2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2017/18 Challenge Cup Campaign

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 pm

liveinhope wrote:Apolgies-yes quite right the final game is Saturday 20th at 9pm local time ( 8pm UK time).
Again agree we are limited to the smaller nominated Euro squad so rotation may depend on how many injuries we are carrying that week (outside the limited squad changes allowed under EPRC regulations.)

9 on Sunday would be ....
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 pm

I think I'm right in saying that any win against Stade in Round 5 at Murrayfield thus giving us a minimum of 24 points would guarantee us a home tie in the QF's as the leaders in Pool 2 currently have only 13 points so could only reach a maximum of 23 points-and the four highest group winners out of the five pools get home ties.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm heading over for the Stade game. Paris in the winter.. why not

The club aren't dealing with any tickets. Is anybody else going and where have they got tickets for. The Stade site has a variety of areas. Be good to have supporters in the same area.
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Refs announced for the double header against Stade today:

Round 5 in Edinburgh will be overseen by Tom Foley (ENG)
Round 6 in Paris by Marius Mitrea (ITA)
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm heading over for the Stade game. Paris in the winter.. why not

The club aren't dealing with any tickets. Is anybody else going and where have they got tickets for. The Stade site has a variety of areas. Be good to have supporters in the same area.

We're also heading over for the game, has anyone got tickets get. It looks like they're only 5-10 euro!
GunnerRob
International

Postby Fanscene on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm

We went for tickets behind the goal (area 51 I think).
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:11 am

Fanscene wrote:We went for tickets behind the goal (area 51 I think).

Watch out for UFOs :eek:
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Game moved to Murrayfield

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... urrayfield

Concerns over how robust the Myreside pitch will be through a winter with three teams playing on it are being realised but happy days as much closer to the house and no car required. The Huxley must be mighty TonySpreadbury with all this!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Can't actually see it being of huge interest, but if anyone is going to be near Reading on Saturday afternoon and wants to see a lot of points in Edinburgh's group, London Irish have announced a deal that anyone who calls their ticket office ( 0118 968 1016 ) and quotes ”KrasnyEPRC” can have 2 free tickets.

I suspect anyone could get more than 2 if they asked.

No strings attached, although you may have to provide an email address for print at home. Nice idea, but obviously reflects the lack of interest in the fixture.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Wottie wrote:

Concerns over how robust the Myreside pitch will be through a winter with three teams playing on it are being realised but happy days as much closer to the house and no car required. The Huxley must be mighty TonySpreadbury with all this!!

A lot of us raised concerns over the Myreside playing surface when this was first mooted. When my son played school rugby it was regularly frozen or unplayable. I posted on this very topic but there were some vague comments about ER doing work on the pitch ? It seems a bit strange to have invested heavily in the set up yet not in the playing surface and seem to be have been unprepared for the cold weather, which funnily enough happens every year about this time! It hasn't really been a roaring success has it?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

doedin wrote:
Wottie wrote:

A lot of us raised concerns over the Myreside playing surface when this was first mooted. When my son played school rugby it was regularly frozen or unplayable. I posted on this very topic but there were some vague comments about ER doing work on the pitch ? It seems a bit strange to have invested heavily in the set up yet not in the playing surface and seem to be have been unprepared for the cold weather, which funnily enough happens every year about this time! It hasn't really been a roaring success has it?

I wish people would give this ‘invested heavily’ thing a rest. It’s a couple of stands and a marquee.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 pm

ER has invested a lot of effort in not just the ground but also the whole communications about Myreside and in attracting businesses like The Huxley in providing the bar etc. There was a significant amount of work in getting the council and residents on board plus there is the ongoing costs around the traffic management, shuttle buses etc around Myreside. To suggest the investment is limited to a couple of stands and a marquee and thats it is perhaps understating it a little? I wonder how much it is costing ER per actual game played at Myreside?

However I was meaning more than just the financial investment! The move to Myreside was about finding a 'home' for the club, about developing a fan base, a club like feel and an atmosphere at games. Cockerill has been clear in the press about his desire to build the club with Myreside as the base and to generate a real club feel that is missing at Murrayfield. Just seems a pity they didnt work harder on the pitch itself! ER almost got it right but having to cancel games and move to Murrayfield on a regular basis, and sometimes at short notice, because of the pitch is not ideal. You would almost think that they thought this might happen but crossed the fingers and hoped for a mild winter again?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 am

doedin wrote:ER has invested a lot of effort in not just the ground but also the whole communications about Myreside and in attracting businesses like The Huxley in providing the bar etc. There was a significant amount of work in getting the council and residents on board plus there is the ongoing costs around the traffic management, shuttle buses etc around Myreside. To suggest the investment is limited to a couple of stands and a marquee and thats it is perhaps understating it a little? I wonder how much it is costing ER per actual game played at Myreside?

However I was meaning more than just the financial investment! The move to Myreside was about finding a 'home' for the club, about developing a fan base, a club like feel and an atmosphere at games. Cockerill has been clear in the press about his desire to build the club with Myreside as the base and to generate a real club feel that is missing at Murrayfield. Just seems a pity they didnt work harder on the pitch itself! ER almost got it right but having to cancel games and move to Murrayfield on a regular basis, and sometimes at short notice, because of the pitch is not ideal. You would almost think that they thought this might happen but crossed the fingers and hoped for a mild winter again?

You'd be looking at the thick end of a million quid for a Desso hybrid or 4G pitch. I think we are hedging our bets a bit till we see if it really takes off - and we see how Raeburn Place shapes up. We have Murrayfield as a back up for now in any case.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 pm

macdone wrote:You'd be looking at the thick end of a million quid for a Desso hybrid or 4G pitch. I think we are hedging our bets a bit till we see if it really takes off - and we see how Raeburn Place shapes up. We have Murrayfield as a back up for now in any case.

damned right the are. Common sense, can't have that.
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum