Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby BigD163 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm

joe soap wrote:
gowrie wrote:Nel, Bradbury and Bennett are the only ones right now who have deals to 2020.

in which case Cockerill can't wait for contracts to expire before moving some on. He has to be able to set out his stall with his team and no time servers taking a pay check - and be well into that before his own contract is up. An example has to be made or its same old same old.

good data , Thanks

Problem is, that potentially paying people off means having to pay up contracts (if no break clause). All takes money out of the budget. It is going to be an piece by piece process and realistically the 19/20 season before it would be fully his squad.

Some of those deals are mind boggling fowles and Kennedy did nothing to merit 2 additional years.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 pm

BigD163 wrote:Problem is, that potentially paying people off means having to pay up contracts (if no break clause). All takes money out of the budget. It is going to be an piece by piece process and realistically the 19/20 season before it would be fully his squad.

as I replied to you earlier "players can be shipped on while still in contract, often without extra expense". You even pinpointed a couple of ways yourself. And there will be break clauses in the longer deals. It has to be done, and the right players shipped out.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm

gowrie wrote:Just to be clear who is and isn't. This is what I put together from all the news about contracts

P: Bryce, Marfo
H: Cochrane, Fenton, McInally, Turner
L: Bresler, Carmichael, Toolis
BR: du Preez, Hardie, Mata
SH: Fraser, Hidalgo-Clyne
FH: Tovey, Weir
C: Burleigh, Dean, Galbraith, Rasolea
B3: Bryce, Hoyland
Coach: Hodge

One semi-interesting tidbit, Ross Ford is the only hooker in Scotland who isn't OOC at the end of this season.

It's bad that of those players I'm only worried about Toolis and Turner being signed by a bigger side.

Have a sneaking feeling du Preez might be moved to Glasgow, has the kind of ball skills they need and a hell of a player if someone gets him into shape.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 am

joe soap wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Problem is, that potentially paying people off means having to pay up contracts (if no break clause). All takes money out of the budget. It is going to be an piece by piece process and realistically the 19/20 season before it would be fully his squad.

as I replied to you earlier "players can be shipped on while still in contract, often without extra expense". You even pinpointed a couple of ways yourself. And there will be break clauses in the longer deals. It has to be done, and the right players shipped out.

I agree, just noting that some (not all) may need to he paid off which will impact budgets. Not all players will have break clauses in their deals and we won't be getting fees for some of those that will need moving on.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Treviso beat Ospreys which might add a bit of retrospective perspective.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

It does a little in terms of coldly looking at the result.

But it was the performance rather then the result which was most disappointing. If Treviso had outplayed us and won I can accept that. We beat ourselves (with a little help from Mr Wilkinson)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum