Edinburgh vs Zebre

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh vs Zebre

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm

This will be a good test for us. We're expected to win, so there's no comforting "plucky losers" verdict available if we lose. But Zebre will be confident after 2 good wins, including a deserved win over Ulster. If we don't bring the attitude we had against Leinster to this game, improve the accuracy of our attacking play, and cut out the suicidal errors, we will lose. This game is exactly the kind of test we need right now, and anyone expecting an easy game is in for a nasty surprise I suspect.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh vs Zebre

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Totally agree, it is vitally important (always was) that we win and put in a performance at home. Short term in terms of league points but also long term, another loss like the Treviso game and we can take down the temp stands, they wont be needed.

Unless there are injuries then I would go with the same team again.

Possibly Nel, Ford, Toolis and Bradbury is will come back onto the bench. Bryce did well when he came on, hopefully he has got himself ready now, it really wasn't fair the way he was treated last year.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Zebre have been playing some nice attacking rugby recently watching their highlights, seem to be pretty poor in defence though so should be an entertaining and high scoring match-up.

Hopefully Johnstone gets another chance but with Dean having a nice year and Fruean getting more game time it's interesting to see who gets the nod there.

Same if Bradbury can come back in, du Preez had his best game is a while and both can't be accommodated in the same back row. Bradbury on the bench to ease back in?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gone south on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm

And a wee return to Embra for Michael Bradley.
gone south
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 am

Not an easy game but definitely a must win for the players. Losing at home to both of the Italian sides would be very poor regardless of whether they have improved or not.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am

If we lose I suspect Cockerill will need treatment to his KelvinDeaker kicking leg, the ability to win is there but is the will to win still around? I really hope so and we get a fine performance on Friday night.
Pitfitter

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:05 pm

An early test of Cockerills management as much as a test of the squad. Cockerill has seen the Edinburgh of old v Treviso when we just did not perform and he made his feelings known post-match. He needs to make sure they are prepared and go into the match with the correct mind set. I suspect if we see the same happen again this week those he deems responsible may find themselves in the BT Prem for the rest of the season.

However in saying that I just cant see Cockerill letting it happen again, I think we will see a fired up squad and a similar effort to Friday and if so the result will look after itself.

It is still early in the season but a must win game, of the top 3 only Ulster and Scarlets have played each other, where as we have played two of the top three (both away) but there is already a 9 point gap which we could do with starting to close.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:This will be a good test for us. We're expected to win, so there's no comforting "plucky losers" verdict available if we lose.

Are we really 'expected to win''? Zebre are on the same points as Embra, they've won 2 and lost 3, like us, they have 2 bps, like us. The differences are that they've beaten Ulster, which was quite a result, and have scored more tries than us, 16 to 10 (admittedly 6 were against Kings, but their back line is pretty decent and can score tries).

If the forwards play as well as they did v Leinster, we should have the advantage there. But I think our backs attack is not very far forward, we're largely dependent on solo efforts at the moment, rather than any concerted backs play. No doubt that will come in time, but Zebre is a few days away.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 pm

royc wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:This will be a good test for us. We're expected to win, so there's no comforting "plucky losers" verdict available if we lose.

Are we really 'expected to win''? Zebre are on the same points as Embra, they've won 2 and lost 3, like us, they have 2 bps, like us. The differences are that they've beaten Ulster, which was quite a result, and have scored more tries than us, 16 to 10 (admittedly 6 were against Kings, but their back line is pretty decent and can score tries).

If the forwards play as well as they did v Leinster, we should have the advantage there. But I think our backs attack is not very far forward, we're largely dependent on solo efforts at the moment, rather than any concerted backs play. No doubt that will come in time, but Zebre is a few days away.

I think Edinburgh should be expected to win, but that will add its own pressure. This is a must win. If it is a loss and the backs, or should I say attack continue to be poor then Hodge must go. RC needs to be decisive.

Zebre have had the benefit of the 2 SA teams at their weakest IMO and the SA sides are shipping 35points per game on average. They have also played the Ospreys at their weakest without Webb, Biggar and AWJ. Their results need to be respected but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any expectation placed on the 23 selected for the game.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Kickoff time still listed as TBC on the website. High quality organisation huh.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm

royc wrote:

Are we really 'expected to win''?

A different question is expected to win by whom.

No doubt some fans will see Edinburgh as favourites and expect them to win.
No doubt Scottish media and pundits the same.
I suspect the bookies the same.

And I strongly suspect Cockerill expects them to win, although he will no doubt nuance that if asked.

The big issue is if the players take the field expecting to win. That is one reason they have lost soft games in the past. Believe if you play your best you should win, but don't expect it. They have no right to expect anything.

If the players, any of them, expect to win they can collect a p45 anytime.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:48 am

I think it would be good to reward the starters for the Leinster game for this one. Zebra have been good recently by the sounds of things, but we should put them away at home if we perform!
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Outside of Munster/Leinster/Scarlets, I think we should be "expected" to get a result at home against anyone else, or at least to be very competitive. Even against the Weedge, we have proven more than able to lift ourselves for the challenge.

In this context, the game is a "must win", not only because of expectations, but because of the results in the last few weeks. With the same level of performance as last week, and slightly fairer refereeing, then we should get the result we want.

I'm excited, not just because it's my first game of the season, but it looks like the squad is starting to play more consistently in the way that Cockers wants. While it was the other ball game, I remember watching a documentary about Salford City, the non-league team that the Nelville brothers, Ryan Giggs etc invested in a few years ago. After a few weeks, Gary Neville was filmed complaining that the team was playing like they hadn't been coached. This has come to mind a few times over the last 12 months, but I think some of the progress that was apparent in Dublin shows that Cockers is really starting to make his mark. He just needs some results to demonstrate that.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Now that the coaches have seen everyone in action, the team selection for Friday should be interesting. I think the HC will see this as a must-win game and go for the strongest side.

In the backs, I would choose those most likely to score tries, because, though we have scored some nice ones, we haven't scored nearly enough of them. Fruean and Dean would be a good centre pairing, they seem to work well together and break the line. Kinghorn needs to be in there somewhere, whether at FB or wing, as he poses a threat with ball in hand. I thought Tovey played well last week and maybe offers more than Weir in attack, but maybe his tactical kicking is not as good. SHC is the better option at scrum half. Don't know about the wings, Hoyland had a quiet game against Benetton, not all his own fault, Brown and Fife looked pretty good on Friday, Harries can score from anywhere if he gets put into space, a hard one to call. Glenn Bryce needs to be there too I'd think, whether as fullback or bench cover for the back3/Outside centre.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:23 pm

royc wrote:Now that the coaches have seen everyone in action, the team selection for Friday should be interesting. I think the HC will see this as a must-win game and go for the strongest side.

In the backs, I would choose those most likely to score tries, because, though we have scored some nice ones, we haven't scored nearly enough of them. Fruean and Dean would be a good centre pairing, they seem to work well together and break the line. Kinghorn needs to be in there somewhere, whether at FB or wing, as he poses a threat with ball in hand. I thought Tovey played well last week and maybe offers more than Weir in attack, but maybe his tactical kicking is not as good. SHC is the better option at scrum half. Don't know about the wings, Hoyland had a quiet game against Benetton, not all his own fault, Brown and Fife looked pretty good on Friday, Harries can score from anywhere if he gets put into space, a hard one to call. Glenn Bryce needs to be there too I'd think, whether as fullback or bench cover for the back3/Outside centre.

Injuries notwithstanding, I really think that playing the same team would send a message - these guys stepped up against Leinster and performed beyond expectation. Can't think of anyone it wouldn't be harsh on if we dumped.

From the press today, I see Cockers really talking up James Johnstone, he's pretty effusive in his praise and pointed out again that surely the reason for the 7s is to grow players for the 15s... also mentioned that he felt Fife just lacked confidence, after all he's played at full international, what's he doing in 7s etc etc...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum