Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alba fr

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alba fr

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm

I know it is early in the week with the dust barely settled on our first match but an away win and an ever increasing level of optimism around this season has me looking forward to getting to Myreside for our first home game.

Can we backup last weeks away win with a first home win of the season? I think this is an important test to see if there has been a significant change in mindset under Cockerill. Too often in the past we have underperformed against the teams around us in the league but lifted our game for the likes of Glasgow and Ulster. These are the games we need to win, and when the opportunity presents, be accurate and win well.

Dragons are having a bit of a difficult spell so if we deliver another 80min performance at least on par with last week I think we should be ok. Subject to injuries and weather (light rain forecast at present) we should have the firepower to score some tries and if we take our chances I would like to think there may even be a try BP opportunity.

Think there were a few knocks against Cardiff so I think we will see some changes I am hoping to see Watson, Fruean and Graham play, but will be interesting to see Cockerills selection and if there is some rotation where squad depth allows with some of our internationals and young talent coming in.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Dragons @ Myreside Friday 8th 19:35 (BBC Alb

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I don't think we will see many changes, Cockers has made a bit play of players earning rewards and I would think an away win will be rewarded with a same again selection, unless there are injuries.

Again it is back to culture and he will be keen to show even Fruaen and Watson will not jump the queue if the incumbent plays well. I may well be wrong but that is how I would read it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:29 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I don't think we will see many changes, Cockers has made a bit play of players earning rewards and I would think an away win will be rewarded with a same again selection, unless there are injuries.

Again it is back to culture and he will be keen to show even Fruaen and Watson will not jump the queue if the incumbent plays well. I may well be wrong but that is how I would read it.

The thing is RC mentioned having Fruean available for this week.
I think it's a bit early in the season to be playing the same side, it's a balancing act, I think, between rewarding good performance and getting everyone match-fit for when the call comes - we will need players battle-ready for when the AIs kick in, same for the 6N and we are sure to pick up a few injuries along the way
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:22 pm

True, would be a nice issue to have with lots of call ups to Scotland! I'm not sure we will look that far ahead, the culture seems to be the watch word and building that is most important that this stage. Plenty of time to rotate but getting the jump on the Drags and Blues could make or break our season.

Its a luxury to pick the same team twice in a row in pro rugby given the physicality but I just don't see there being many changes. Poss a couple as you say.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Having made the comment about internationals I am now trying to think if we actually have any, other than Watson, that have not been involved at all yet or are not injured to come back in?

Of the younger players involved pre-season I thought Graham looked sharp and CHH impressed when he got on and with Fife taking a knock and Bresler and Gilchrist having played all games so far it may be a chance for them to come in some capacity and get them a little exposure to pro rugby.

Next few weeks shape up as follows

08 Sep - Dragons (h)
15 Sep - Treviso (h)
22 Sep - Scarlets (a)
29 Sep - Leinster (a)
06 Oct – Zebre (h)

Having won in Cardiff we have a good opportunity with a couple of home games to build some confidence and momentum before 2 really tricky away matches.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am

From Scrum magazine

Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach Richard Cockerill is set to give star signing Robbie Fruean his first outing on Friday.

The 29-year-old Kiwi centre joined on a two-year deal from Aviva Premiership outfit Bath in June, but has not appeared in an Edinburgh shirt yet.

“He trained on Monday and I expect him to be in the 23,” Cockerill said.

This will be exciting news for capital fans who are thinking of heading to Myreside for the Dragons match as Cockerill’s men look to make it two Guinness PRO14 wins from two.

Looking back on the 20-10 opening win at the Cardiff Blues, the Head Coach said: “You could see the doubts of last season probably coming in when it was 10-10 and you are thinking “this is really a pivotal moment for us”.

“We dug ourselves back into the game and got control and were unlucky not to score more tries. Defensively and mentally there was fantastic physicality. That should be the bare minimum, commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really.

“Attack wise we created enough opportunities to score five or six tries. A good start but we need to back it up.

“Our next task has to be fronting up this weekend. We should take confidence going away from home where we have not played well at in the past four or five years and getting a result. I think we can play a lot better and we have to get out on the training field yet again and work hard.

“It is about continuing to get that work ethic and mind set right in training as that gives us a better chance of getting it right on game night and not getting too comfortable about one win in Cardiff.

“The Dragons like to play an expansive game and have enough threats on the field to cause problems if you get it wrong. We will do our homework and make sure we do all our things right as the game approaches.”

I like this
[b][/“ Defensively and mentally there was fantastic physicality. That should be the bare minimum, commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really. b]
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Can anyone see how ticket sales are going? Are we close to a sell out?
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:08 pm

macdone wrote:Can anyone see how ticket sales are going? Are we close to a sell out?

It looks like both ends are sold out, there is seating available to the extreme left of the main stand and there are a good few standing tickets left.

At a very rough guesstimate, I'd say they are short by a good few hundred, maybe as much as seven hundred or more

Still, early doors and all that, and the capacity is listed at five and a half thousand, win, win and win again and it will improve

It scunners me that I live so far away atm :(
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:02 am

Tichtheid wrote:
macdone wrote:Can anyone see how ticket sales are going? Are we close to a sell out?

It looks like both ends are sold out, there is seating available to the extreme left of the main stand and there are a good few standing tickets left.

At a very rough guesstimate, I'd say they are short by a good few hundred, maybe as much as seven hundred or more

Still, early doors and all that, and the capacity is listed at five and a half thousand, win, win and win again and it will improve

Thanks Tichtheid. A few wins and a decent bar could work wonders.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 am

Glory hunter! it will have been a blessing the last few seasons. :)

Think I saw a tweet that details of the new bar are due out today with food and drink menu etc

Looks to have been a bit of a lift in interest with Cockerill coming in I think we will be around the 4000-4500 mark which is an improvement. Important to put in a good performance (on and off field) and get folk coming back.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:53 am

Tichtheid wrote:

A quick glance at the website suggest to me there are around 1300-1400 tickets available.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am

biffer wrote:
A quick glance at the website suggest to me there are around 1300-1400 tickets available.

I was counting green dots on a screen that wouldn't let me zoom out, so I doubled the number i got to half way along the standing "terrace" and ignored some elsewhere.
Add in a bit of early season optimision and it wasn't the best application of the scientific method, I confess.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 am

Tichtheid wrote:
biffer wrote:

I was counting green dots on a screen that wouldn't let me zoom out, so I doubled the number i got to half way along the standing "terrace" and ignored some elsewhere.
Add in a bit of early season optimision and it wasn't the best application of the scientific method, I confess.

Not going to pretend I was particularly scientific either, but there were about twelve rows of green dots, each row had about a hundred and add some on for the spaces in the stand.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Team's oot

Kinghorn, Hoyland, Dean, Fruean, Harries, Weir, SHC
Rizzo, McInally, Nel, Toolis, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury

Subs Marfo, Ford, Berghan, MacKenzie, du Preez, Fowles, Tovey, Rasolea
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:21 pm

biffer wrote:Team's oot

Kinghorn, Hoyland, Dean, Fruean, Harries, Weir, SHC
Rizzo, McInally, Nel, Toolis, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury

Subs Marfo, Ford, Berghan, MacKenzie, du Preez, Fowles, Tovey, Rasolea

Really excited to see Fruean start.

No Graham, though, very happy to see Hoyland back.

Is McCallum's absence a sign that he's being seen as a tighthead? I hope so.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum