Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alba fr

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alb

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:54 pm

+'s and -'s on the game last night but if we can win and still not have played at potential should it mean we can improve to a level where wins are expected?
Crowd was apparently bigger than it looked so next week may bring even more out, and there was a bit of vocal support too, I have to look on the bright side, it's only the start of the season.
Pitfitter

Postby zt1903 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I've only seen the scores so far, our attack looked good, some nice lines being run.

I agree with Gary and the TMO, I looked at a photo on Wales Online, if there is any media that will show a favourable shot for the Drags, it will be Wales Online.
Sad git that I am, I held a straight edge along the touchline on the photo and the guy's heel is partly obsured - in touch.

Yep.

Ball still in hand, left boot possibly touching line, right boot well over and a fraction of a second from touching the ground.

zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 pm

zt1903 wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I've only seen the scores so far, our attack looked good, some nice lines being run.

I agree with Gary and the TMO, I looked at a photo on Wales Online, if there is any media that will show a favourable shot for the Drags, it will be Wales Online.
Sad git that I am, I held a straight edge along the touchline on the photo and the guy's heel is partly obsured - in touch.

Yep.

Ball still in hand, left boot possibly touching line, right boot well over and a fraction of a second from touching the ground.

His right boot doesn't touch the ground before he releases the ball though (which was a great bit of skill) so it's only the left that's relevant and it's very, very close. Really would be like one of those Hawkeye calls in tennis where it's millimetres one way or the other. I'd say probably out - but if it had been a Glasgow try that had been chalked off like that I'd not have been impressed!

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (71.5 KiB) Viewed 10968 times
disco
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Didn't they say in the commentary that the law states in situations like this the defence gets the benefit?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Just finished watching the game

I thought our attack was good, very good at times. The line Freaun took for his try was sublime, but the others were more old school beating a man, Dean did well, Kinghorn is brilliant.

Really encouraging stuff.

Less so is the fact that up front we are not up to scratch yet, some good performances, but I want us to dominate, be far more aggressive (and smart) at the breakdown. Our lineout was very poor.

Big Berg is going well so far, the others all need to step up.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:50 am

Said it before about Nel, taking him with Scotland has hurt his early season form and fitness. After so long out he could have done with a proper pre season. We need to effectively let him play his was into match fitness and form.

On the game, plenty to work on but it is better to have plenty to work on after taking 9 out of 10 points than 4 or 5 (or worse). 5 points next week is a must as the fixtures get harder from then.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Props, Nel in particular, tend to benefit from playing a lot of games to get battle hardened. He was at his best when playing every week. Jacobson was the same, rest them and they struggle.

Give him time, just getting warmed up.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Props, Nel in particular, tend to benefit from playing a lot of games to get battle hardened. He was at his best when playing every week. Jacobson was the same, rest them and they struggle.

Exactly right. He's always looked his best when he's playing lots of games and playing every week.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Props, Nel in particular, tend to benefit from playing a lot of games to get battle hardened. He was at his best when playing every week. Jacobson was the same, rest them and they struggle.

while this is very true, the other side of the coin is the traditionally soft Edinburgh culture where you get picked however you play. He (and the other props) need to up their game pretty quick. McCallum if he is fit should be featuring on merit currently. Competition and threat of losing their place is a great stimulator
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd add that something that is often overlooked is how important Dicko is to the Edinburgh scrum - it is a different beast when he is there, all the timing seems to come from him
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Plus, Sammy Highflyer Pass Watch - 39 passes, I counted two that Richie Gray would have struggled with, otherwise all in front of the man to keep the momentum going.

His box kicking is very good and he ran a good support line for his try.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Thoughts on Weir's performance? Last week he was superb but this week I was expecting him to get hooked at half time.

Other than him, and Fruean being properly rusty, the backs were very good. They basically won the game by hitting great lines.

I bet there were some firm words spoken in training yesterday/today as the general performance was full of errors and the intensity wasn't right. Felt after all the plaudits about our defence last week we were too happy to be defending in our 22.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm

SHC - box kicking is much improved over last season, aided by a good kick chase with Harries in particular putting a lot of pressure on the opposition. I think SHCs general game management is better possibly because everyone now knows what they should be doing. With his acceleration I would perhaps like to see him try and run more but overall so far an improvement over the last couple of seasons.

Weir – agree very good last week, his defence I thought was good this week. Kicking from the tee no issues. And in a week when the backs scored 4 tries it feels wrong to be criticsing his attacking play, but I am not sure if he was actually very involved in any of the tries? At times he looks to be forcing things too much and his kicking from hand can be a bit erratic. He is clearly a passionate player with a desire to win I wonder if it is maybe a case of getting too wound up or something and losing a bit of focus.

Scrum – 2 observations from me, but please note as a former centre I admit to having never been involved in scrum so could be irrelevant 1, I think the conditioning looks a little different this season probably most noticeable in the front rows I think Ford, Nel and Berghan all look a few KGs lighter and i am sure I saw Nel first tackler after a kick chase at one point, could being lighter have taken the edge off the scrum power? and 2, bit like TH re Dicko, I think our scrum also performs better with Bresler in the 2nd row get the impression a lot of power comes through from him.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:1, I think the conditioning looks a little different this season probably most noticeable in the front rows I think Ford, Nel and Berghan all look a few KGs lighter

The co-commentator on BBC Alba said in the Cardiff game that Ford had lost 10kg.

Might be some exaggeration involved, of course.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Frenchy wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:1, I think the conditioning looks a little different this season probably most noticeable in the front rows I think Ford, Nel and Berghan all look a few KGs lighter

The co-commentator on BBC Alba said in the Cardiff game that Ford had lost 10kg.

Might be some exaggeration involved, of course.

Pfft 10kgs surely that is just a lost packed lunch for a member of the front row? :)

that is quite a bit I guess, if Bergahn or Nel are losing similar that is an easy 15-20 kg out of the pack which adds up
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum