The way the conferences are working out..

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

The way the conferences are working out..

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:55 pm

I think we may have the better deal. If we can play just to a vaguely reasonable standard (and yes I know that's been a challenge recently) then we should be fourth.

In the other one, withe the Cheetahs at home looking good, and Connacht looking up for a wee fight, with Munster and Glasgow on top of that, and Ospreys will take scalps once the decide to turn up, it's pretty tough.

We have three teams below us who look like diddies this year - Dragons, Kings and Treviso. If we can't get fourth with a better score than the other conference, well, faaack.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: The way the conferences are working out..

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 pm

I'd disagree. Particularly looking at some of the inter conference one off fixtures
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:51 pm

biffer wrote:We have three teams below us who look like diddies this year - Dragons, Kings and Treviso. If we can't get fourth with a better score than the other conference, well, faaack.

In fairness, Treviso might be thinking that about us at the moment!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Per Pro14 Twitter press release today - the two 4th placed teams are now to play off for the Champions cup place. Home advantage to the one with better points at end of season
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Seems fair enough-though rather suspect might work against us this year ( in that we'd likely have more points than the fourth placed side in Conference A).
Changing goalposts though after season has started??
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm

I think when it was agreed that the top7 teams were to qualify (end of last season) we did not have the SA teams and conference structure it was just straight top 7, so possibly correct to adjust. Agree it could well end up working against us this season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

If we make fourth and are playing at home, if we can't beat the fourth placed team from the other conference then we have no business playing Saracens or Clermont in the Champs Cup, it would be carnage
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:02 pm

I don't have a huge issue with it and in the interests of fairness it makes sense...

However, as mentioned changing the rules after the season has started is not right. If I was a cynic I would suggest it was due to likleyhood of the O's, Cardiff and Connacht all missing out.

It is really the only way to ensure there isn't an unfair really.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Not quite sure about this. How does it work if Cheetahs are in top three in their conference, as they currently are, does their fourth automatically qualify? Seems a bit unfair, if it turns out like that.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 pm

gunneria wrote:Not quite sure about this. How does it work if Cheetahs are in top three in their conference, as they currently are, does their fourth automatically qualify? Seems a bit unfair, if it turns out like that.

Both South African sides drop out of their respective conference tables before considering European qualification.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 pm

disco wrote:
gunneria wrote:Not quite sure about this. How does it work if Cheetahs are in top three in their conference, as they currently are, does their fourth automatically qualify? Seems a bit unfair, if it turns out like that.

Both South African sides drop out of their respective conference tables before considering European qualification.

Don't see a huge problem with this, it makes sense that the seventh place shouldn't go to a side that may have racked up more points from being in an easier group - e.g. one that got the Kings rather than Cheetahs. Home advantage in the play-off still offers a reward for accruing more points.

IIRC, someone on the forum flagged up some time ago that this was happening?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am

Agree about the play-off, it was coming fourth automatically qualifying as top six that seemed unfair.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Tripping over pool a teams in the final. Oh.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat May 19, 2018 7:26 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Tripping over pool a teams in the final. Oh.

I may change my mind. Switch Leinster for Munster. Watch the seethe from the West Coast.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 pm

biffer wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Tripping over pool a teams in the final. Oh.

I may change my mind. Switch Leinster for Munster. Watch the seethe from the West Coast.

By my estimations the only swap in the conferences next season will be Munster for Leinster. Only other seeding change is Ospreys and Cardiff, but 2nd and 3rd Welsh teams are in same conference
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum