Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alba fr

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alb

Postby joe soap on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 am

5pts, some lovely tries and lines run, even some very good passing for the tries.

in the end Drags fitness looked very suspect as did bench quality, while Edin's bench was good in the main.

However, the undoubted pluses apart, there was a lot to be concerned about. Looked close to collapsing again and if that Drags try had stood................better teams would have taken us at that point. Lack of concentration and poor discipline. Still not getting nearly enough work form the props, most worryingly Nel looks off the pace and again barely held his end up against a poor scrum.

So we have beaten 2 poor Welsh teams, hopefully next week we hear less about training well, different attitude etc and just a wee bit about how many errors they made and how much they have to improve.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 am

GaryIPA wrote:Tmos decision was correct

you seen very confident of that. Ill take it of course but he seemed to have quick look from one angle and it looked far from obvious that the foot touched the line. Hopefully TMO had better resolution and another angle. It was a key decision at a key moment in the game
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 am

BP win is 5 points, I don't think we should be complaining too much. Yes there were lots of errors, but most of them can be fixed, lineout, dropped balls etc. What we did have was a steely determination to win which is what we have been sorely lacking.

The attack whilst not exactly flowing moves looked to have some quality, the lines we are hitting are fantastic and at pace, also the passing, the flick from Dean and the delay on the pass from Fruaen were sublime.

The TMO decision was interesting, I think if it had been away and against us we would have been shouting about a homer TMO, having said that he will have had a better resolution than us, extremely tight though. I don't think it was pivotal, we would still have held on I think, although we may not have got the BP. the defence was also good particularly when down to 14.

Good teams win when playing badly and we did that, although against a more competent opposition is may have been a different story. Next 2 games will be a different test altogether.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Fergei on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:31 am

At least all the failings last night are things that can be worked on. Lineouts, territorial kicking and intensity from the first kick. If we can improve in those areas and combine it with improved backline play then we can maybe give Ulster a challenge for 3rd place in the Conference.
Fergei
Embra Debut

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:35 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:BP win is 5 points, I don't think we should be complaining too much. Yes there were lots of errors, but most of them can be fixed, lineout, dropped balls etc. What we did have was a steely determination to win which is what we have been sorely lacking.

The attack whilst not exactly flowing moves looked to have some quality, the lines we are hitting are fantastic and at pace, also the passing, the flick from Dean and the delay on the pass from Fruaen were sublime.

I think we can complain - line-out was awful first half despite having one of the best line-out callers in the comp, scrum wasn't as good as we've hoped it will be (I guess after neck surgery Nel might not hit levels he used to), very slack discipline and silly things like Weir's raking. We need to get the set piece absolutely correct and cut out silly bits of play if we're to compete for play offs this year as a team better than the Dragons would have punished us.

And fans are right to complain because the coaches know that wasn't good enough. Cockers said so himself post match.

Agree on really classy bits of skill from Kinghorn, Dean and Fruean though. A delight to watch.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:02 am

I think there is room for improvement and complaining.

9 points out of 10, I will take that over demolishing their scrum, a smooth lineout and a toothless attack resulting in a coupel of narrow losses.

I agree there is plenty to work on but we keep saying sport is a results based business, and so far we are getting results. Bradley had the team playing some great rugby and took us nowhere, Id would rather win ugly, certainly in the short term.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:19 am

I've only seen the scores so far, our attack looked good, some nice lines being run.

I agree with Gary and the TMO, I looked at a photo on Wales Online, if there is any media that will show a favourable shot for the Drags, it will be Wales Online.
Sad git that I am, I held a straight edge along the touchline on the photo and the guy's heel is partly obsured - in touch.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:25 am

Would that not be affected if you aren't looking directly down the line though?

Would be great to have haweye for that but would imagine the cost of the tech would be huge.

I think he did just touch it but I would have been disappointed if we had a try chalked off based on the footage shown, I think they should have got the benefit of the doubt.

As an aside, Harries looked powerful last night, not the quickest but certainly not shy about running over people.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:59 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Would that not be affected if you aren't looking directly down the line though?

Would be great to have haweye for that but would imagine the cost of the tech would be huge.

I think he did just touch it but I would have been disappointed if we had a try chalked off based on the footage shown, I think they should have got the benefit of the doubt.

As an aside, Harries looked powerful last night, not the quickest but certainly not shy about running over people.

Not so much benefit of the doubt but per the protocols "Any relevant information taken into consideration must be CLEAR and OBVIOUS". I'd lean towards his heel was on the edge of the line but I'm not sure the footage was clear and obvious enough to overrule the onfield decision.

Loved the Edinburgh fan in the aftermath of the try being chalked off who roared "Do your job touch judge" as if it had been perfectly obvious to them from their place in the stand (and in real time) that Amos had touched that blade of grass with whitewash on it :lol:
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:58 pm

RE: the neutrality of match officials, our game was nothing compared to the Leinster game in Dublin last night, which had an Irish ref, Irish touch judges and an Irish TMO.

Part of me wonders how that can possibly be justified, but then I remember it's Leinster, so pretty much anything goes ...
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think there is room for improvement and complaining.

9 points out of 10, I will take that over demolishing their scrum, a smooth lineout and a toothless attack resulting in a coupel of narrow losses.

I agree there is plenty to work on but we keep saying sport is a results based business, and so far we are getting results. Bradley had the team playing some great rugby and took us nowhere, Id would rather win ugly, certainly in the short term.

Complaining the wrong word perhaps - critique is better. I also think Nel, Toolis, Bradbury and Watson who I thought were quite will come on as they've not had a proper pre-season being away with Scotland. Ford solidified the line-out when he came on too which was good and the opposite to last week! It's just those bits of inconsistency we need to iron out.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I've only seen the scores so far, our attack looked good, some nice lines being run.

I agree with Gary and the TMO, I looked at a photo on Wales Online, if there is any media that will show a favourable shot for the Drags, it will be Wales Online.
Sad git that I am, I held a straight edge along the touchline on the photo and the guy's heel is partly obsured - in touch.

If anyone's been watching the cricket recently they are all over the no ball on review. Last nights was an easy decision to make in comparison.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 pm

I thought Hoyland did a shift too but not seeing him mentioned much
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Hoyland good in attack and defence only Weir and gilchrist made more tackles. Kinghorns attacking stats very impressive.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557

3324 at the match, hopefully winning and the improvement to facilities may see more next week.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Hoyland good in attack and defence only Weir and gilchrist made more tackles. Kinghorns attacking stats very impressive.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557

3324 at the match, hopefully winning and the improvement to facilities may see more next week.

Fair comment all round
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum