Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby Weegie on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Welcome to Edinburgh Mr Cockerill.
Weegie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:45 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Treviso did run Ulster close last week but this was still a joke. Poor performances from everyone, Kinghorn especially came crashing back down to earth.

There's a real problem with the mentality at Edinburgh, and if coaching can't fix it then Dodson and Johnson will have to by not offering new deals.

Although Hodge needed gone, nothing to do with his coaching - he might be alright. But giving him a job was just rewarding a failure, something Edinburgh do far too much.

McCallum, Fenton, Hunter-Hill, Miller, Fraser, Baggott all in next week. I am bored of watching these same players play like this.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby fabian on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Too many in comfort zone.
Need a clear out
fabian
International
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby doedin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 pm

First game of the season and possibly the last! Embra were awful. Can't think of anyone who got pass marks tonight, just the same old, same old. Played ok for 10 min spell in first half and that was that. Second half was dreadful. Our forwards were solid if unspectacular but our backs were very very poor. Italians were far more inventive in their backs in second half, their passing was far zippier than ours and were able to make overlaps with wrap arounds and switching play and our defensive was poor, big gaps in centre of the midfield. How the ref didnt award a penalty try at the end unbelievable, but even then I am not sure we deserved a win. Cockerill will be earning his money in next few weeks.
doedin
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:12 pm

Hard to pinpoint exactly what went wrong, we were just awful. Backs passing was horrific, either fired at shoulders or nowhere near the man. Started brightly but all sent to pot. Fruen was good but understandably not fit for a whole game. Both wingers were terruble, basic basic stuff, dropped balls, carrying into touch and dropping off tackles. We are really short out wide now.

Forwards were fine but not dynamic, CDP is powerful but looks to have bulked and slowed, Bradbury very quiet, Watson same when he came on.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Disappointing display, no one can deny. Not entirely surprising that we haven't become a good side in the space of a couple of months, and the problems of last season were there to see again tonight, especially in the second half. Cockers has said that we'll have some bad results along the way, and whilst he may not have expected it against Treviso, I have to hope this was just one of those nights. Any momentum we were building has gone now, and with 2 very difficult fixtures coming up our season could start unraveling unless the team can bounce back. Testing times ahead.
User avatar
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Midlothian

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby disco on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 am

doedin wrote:First game of the season and possibly the last! Embra were awful. Can't think of anyone who got pass marks tonight, just the same old, same old. Played ok for 10 min spell in first half and that was that. Second half was dreadful. Our forwards were solid if unspectacular but our backs were very very poor. Italians were far more inventive in their backs in second half, their passing was far zippier than ours and were able to make overlaps with wrap arounds and switching play and our defensive was poor, big gaps in centre of the midfield. How the ref didnt award a penalty try at the end unbelievable, but even then I am not sure we deserved a win. Cockerill will be earning his money in next few weeks.

Forget the ref for a minute - out of Edinburgh's control. Why in the name of the wee man would they choose to kick to the corner when scrums went uncontested? The law trials require that uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.

So that means if Edinburgh take another scrum after De Marchi's card it's 8 v 8 in the setpiece and 7 v 5 out in the backs. Surely you have to trust that your backline can find the space to score in that scenario? Granted there's no drive in the scrum but the opposition aren't allowed to break until the ball is out either - and it's much more obvious if they do try and get away early. There's also no risk of losing the ball. There are so many moving parts at the lineout and unless you get a really effective maul going no guarantees your tying in more than a couple of defenders.
disco
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 am

500 capacity Meadowbank looking more appropriate now!

Very disappointing, two relatively poor and increasingly poor performances since Cardiff but we got away with it v Dragons.

We knew we were not going to become a good team overnight but that was a pretty harsh reality check for all.

Interesting to see Cockerills and the squads reaction, champions away is a tough game next week but an opportunity to right some wrongs in terms of performance.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 am

disco wrote:
doedin wrote:First game of the season and possibly the last! Embra were awful. Can't think of anyone who got pass marks tonight, just the same old, same old. Played ok for 10 min spell in first half and that was that. Second half was dreadful. Our forwards were solid if unspectacular but our backs were very very poor. Italians were far more inventive in their backs in second half, their passing was far zippier than ours and were able to make overlaps with wrap arounds and switching play and our defensive was poor, big gaps in centre of the midfield. How the ref didnt award a penalty try at the end unbelievable, but even then I am not sure we deserved a win. Cockerill will be earning his money in next few weeks.

Forget the ref for a minute - out of Edinburgh's control. Why in the name of the wee man would they choose to kick to the corner when scrums went uncontested? The law trials require that uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.

So that means if Edinburgh take another scrum after De Marchi's card it's 8 v 8 in the setpiece and 7 v 5 out in the backs. Surely you have to trust that your backline can find the space to score in that scenario? Granted there's no drive in the scrum but the opposition aren't allowed to break until the ball is out either - and it's much more obvious if they do try and get away early. There's also no risk of losing the ball. There are so many moving parts at the lineout and unless you get a really effective maul going no guarantees your tying in more than a couple of defenders.


Good point, no idea why we didn't do that. Even when we did release the ball to the back the only ploy we had at that point was Rasolea doing a very poor Fruean impression.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby oldballs on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 am

Even the school seconds would have a first phase move from the back of an uncontested scrum. Even more so against a team with two players in the bin. At a total loss as to what was going on in that last 10 min. But ... Who was making the decisions? Oh and we cannot hook which means if we cannot push over the ball we have no idea how to get the ball out. Maybe why we have no first phase moves. Pretty fundamental stuff and for a pro team to be so inept is inexcusable. At a loss to know what we do in attack training but that leads to a much deeper conversation within the club. Has to be back to basics with this squad. Simple lineout calls,basic uncomplicated rugby behind a scrum that produces simple quick ball,stuff you should be able to do in your sleep. Once you master that then move on. AB rugby is all about the basics of the game done very well. The more you over think the game the more mistakes you make.
oldballs
One cap wonder
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:
disco wrote:
doedin wrote:First game of the season and possibly the last! Embra were awful. Can't think of anyone who got pass marks tonight, just the same old, same old. Played ok for 10 min spell in first half and that was that. Second half was dreadful. Our forwards were solid if unspectacular but our backs were very very poor. Italians were far more inventive in their backs in second half, their passing was far zippier than ours and were able to make overlaps with wrap arounds and switching play and our defensive was poor, big gaps in centre of the midfield. How the ref didnt award a penalty try at the end unbelievable, but even then I am not sure we deserved a win. Cockerill will be earning his money in next few weeks.

Forget the ref for a minute - out of Edinburgh's control. Why in the name of the wee man would they choose to kick to the corner when scrums went uncontested? The law trials require that uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.

So that means if Edinburgh take another scrum after De Marchi's card it's 8 v 8 in the setpiece and 7 v 5 out in the backs. Surely you have to trust that your backline can find the space to score in that scenario? Granted there's no drive in the scrum but the opposition aren't allowed to break until the ball is out either - and it's much more obvious if they do try and get away early. There's also no risk of losing the ball. There are so many moving parts at the lineout and unless you get a really effective maul going no guarantees your tying in more than a couple of defenders.


Good point, no idea why we didn't do that. Even when we did release the ball to the back the only ploy we had at that point was Rasolea doing a very poor Fruean impression.


I am assuming a lack of rule awareness - thought as they could not drive scrum go line out and drive it v 13men. Poor whatever the reason and execution.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby dunna on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:32 am

So many simple basic errors in that match and some stupid decision making, what was Kinghorn thinking with that bloody basketball pass?!

Take the pen try away that we should have had, we should not have given up a 14 point lead. All round a very poor team performance. We seemed to lack imagination of how to get past them and when we tried punching through the middle often lost ground.

Massive set back.
dunna
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am

Cockerill largely agrees with many of the comments here.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41289424
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby Wottie on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:09 am

So question at 10am on Saturday morning. Would you rather be an Edinburgh Rugby or Springbok fan?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Edinburgh v Treviso Friday 15 Sep 19:35 @ Myreside

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:38 am

Wottie wrote:So question at 10am on Saturday morning. Would you rather be an Edinburgh Rugby or Springbok fan?


Edinburgh, the Springboks have been a proud rugby nation used to success, Edinburgh isn't a proud team or used to success so it's a lower perch to fall from.

I have a Saturday morning Q as well - after Cockers said that the internationals aren't performing - can anyone think of the last consistent Scotland cap to play up to their international standard for Edinburgh after being a consistent feature in the Scotland team? Only example I have is Dicko.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bignose, Google [Bot] and 7 guests