Cardiff V Edinburgh 01 Sep 19:35 (BBC Alba 1930)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Cardiff V Edinburgh 01 Sep 19:35 (BBC Alba 1930)

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:26 pm

A return to league action with a bit more hope and positivity around the ER team than there has been for a good few seasons, however we have not won at Cardiff for 5 years!

They are a team that has generally finished slightly ahead of us in the league, certainly over the last few seasons so they should be one of the first teams we set our sights on beating before we worry about top3 of our conference.

Quite possible we could be fighting with them for best 4th place finisher and the final Champions cup place come the end of the season so an important measure of where we are at.

They beat London Scottish away 23-34 and Exeter at home 21-20 in pre-season

Our Internationals are apparently available, those that are not injured, will be interesting to see which get straight into the squad which youngsters are included.

I am going to guess at

15. Glenn Bryce

14. Darcy Graham
13. Chris Dean
12. Burleigh (if fit) then Rasolea (not sure on Fruean injury status?)
11. Jason Harries

10. Duncan Weir
9. SHC

1. Murray McCallum
2. Stuart McInally
3. WP Nel
4. Anton Bresler
5. Grant Gilchrist/Toolis
6. Jamie Ritchie
7. Hamish Watson
8. Magnus Bradbury
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Cardiff V Edinburgh 01 Sep 19:35 (believe it is on ALBA)

Postby germain on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:41 pm

I dream of 12- Dean 13- Fruean.
But, ok, Hodge is still there...

For the rest, I suspect Hardie and Kinghorn to be close of a starting slot.
It will be interesting to see if Bardbury starts at 8 or at 6. The same for McCallum at loosehead or on the bench.

I have no real expectations. I would be very surprised if we get a result there.
It should be a fierce and bloody contest with a lot of commitment from us but that won't be enough to get a result.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Think we've had a fairly solid preseason, as have they. Hopeful that we can get a win, but an LBP would be a decent return, and denying them a BP of course.

Hard to know what kind of team we could have when we don't know where the internationals are in their preparations, and if guys like Kinghorn, Berghan and Hoyland are injured or not.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:05 pm

I was not aware of an injury concern on Kinghorn and Berghan. But I've just read that internationals will be in the mix if not injured.
So we should see Nel, Ford, Toolis, Hardie/Watson...
As for Hoyland, I don't know at all.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:46 pm

germain wrote:I was not aware of an injury concern on Kinghorn and Berghan. But I've just read that internationals will be in the mix if not injured.

Kinghorn was meant to start vs Newcastle but seems Bryce did with no announcement on why, Hoyland hasn't played and it seems Graham and Harries have acquainted themselves well in preseason so I'd reckon they start.

Hopefully Nel, Toolis, Watson, Fruean all get a run.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
germain wrote:I was not aware of an injury concern on Kinghorn and Berghan. But I've just read that internationals will be in the mix if not injured.

Kinghorn was meant to start vs Newcastle but seems Bryce did with no announcement on why, Hoyland hasn't played and it seems Graham and Harries have acquainted themselves well in preseason so I'd reckon they start.

Hopefully Nel, Toolis, Watson, Fruean all get a run.

Fruean was interviewed at the Melrose game, he was asked when he would be back and said he wasn't sure, which probably means he's a few weeks away, which is a shame. Quite a few first XV out for the start of the season - Dicko (in fact three International loose heads); Fruean, Bennett, (arguably) van der Merwe, Kinghorn. Not sure about Burleigh either, who is there or thereabouts. A third of arguably our first choice team being out isn't ideal, then again this time last season was Dell not trying to fill in at tight head against Munster?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am

Team is up -

Marfo, McInally, Nel
Bresler, Gilchrist
Ritchie, Bradbury, Hardie
SHC, Weir
Harris, Rasolea, Dean, Fife
Kinghorn

Subs Rizzo, Ford, Berghan, Toolis, duPreez, Fowles, Tovey, Bryce

Ooh, well it was on twitter for a minute but now seems to have been deleted....
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Yonthing on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Edinburgh players loose behind the bar at The Huxley "throughout the game". I assume that means they are actually going to be showing it...

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... ade-heaven

"The season kicks off this Friday with Edinburgh playing Cardiff Blues (1st September, kick-off 7:35pm), on away turf. To celebrate the start of the season, The Huxley will be letting two Edinburgh Rugby players loose behind the bar, to engage with supporters and serve the masses throughout the game."
Yonthing
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Pretty decent team overall. Fair bit of forward firepower on the bench as well.

Think McCallum and Graham are a bit unlucky to be out of the squad entirely both were good in pre-season, although good to see Fife back who is in good form as well.

Harris, Fife, Dean, Kinghorn and Rasolea are all pretty big lads in the backs
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Them

Cardiff Blues team to face Edinburgh on Friday, September 1 (7.35pm) at Cardiff Arms Park:

Matthew Morgan; Alex Cuthbert, Rey Lee-Lo, Willis Halaholo, Aled Summerhill; Jarrod Evans, Lloyd Williams; Rhys Gill, Matthew Rees (capt), Taufa'ao Filise, Seb Davies, Damian Welch, Josh Turnbull, Josh Navidi, Nick Williams.

Replacements: Kirby Myhil, Corey Domachowski, Keiron Assiratti, Macauley Cook, Sion Bennett, Tomos Williams, Steve Shingler, Tom James.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm

Solid side, but missing a few in the pack. Definitely going in as underdogs, but we're not without a chance. Big question for me is how our midfield defence copes, because Rasolea and Dean at 13 were not great last year, and Cardiff have got a good backline to exploit that.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 pm

That's a big backrow they have, Navidi in particular impressed me every time I saw him last season.

I like Morgan, he's wee but can be deadly.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:That's a big backrow they have, Navidi in particular impressed me every time I saw him last season.

I like Morgan, he's wee but can be deadly.

Only about 4 starters for Blues who began against Scottish a couple of weeks ago. All the usual caveats about pre season friendlies apply, but Underhill looked a very pacy finisher.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Interesting team. I quite like it. Some continuity with the teams aligned so far in the friendlies (five changes compared to the team against Sale, three compared to the team against Newcastle). Nel is the only internationalist to be back directly in the XV. Nothing out of logic.

Cockerill seems to really try McInally at 2 and see what he can do. Third start in a row even if the first two were friendlies.
Marfo and Rizzo at loosehead : McCallum seems to be viewed as a tighthead. Good thing too.
Gilchrist starts for the third time alongside Bresler.
Good balance in the back-row.
I don't remember if it's Tomos or Lloyd but one of the Williams is a really good pest of a 9. H-Clyne will have to show he is back at his best.
I like this back line of big units. I know we're not going to be very creative, so at least hit them hard and keep them busy in defense. Weir should be confortable with those big guys running simple lines outside of him and I expect him to shine.
Kinghorn vs Matthews, that's quite a game of starlets.

We've got a lot of (good) talking till now. Let's see the reality of it.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:52 pm

germain wrote:
Marfo and Rizzo at loosehead : McCallum seems to be viewed as a tighthead. Good thing too.
Gilchrist starts for the third time alongside Bresler.

Quality tightheads are gold dust, if he has the potential to be one, and I reckon he has, then McCallum should be concentrating on the right side. Berghan hasn't kicked on the way I had hoped (yet), we need another international quality tighthead, young Murray could well be it.

The second row selection immediately makes me think it's classic Cockers/Tiggers - size counts. I thought Toolis was our best player last season. However if that pair have good games we should get some decent go-forward ball, which should make life a bit easier.

I hope Rambo's darts have improved, he needs to up his carrying back to what it was at in the backrow, he had Irish & Welsh supporters bigging him up on another forum back then.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum