Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 pm

gowrie wrote:Decent team which should win at home. Treviso look solid on paper but have been fairly weak so far, and their bench doesn't stand out.

Hoped we'd see one of the younger guys like McCallum/Carmichael/Miller on the bench. Need a few of them up to speed before the internationals come around.

Agreed, this is the type of game to blood youngsters although McCallum and Carmichael have shown well at pro level.

In any case, good opportunity for Fowles and I would love to see du Preez hit form.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Frenchy wrote:
Wottie wrote:No Marty Banks and for Manu not to be included against his old club must mean he's crocked again :roll:

Their injury list is huge. Banks, Manu and sixteen others:

"Marty Banks, Robert Barbieri, Ignacio Brex, Andrea Bronzini, Andrea Buondonno, Whetu Douglas, Filippo Filippetto, Ornel Gega, Irné Herbst, Tommaso Iannone, Nasi Manu, Luca Morisi, Sebastian Negri, Nicola Quaglio, Marco Riccioni, Michael Tagicakibau, Alessandro Zanni e Matteo Zanusso."

There's some decent players on that list!
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Ordainarily I'd agree that this is a fixture where Edinburgh should be playing some youngsters, but I don't think this is a game to start youngsters. Edinburgh need to make certain of points in these early fixtures, and perhaps more importantly, the senior players are still getting used to the Cockerill way. Bring the youngsters in once the senior players have settled into the way Cockerill wants them to play.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:08 am

Weegie wrote:Ordainarily I'd agree that this is a fixture where Edinburgh should be playing some youngsters, but I don't think this is a game to start youngsters. Edinburgh need to make certain of points in these early fixtures, and perhaps more importantly, the senior players are still getting used to the Cockerill way. Bring the youngsters in once the senior players have settled into the way Cockerill wants them to play.

Heartily agree. Starting with 3 wins on the bounce is a good achievement, going into some tougher fixtures. While it shouldn't be a risk to blood 1 or 2 of the younger guys, as some of them have shown they have the quality already to compete against the likes of the Italian teams, that is outweighed by the importance of getting these 3 wins under our belt. We also need the first choices to be as match fit as possible ahead of the tougher fixtures and the European games.

The young guys time will come. There are plenty of games and there will be plenty of opportunity to make a mark. It is up to those guys to seize their chances when they come.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:25 am

Weegie wrote:Ordainarily I'd agree that this is a fixture where Edinburgh should be playing some youngsters, but I don't think this is a game to start youngsters. Edinburgh need to make certain of points in these early fixtures, and perhaps more importantly, the senior players are still getting used to the Cockerill way. Bring the youngsters in once the senior players have settled into the way Cockerill wants them to play.

Or to put it another way, Cockers is following Solomons' Wisdom by looking to bring the youngsters in once the team is winning but just doing a much, much better job of it than Solomons did...!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am

I see that point of view, but the younger guys also need a chance to bed into the squad and this on paper is one of the easier games to do it especially off the bench. At some point the internationalists will be away and a few may get thrown in at the deep end.

After this the fixture list is:
Scarlets A
Leinster A
Zebre H
Irish A
Krasny A
Treviso A
Ospreys H (possibly without either sides internationals)
Tour to SA - Definitely without international players

So realistically the two Italian sides at hone over the next month is the easiest environment to give guys game time off the bench in a team that is doing well rather than the likely mass changes for the Krasny game. McCallum could have come in for Marfo quite easily IMO and Carmichael or CHH over MacKenzie would have been fairly straight forward. McCallum especially given he has done the full pre season so will know what Cockers is after better than some.

The tour to SA is going to be hard despite how jamesmatthew they've been and it is very likely that Ford, Dell, Nel and Toolis will be missing and it is probable/possible that McInally and Bresler or Gilchrist will also be on international duty. McCallum, Carmichael/CHH, even Fenton or Renwick will possibly be needed in SA.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Its a AlanLewis than we have the Saffers during the AIs as they are unlikely to be missing may players while we will be. Although it may not do any harm for Edinburgh to be out of the way and not have training disrupted etc at Murrayfield. It should help with the focus on Edinburgh that Cockers was on about.

I agree we need to win these games now, argueably the Leinster/Scarlets games are a bit of a free hit as we aren't expected to win, but we just have to beat the Italians, its not negotiable.

I would not be surprised if there was less of a focus on the Challenge cup games and more youngsters get a run then. Particularly if we are still well in the mix in the league. That needs to be the focus of the season, a real chance of getting into the Euro Cup next season. A run to the challenge semis and another 8th place isn't a successful season.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Team looks good and I like the rotations, it all looks sound and thought through.

By close of play tonight, I reckon that 28 of the squad will have had one or more games so far. Another 5 are injured, which leaves just 12 still to get a game. That 12 includes all 7 young guns promoted from the Academy this term. I think it is sensible to get the squad bedded-in first before calling up the young ones, it is only the third game after all. I can see McCallum, Carmichael or maybe CHH getting a shot v Zebre or the South Africans later on, the rest will as always need to wait their chances. Far more important to get the points tonight.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Treviso have proved usually difficult over the years (even more so away! both to Edinburgh and Glasgow.I think this will be a big test mentally as we are clearly favourites -which doesn't usually sit well with Scottish teams-but the players do have some confidence now after two wins in a row. A win is absolutely vital and with rain in the air a 4 pointer would (imho) be quite satisfactory.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Gotta be said - keeping up to date with an Edinburgh game via infrequent Twitter updates is truly agonising!!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Rico wrote:Gotta be said - keeping up to date with an Edinburgh game via infrequent Twitter updates is truly agonising!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-union/41243695 for the BBC Scotland radio commentary
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby crabbie on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Interesting post Mortum .
14 - 0 up to get beat 20-17. A lot of X factors were found wanting tonight
Peter Wright ( radio ) getting really stuck in about the rubbish on show
crabbie
International

Postby byro on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Garbage .
Beaten by the weakest team in the competition.
byro
Established pro

Postby 02ict328 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 pm

AlanLewis
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 pm

And so the bright new dawn clouds over into gloominess and p!ssing rain ...
Rico
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum