Edinburgh vs Zebre

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh vs Zebre

Postby doedin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 pm

That was pretty awful performance. Team look berefit of confidence and ideas about how to break down a defence. However I think I saw a couple of back moves in the 2nd half! All we seem to do was either run into the nearest defender and set up a ruck or else box kick. Most of our passing was very lateral and little confidence in off loading. Zebra on the other hand played a lot of rugby with ball in hand, were happy to off load, had lots of supporting runners to hand, always seemed to have an overlap available and their 10 was probably the best back on the pitch. However we managed to grind out a win despite trying to hand them victory towards the end of the game. Thank AlainRolland for McInally on the pitch!

Lets move on now ...
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Not a great performance, but dug out a win. Zebre will think themselves a bit unlucky to have lost, as we managed very little in attacking play. Berghan, Bresler and Dell brought us a bit of scrum dominance later on, which was key to the win, but we really need to be able to retain possession better than we do. How we went from an attacking maul close to their line to defending a line out on our 22 in the last 2 minutes when we have a single point lead is a perfect illustration. Well deserved MoM for Rambo, but we have a lot of improving to do.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Wottie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:We have Marius Mitrea and a couple of Italian touch judges on Friday...so much for neutral officials

He's Romanian so that's OK :roll:

I think the good people at HQ in Dublin are trying to see if they can actually get Cockrill's head to explode!!

It worked!!!
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Almost made my head explode! Absolutely one eyed performance from all three officials!
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:13 pm

From where we stood the Zebra 9? was offside when moved in to block the kick, phish poor ref and touch judges only there to make up the numbers. IMHO OF COURSE..
Pitfitter

Postby Wottie on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Any update after the game in the clubhouse about JJ? That looked really nasty.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 am

Pretty horrible game plan from us - kick, maul and defend. In contrast Zebre attacked non stop from everywhere. Credit to them.

Our priority for next season has to be a 9,10 and a 12. Sorry to be negative but Fowles, Weir and Burleigh together - that's where everything breaks down.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am

Pitfitter wrote:From where we stood the Zebra 9? was offside when moved in to block the kick, phish poor ref and touch judges only there to make up the numbers. IMHO OF COURSE..

He may have been, couldn't tell from where I was sitting. However we tried a box kick without having the defensive blocks in place so deserved to be charged down. Poor exit strategy from us to be fair.

I didn't think the officials were at fault for our awful performance TBH, we dug a hole for ourselves and then made it deeper. There were a few things we got away with too. The reality is that everyone has moved on, including the Italians, and we are stuck playing a pretty awful style of rugby and completely lacking confidence. Watching the Italians playing running rugby and off loading from their own 22 to our 22 and then watching us kicking ball away at almost every opportunity was a role reversal from where we both were 5, 6 or 7 years ago. Our game is painful to watch and you can almost feel the crowd willing the team on to be more confident. At least we know we have reached the nadir and things can only get better from here? Surely?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 am

macdone wrote:Pretty horrible game plan from us - kick, maul and defend. In contrast Zebre attacked non stop from everywhere. Credit to them.

Our priority for next season has to be a 9,10 and a 12. Sorry to be negative but Fowles, Weir and Burleigh together - that's where everything breaks down.

Couldn't agree more! However Tovey at 10 was even worse!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:38 am

Doedin in

Aw michty me we were pishypoo

Shocker.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:31 am

When we show some signs of progress in term of effort and processes but don't get a point, then all is lost

When we play poorly but take the winner's share of the points, again all is lost

Cheer up lads, the Scots Presbyterian "oh woe" attitude gets a bit dull after a while
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 am

People shouldn't be criticised for raising concerns about our attacking strategy. On last night's evidence it seemed pretty much the same as the Solly approach, using either box kicks (from which we almost never get possession from) or pods of forwards trying to bash their way through the defence. Everything is done so slowly the defence has always got time to get in position, making it very hard to get anywhere. Fowles is capable of quick service, so when you see him standing behind almost every ruck waving his arms at forwards to get them in position or setting himself for a box kick while the seconds tick by, you have to assume it's the game plan he's been given rather than his own choice. If that is indeed our attacking strategy, we must be a dream to defend against, so hopefully there is more to it than that. I don't think I can take another two seasons of watching Solly-ball reincarnated.

Zebre's attacking play was much more adventurous than ours, and if they had kicked that virtually unmissable penalty in the first half they would have won. It would have been hard to argue that they didn't deserve it.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 am

In a game pretty well bereft of highlights from an Edinburgh perspective we had Rambo’s try, and Dicko’s half time comment on said try.

“ ...... yes, the big guy showed some pace, he must have seen a cheeseburger on the try line or something!”
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 am

Got to love this guy!

“I will have to watch it again, but it’s hard to play any type of rugby when the game is, in my opinion, poorly officiated,” said Cockerill.

“When [Dougie] Fife runs 50-metres and the guy is then offside he has to go to the bin. We’ve had some really, really bad calls in the last four weeks.”

“This week there seemed to be no offside line, for the competition to have any credibility they have to sort out the officiating because I have never encountered anything like it in anything else I have coached.”

“We can all see it. We kicked the penalty to go in front then the prop is two metres offside from the restart – that’s a scrum back to us, that’s a law of the game, so why is it just ignored? It is a pretty important point in the game – why would you ignore that? Ring Greg Garner [Elite Referee Manager for the PRO14] and ask why important parts of this game were ignored. I can see it, you can see it, everyone lese can see it – but the really important person who is stood a metre away chooses to ignore it. There has to be consistency and it has to be fair.

Asked if there should be referees from neutral countries, Cockerill replied: “I don’t care, they just have to do their job properly. But will he be accountable for that performance? My players will be, I will be, will he be?”
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:20 am

I see little to disagree with in Cockers comments
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum