Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby joe soap on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:12 pm

BigD163 wrote:
joe soap wrote:Or if they will still be here next season?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41319162

That's an interesting point. RC should already be looking at recruitment but not sure who is all OOC in the summer. Gilchrist and Hardie are. Weir?

he will have started looking before he got here. And players can be shipped on while still in contract, often without extra expense. Moving on a couple would be a big big statement. Of course one or two might resist moving at all costs.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Will be interesting to see how many heads roll when the team for Scarlets is announced. Away to the current league champions is a risky fixture to bring in lots of youngsters, but having said what he's said it can't really be just a couple of changes or he loses credibility.

Depends I guess. I am not sure realistically how many changes he can make.

He could start McCallum, Ritchie, Bradbury, Dean, Graham and Kinghorn with Carmichael, Miller/Crosbie and Baggot on the bench. They are all 23 or younger.

probably 2 or 3 out of the squad, another couple benched. Having said what he did Cockrill now needs to get this right - the ones he leaves out are at best in last chance saloon hanging on by a jaiket on a shoogly nail - and everyone from the players to backroom staff to journos to fans will know that. At worst they are already on the way out of Edinburgh
This should be a marker, not just about selection
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 pm

BigD163 wrote:

That's an interesting point. RC should already be looking at recruitment but not sure who is all OOC in the summer. Gilchrist and Hardie are. Weir?

Gilchrist isn't as he signed a new deal, Hardie is but not the type of guy you want to let go and Weir is as well as Tovey. Unlikely we go into next year without a 10 - especially without an SQ 10. So unless Baggott is good or one is unearthed on the sub continent it's likely he'll stay for numbers sake.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 pm

doedin wrote:I was initially impressed with Harries when I saw TV highlights but in the flesh he is very one dimensional, on Friday he rarely came in off his wing to look for work etc and was very quiet for a lot of the game. He also coughed up an easy try. Farndale is similarly limited, a good straight line runner who can beat a man 1-on-1 however dont ask him to do some of the other duties. He might as well get a start to see if he can do better than Harries.

How often have you seen Farndale play 15s? A star on the 7s - Harries wasn't and I believe still a record try scorer at under20 level despite being in a terrible Scotland side. The kid has a huge amount of potential - you worry about the kicking game but can be coached ... Maybe not by Hodge though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

Gilchrist isn't as he signed a new deal, Hardie is but not the type of guy you want to let go and Weir is as well as Tovey. Unlikely we go into next year without a 10 - especially without an SQ 10. So unless Baggott is good or one is unearthed on the sub continent it's likely he'll stay for numbers sake.

Just to be clear who is and isn't. This is what I put together from all the news about contracts

P: Bryce, Marfo
H: Cochrane, Fenton, McInally, Turner
L: Bresler, Carmichael, Toolis
BR: du Preez, Hardie, Mata
SH: Fraser, Hidalgo-Clyne
FH: Tovey, Weir
C: Burleigh, Dean, Galbraith, Rasolea
B3: Bryce, Hoyland
Coach: Hodge

One semi-interesting tidbit, Ross Ford is the only hooker in Scotland who isn't OOC at the end of this season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:36 pm

BigD163 wrote:

I thought GG was a 1 year deal - my mistake.

With Hardie as per the discissions last year for me.it really depends on the money. The 1st team.badly needs some money spent on other areas if players are available to come in. Hardie, Breaker etc may be casulties of that.
Last edited by BigD163 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 pm

gowrie wrote:
Just to be clear who is and isn't. This is what I put together from all the news about contracts

Coach: Hodge

One semi-interesting tidbit, Ross Ford is the only hooker in Scotland who isn't OOC at the end of this season.

Assuming no pay offs, retirements or transfers I'd be letting Bryce(TH), Marfo, Cochrane, Bresler, Mata, Tovey, Burleigh, Rasolea and Hodge go. I do suspect Kennedy will be released.

Shoogly peg for CdP (based on early season form), Bryce, SHC and Weir (if alternatives can be found). I do suspect weir will stay for the reasons FKL outlined.

We need to give Carmichael a run in the matchday squad.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 am

doedin wrote:I was initially impressed with Harries when I saw TV highlights but in the flesh he is very one dimensional, on Friday he rarely came in off his wing to look for work etc and was very quiet for a lot of the game. He also coughed up an easy try. Farndale is similarly limited, a good straight line runner who can beat a man 1-on-1 however dont ask him to do some of the other duties. He might as well get a start to see if he can do better than Harries.

How often have you seen Farndale play 15s? A star on the 7s - Harries wasn't and I believe still a record try scorer at under20 level despite being in a terrible Scotland side. The kid has a huge amount of potential - you worry about the kicking game but can be coached ... Maybe not by Hodge though.

I've seen him play 15s since he was 15-16, he is same age as my son and they played against each other regularly over the years. He has always been a strong straight line runner and can beat a man, however his hands were not wonderful and he can't really kick under pressure. He just isn't a natural footballer but is a big, fast strong guy. I suspect he has had any amount of coaching over the years and the 7s will have been good for him but he is what he is.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm

gowrie wrote:

Harries is on a 1-year deal I think, so up at the end of the season.

When are Kennedy, Dickinson, McKenzie and Ritchie due for renewal?
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Anybody know what the current injury situation is? There are a number of options throughout the squad, for a number of positions, but it is dependent on who is and isn't available. It is hard to find this sort of information as it isn't generally listed on team announcements.

Dickinson is still a wee while off, I believe.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I think Dickinson, McKenzie and Ritchie all signed 3yr deals within the last 2 seasons so at least a year to run on each.

Kennedy is contracted to May 2019 signed after the end of last season.

Injuries - not seen anything since the preseason update a month ago.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... ury-update

EDIT: Dickinson, McKenzie and Ritchie are all contracted to May 2019
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Fergei on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm

All I'd say is that Treviso may have improved. They conceded only 7 points in a second half in Munster and ran Ulster very close (Ulster then beating Scarlets). The Dragons then comfortably defeated Connacht. Edinburgh might not be quite as godawful as people think.
Fergei
Embra Debut

Postby gowrie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 pm

royc wrote:Harries is on a 1-year deal I think, so up at the end of the season.

When are Kennedy, Dickinson, McKenzie and Ritchie due for renewal?

Cheers for correcting the Harries omission.

And because I've already got it written down, here's the contracts up in 2019
P: Berghan, Dell, Dickinson, McCallum, Sutherland
H: Ford
L: Gilchrist, Hunter-Hill, McKenzie
BR: Miller, Ritchie, Watson
SH: Fowles, Kennedy
FH: N/A
C: Fruean
B3: Brown, Graham, Kinghorn, Van Der Merwe
Coach: Cockerill

Nel, Bradbury and Bennett are the only ones right now who have deals to 2020.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:14 pm

The Courier has some additional, interesting quotes from the press conference.

RC holds himself ultimately responsible for the loss, like a proper coach, says some of the under-performers will have to get another chance on Friday and is stressing defence v Scarlets.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/r ... edinburgh/
royc
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

gowrie wrote:Nel, Bradbury and Bennett are the only ones right now who have deals to 2020.

in which case Cockerill can't wait for contracts to expire before moving some on. He has to be able to set out his stall with his team and no time servers taking a pay check - and be well into that before his own contract is up. An example has to be made or its same old same old.

good data , Thanks
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum