was Nel not imperious and Fife didn't see the ball and got injured.

Their loosehead was allowed to bore in and Marfo really struggled with their starting tighthead, when he was off for treatment we bossed the scrum, Nel can only do so much. He was imperious when the other side was anchored - I wasn't there but I'm told the same happened agin Sale, McCallum blootered them when he came on for Marfo.

We need Dicko, Sutherland and Dell back
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:39 pm

There will be an element of Cockerill finding out more about players in the first few games. Training and warm up games are all well and good, but players respond differently to the pressure of game situations. Edinburgh made a few mistakes, but none fatal, and whilst some players were quieter than that sometimes are, there was a general hunger and determination. MacRae seems to have done a job with the defence, but it's still early days so you'd hope things will improve as players get more familiar with what is asked of them.

Interesting comment from Wright that Edinburgh look like a team rather than a collection of individuals for the first time in ages.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Good to see a team where...

1 everyone seems to understand their role
2 they hit rucks hard
3 they're tackling aggressively
4 they understand well timed and selected rush defence
5 chase and kick are properly timed to cause the defence problems

Very promising. However we've all seen false dawns before so it'll need a few seasons before I think we've turned a corner.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Oh, and

Nel - proper anchor
Ritchie - God this boy is going to be good. Actually he's already good, he had the potential to be astonishing.
SHC - could he actually be about to become the player we all thought he could be?
Weir - couldn't have asked for a better coach than Cockerill. Perfect match and hell be back in Scotland contention by the Six Nations.
Kinghorn - made both tries. What a talent. Needs to work at things though, positioning not right for their try.
Bradbury - made the right decisions and kept Clownshoes from doing anything mental. First game as a captain is a win. Looked for work all night too.
Berghan looked good when he came on.
Toolis looked fantastic when he came on.
Bryce looked a better player than last year.
Fife - looked like the winger he used to be, great to have him back
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:10 am

Per the BBC article Fruean should be available next week was not risked on synthetic pitch. Cockerill speaking to Scott Johnstone about keeping Fife, Farndale and Johnstone from 7s. Not clear if all season or until new year when Bennett VDMerve due back.

Saying all the right things again about that being minimum standard etc.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 am

biffer wrote:Oh, and

SHC - could he actually be about to become the player we all thought he could be?

Didn't think his passing was particularly great - a bit too much inaccuracy and in a limited attack you need exceptional accuracy. Kicking was absolutely excellent though.

http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/match/295928.html

Hardie made 22(!!!) tackles!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:06 am

Agree totally Weegie.

Can't really ask for more for a first outing away from home(apart from a bonus point).

Lots of positives as everyone has pointed out and they played for a full 80 minutes, when was the last time we saw that?

Well done guys. :)
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Hardie made 22(!!!) tackles!

And there were posts saying he seemed quiet (which I agreed with)!

I noticed him a bit more towards the end, perhaps his fitness is a bit better than others'.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:19 pm

So, our forward game was improved ; good job Grant.
Our defense was immense ; good job McRae.
Our mindset and our tactical game was great ; good job Cockers.
But out attacking structures were anywhere to be found... Allô Hodge ?

Anyway, it was great to see that away win. I'm really pleased. Even if our attacking game doesn't improve, we're not quite exaclty the same team, and we're able to win.
Cardiff were much more dangerous with ball in hand but we beat them tactically and in the rucks. Well done boys.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 pm

For those criticising our back play remember that-admittedly post New Year-we should be able to put out a three-quarter line of:
Hoyland,Fruan/Bennett,Burleigh,Van de Merwe.
Nice thought allied to the eventual return from injury of our three international loose-head props.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:31 pm

germain wrote:So, our forward game was improved ; good job Grant.

Anyway, it was great to see that away win. I'm really pleased. Even if our attacking game doesn't improve, we're not quite exaclty the same team, and we're able to win.
Cardiff were much more dangerous with ball in hand but we beat them tactically and in the rucks. Well done boys.

To be fair the first try was definitely a set piece move to exploit Kinghorn's line breaking ability. The rest was just a very structured simple attacking game we'll see under Cockers. Execution wasn't good enough but that'll come, also Kinghorn was allowed to run from deep rather than just play territory.

And it is true we'll have the game breaking Fruean, Bennett and Hoyland to come back in.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
germain wrote:So, our forward game was improved ; good job Grant.

To be fair the first try was definitely a set piece move to exploit Kinghorn's line breaking ability. The rest was just a very structured simple attacking game we'll see under Cockers. Execution wasn't good enough but that'll come, also Kinghorn was allowed to run from deep rather than just play territory.

And it is true we'll have the game breaking Fruean, Bennett and Hoyland to come back in.

Embedding attacking structures will take longer to bed in than defence, we're going to have to be patient
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 am

They do generally. Bear in mind this is not a new attack coach though and the back line was mainly made up of players who should have had time to embed them. I remain very unconvinced by Hodge, would gladly be proved wrong though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum