Leinster v Edinburgh 29/09/17 7.45pm KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Leinster v Edinburgh 29/09/17 7.45pm KO

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Much improved performance in attitude and guile. I thought CDP really stepped up and Ritchie and Watson showed their form. Front row stood up well against pretty celebrated opposition too.

We were under a fair bit of pressure and didn't crumble which is very heartening, could have won it and certainly deserved a LBP.

I actually didn't thin the ref was that bad, a lot would have carded Fife in the first half, so it was nice to see some common sense there, I think the Hardie one for their try, the player jumping over is very reckless at least. I think Ritchie was a pen, softish yellow but I can see where he was coming from. There did seem to be an assumption that if it was late it had to be a pen. The fact he was sliding shoud have mitigated it to me.

I thought Davies did well not to be put off by the constant whingeing of Sexton, Toner and SOB, he reffed the scrum reasonably well and dealt with the handbags without letting it get out of hand. I would have liked him to have a look at McFadden in the first bout though, he came running in and started dragging people around, although that might just be my dislike for the cretin seeping through.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 pm

I thought the first 18 minutes before Gilchrist dropped the ball was as good a first 1/4 as we have played. If only we had a ref who refereed what was in front of him rather than on reputation. Toner should have been pinged perhaps had talking to / yellow due to the amount of swallow dives he had over the ruck. At times it felt like the crowd was the fifth official (I'll check that back in slow mo because the crowd made a noise etc etc).

The Ritchie sending off was horse poo - if you watched in real time he was committed to the ball. The call against Cornell was also horse poo - is you call that obstruction then all of the welsh and Irish mid field's tries for the past decade should be struck off. Another piece of horse poo was the penalty against Dougie Fife for allowing Dave Kearney (possibly the worst over rated player out there) to 1. Propel himself into Fife hoping for a penalty 2. leading with his knee. I understand the technical foul ruling for hitting a player who is in the air but please a bit of common sense. I thought Sexton should have had a final warning for the choking Sammy and told that if he did it again he'd be off.

On the positives i thought our defence was immense. We looked the better coached side and generally better team. a travesty that we got nothing from this. We win the moral victory in my books. Perhaps if we either get a large travelling support or a ref with some balls we might win at the RDS in the near future. Much better than last week. C'mon Edinburgh......
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:17 pm

I don't think we can blame the ref, I think he was ok. To win games like that our attack has to be a little slicker, a bit more confident. I'd have liked to see us kick away less possession in the middle part of the game; the box kicks we're not bad, but did just give the ball back to them. If we can pressure the opposition like we did tonight, it'll create a lot more attacking opportunities and we'll get better at taking them. At the moment we just don't have much experience of winning tight games, and lack a bit of nous in how to do so.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:03 am

The disallowed try was a joke!

On the plus side it's great to see the real John Hardie back - I was wondering what happened to him and CdP.

Berghan did brilliantly in the scrum. Ritchie was everywhere and of course JJ.

It's a relief to see some proper rotation!
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:08 am

KenMavor wrote:Nobody seems to have told the Edinburgh team that they are due a doing.....

With the exception of Doomedin. Who was talking out of his JohnLacey as usual (see what I did there?)
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:26 am

Feels very deflating to take nothing from the game given the effort put in, but that's rugby.

I very seldom feel that a Pro14 ref had a good game, but I thought Davies actually did well. Some decisions could easily have been 'homers' but weren't. That said, CDP's 'obstruction' was a glaring exception - which Irish or Welsh try of the last 10 years hasn't had 'dummy runners' (imagine excruciatingly irritating Jiffy accent) all over the midfield? The other annoyance was the blatant favouritism of referring to the Leinster captain as 'Jonny' throughout the show, a courtesy hardly extended to Fraz.

Take a bow Darryl Marfo, who in the face of Furlong I thought was superb, and a very impressive performance from Jason Tovey too. Johnstone, Du Preez and Hardie also earned plaudits.

Nae points, but quite possibly a marker laid down for the future of this team. Let's hope so.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:17 am

Not sure it was favouritism, I didn't hear him speak to McKenzie on first name terms but definately was with SHC.

Tovey was very good in attack and took his try well. Certainly no way Weir could have taken that chance. On the down side his defence is still weak, it was obvious Leinster were picking him out and he got stepped in a phone box for theCarberry try. (Although he is very good and will do that to betterment players)

Good to see Gilchrist carrying with real intent again and. Breaking some tackles. We just seemed to be coming onto the ball with much more pace this week. Not sure what the difference is a I can't imagine they train to create slow ball and take it from a standing start.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:23 am

Couple of other things, Kinghirn had looked very good his season but had 2 howlers tonight, he just has to cut them out of his game.

Also Fowles is going to get it a world of trouble if he keeps trying to place the ballin the ruck befire passing, SHC did it too, it's just asking for trouble, use your foot if you must!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 am

These last two games have repaired a bit of my faith in where Edinburgh are going. Despite a serious loss and two away games against two of last season's semi-finalists, we never collapsed and fell apart as might have happened in other seasons. Even if we're still very limited in attack and don't really threaten teams, we've got a core and something to build off of, and some players who have struggled like Gilchrist and McInally are on their way to the levels they should be at.

Johnstone took his shot excellently, really want to see him get a run in the team too.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:31 am

Limited in attack? I must have been watching a different game as I felt the attacking play was the best I'd seen for years from Edinburgh.Some of the passing was top drawer-first time I can recall Edinburgh passing the ball for a p;ayer to run on to consistently. Slightly overdid the box kicking but even that was way improved.I'd like to see some stats for the number of line breaks.
Agree with all on Johnstone-Dean has done well this season but suddenly there is some real competition in the centres.Hopefully Cockerill can push for him to stay on (and Fife) rather than drift back to the sevens squad .
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:38 am

Re Johnstone, he really did look to have something about him, and it'd be good to see him get more opportunities for us. Regarding the 7's/15's issue, I wonder how much say he has in it. If he's ever going to make a career in 15's then now would seem to be his best opportunity; the door would seem to be open for him at Edinburgh, and if he doesn't take this chance then who knows if he'll get another.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Re Johnstone, he really did look to have something about him, and it'd be good to see him get more opportunities for us. Regarding the 7's/15's issue, I wonder how much say he has in it. If he's ever going to make a career in 15's then now would seem to be his best opportunity; the door would seem to be open for him at Edinburgh, and if he doesn't take this chance then who knows if he'll get another.

I don't know why he didn't get in a look in after 2015 when he was outstanding. I'd feel a bit sorry for Fife and Johnstone if they're straddling 7s and 15s as they're different sports with much different conditioning at this point.

On the match I thought we're finding the baseline intensity Cockers requires and just need to build on that. du Preez finally had a big match which was great to see. Thought Watson, Hardie and Marfo answered some questions as well.

I worry about Kinghorn, he's a flair player who is unplayable when confident and error strewn when not - are Cockers/Hodge the ones to harness that? You can't help feel how good he'd be if Blair, O'Halloran and Rennie were coaching him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 am

liveinhope wrote:Limited in attack? I must have been watching a different game as I felt the attacking play was the best I'd seen for years from Edinburgh.Some of the passing was top drawer-first time I can recall Edinburgh passing the ball for a p;ayer to run on to consistently. Slightly overdid the box kicking but even that was way improved.I'd like to see some stats for the number of line breaks.

More consistent than other seasons, but we did get nilled in the second half, and our try was an intercept. Better than last week because we could hold onto the ball, but we didn't really take advantage of our breaks like a good attacking side would.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Bit disappointed but feeling optimism creeping in, must get points(some) at home the next 3 games.
Pitfitter

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Zebre beat ulster in Italy today, hopefully that will help ensure right attitude next week.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum