Scarlets v Edinburgh 23/09/2017 KO 19:35 (S4C from 19:15)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets v Edinburgh 23/09/2017 KO 19:35 (S4C from 19:15

Postby zt1903 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Anyway, red card aside Fowles and Weir were absolutely rank tonight. Hard to get any back play going when your half backs are that poor.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 pm

zt1903 wrote:Anyway, red card aside Fowles and Weir were absolutely rank tonight. Hard to get any back play going when your half backs are that poor.

Weir has been gash in all our games this season, not just tonight. His name should be top of the list for players to be dropped next week.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Maybe it is the wine but I thought the 14 men did pretty well second half without ever looking like troubling Scarlets. Mcinally and Ritchie pretty good again and watson looked back to form making good yards.

Final score could have been an awful lot worse, a major brain fart and lack of concentration at times pre-sending off an issue.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Not even that bad a game given our level tbh. Scarlets at home with their best team near as much would always be looking for a BP, and our application in defence was respectable especially when down a man.

Agree Weir was rubbish, we need more than just to rotate in Tovey, we need a real look for a new option at flyhalf either Baggott out of the academy or bringing in someone from outside even going as young as Eastgate. Might not be a major improvement to start with, but it'd at least be a chance to build towards something better.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Can't fault the effort, but way too many penalties given away, too many turnovers, poor ball retention, basically much the same problems as last year. After the red card we had no chance, but at least we didn't cave in. Some good performances, Ritchie and Watson doing particularly well. I thought Fowles did ok, but Weir offers zero attacking threat - what has happened to him over the last few months, or was he always this bad and I just didn't notice? Time for Tovey to get a start.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:45 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Maybe it is the wine but I thought the 14 men did pretty well second half without ever looking like troubling Scarlets. Mcinally and Ritchie pretty good again and watson looked back to form making good yards.

Final score could have been an awful lot worse, a major brain fart and lack of concentration at times pre-sending off an issue.

wine or not I think that is fair comment. I'd add I thought Bradbury carried well. What we really lacked again was that concentration all the way through - last week it meant a L rather than a W; this week it meant BP loss, instead of a narrow one. That is still top of the list of tings to sort, and also have to sort ball protection - support just too slow, carrier isolated too often
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Our ruck clearing out was poor, madness from Rizzo, pish from Weir.

Everything else okay, some positive individual performances, as Cockerill said last week a team acting like individuals rather than a 23 man team.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Ruck clearance was bad because Scarlets were falling around tackle area, but not obstructing ball, stopping our support players getting there in time. We didn't adapt to this tactic. Also close support wasn't going over the ball but to the side allowing competition for the ball, Gilchrist especially was guilty of this. The failure to correct these problems in-game is a bit worrying.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Can't fault the effort, but way too many penalties given away, too many turnovers, poor ball retention, basically much the same problems as last year. After the red card we had no chance, but at least we didn't cave in. Some good performances, Ritchie and Watson doing particularly well. I thought Fowles did ok, but Weir offers zero attacking threat - what has happened to him over the last few months, or was he always this bad and I just didn't notice? Time for Tovey to get a start.

Weir has always been terrible, it's not a recent thing. For the life of me I cannot work out why we persist with him. If he didn't have a contract with us no other team would have him.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Oldsalt on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:53 am

Watched the recording this morning. Old faults resurfacing like losing the ball in contact far too often. Agree they played better with 14 men. Hodge looked as if he really really did not want to be there.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 am

Our protection and presentation of the ball in rucks was terrible, we just didn't get close enough to the ball carrier. Scarlets are very effective at this though and their back row is setup to steal ball which they did all night.

The first 20 mins was just very poor rugby from both sides, not helped by Lacey seemingly breaking in a new whistle by blowing it as often as possible.

The red card, I did think you could argue he hit the chest, but you just cant do that anyway so cant argue with the red. Not sure how much exaggerating was going on with the scrum half, he did seem to go down clutching his face. It was pointless though, what was the best case scenario for Rizzo there? Agree that there was a lot of neck rolls missed, including a shocker on SHC when he won a turnover. Would like to have seen the early tackle on Bradbury a few more times, he seemed to be tipped and driven. Cant say many had a good game. In a way the red card masks what might have been a similar scoreline anyway.

In the first couple of games we seemed to be running hard at good angles in the backs, for some reason we have stopped doing that.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Half back is Edinburgh's biggest (playing) issue. Loads of other personnel / physiological issues.

I lost faith in Weir years ago, he is a very good place kicker but adds exactly nothing in an attacking handling sense.

Given the fact that Weir should/will be no-where near the Scotland squad & his continuing poor form for Edinburgh there is little point in him being @ Edinburgh.

I reckon Finlay Christie should be recruited (added incentive of a potential place in the Scotland squad) & the old chestnut of who plays 10 for Edinburgh!!!!!!!!!! - Baggott can't be any worse presently.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:15 pm

A pretty good effort in defence, particularly when down to 14, but, other than that, rather poor.

The three breakaways are mobile enough players but nonetheless the forwards look terribly slow - slow to the breakdown, slow to support the ball carrier, leaving tackled players isolated and inevitably turned over. Beirne alone won 4 turnovers as a result.

The ball-carrier should be offloading and passing out of the tackle but the forwards don't seem to know how to play an offloading game and anyway there is rarely anyone there in close support to offload to. This needs some root and branch change, the lone ball carrier hanging onto the ball in contact while the rest of the pack trundle up is not the way forward.

On speed and fitness, I think that Gilchrist and Nel need sidelined for a while and sent off to get themselves fit (along with CdeP). All have been injured and need to get back to match fitness and while game time may be beneficial to their rehab, let's get them in shape first of all.

The half backs looked very pedestrian next to Gareth Davies and Patchell. Fowles doesn't do anything particularly wrong and it was a good pass from him to put Harries away for the try, but neither he nor Weir offer any attacking threat at all. They are just too predictable and the centres gets closed down accordingly. There definitely needs to be some changes at half back. Where is Kennedy these days, he was playing quite well towards the end of last season? Tovey would be some improvement on Weir, I wonder if SHC would be any good at 10, he can attack, his kicking is OK though his passing is still variable? (I think that if Baggott was seen as an option, he would have been given a contract this term, as it's unusual to only have two standoffs in a squad, albeit Burleigh can cover there at a pinch).
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Jockybadger wrote:Half back is Edinburgh's biggest (playing) issue. Loads of other personnel / physiological issues.

I lost faith in Weir years ago, he is a very good place kicker but adds exactly nothing in an attacking handling sense.

Given the fact that Weir should/will be no-where near the Scotland squad & his continuing poor form for Edinburgh there is little point in him being @ Edinburgh.

I reckon Finlay Christie should be recruited (added incentive of a potential place in the Scotland squad) & the old chestnut of who plays 10 for Edinburgh!!!!!!!!!! - Baggott can't be any worse presently.

Christie turned down Rennie and Glasgow with a view to Scotland caps (according to Mark Palmer) so he won't want anywhere near Edinburgh. Signed a two year deal at the Canes anyway. 9 for me lets see what Shiel can do, failing that SHC, failing that might have to be a NSQ 9 for next year.

Baggott needs to play, mad that he's spent 3 years in the academy, been a stand out for Melrose and looked decent in pre season but can't get a look in.

Weir will stick around Scotland until Hastings/AN other are good enough for Scotland unfortunately. There's just nobody behind Russell (who looked imperious vs Munster).
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm

royc wrote:
On speed and fitness, I think that Gilchrist and Nel need sidelined for a while and sent off to get themselves fit (along with CdeP). All have been injured and need to get back to match fitness and while game time may be beneficial to their rehab, let's get them in shape first of all.

I agree on Nel who looks skinny and a bit bereft of confidence. Gilchrist was decent first two games, not a fitness thing there just had a stinker yesterday. He looks a bit too big rather than dynamic though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum