London Irish v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: London Irish v Edinburgh

Postby Frenchy on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:43 am

Krasny currently 24-17 up against Stade Francais. 35 mins in.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Last week you wanted any player who expected to win to be sacked for complacency!

Now they have to get BP win away in Europe they should be looking at themselves, not even sure what you mean by that?

I expect Edinburgh to go out and respect the opposition, expect nothing but and iassume nothing. And if they do that then I (me) expect a comfortable BP win. Against what looks like the LI academy plus few front players. Quitei straigtforward really.
Unexpected Edinburgh to do what LI have not done is respect the opposition and the competition.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 am

But I assume you know very little about the players in LI academy, yet you expect an easy win?

Its a cliché but there are no easy games in this and an away BP win will be a very good result no matter who the opposition, Stade struggling in Russia as we speak proves that.

You are just trying to tee up a good moan afterwards for anything other than a BP win. You seem to prefer that to actually seeing us win.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:But I assume you know very little about the players in LI academy, yet you expect an easy win?

Its a cliché but there are no easy games in this and an away BP win will be a very good result no matter who the opposition, Stade struggling in Russia as we speak proves that.

You are just trying to tee up a good moan afterwards for anything other than a BP win. You seem to prefer that to actually seeing us win.

What sort of team did Stars put out?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 am

34-29 at FT in Russia. That's certainly shaken things in the group up a bit!

RE: our game today, folk on the LI forum seem pretty enthused about their team, which makes me nervous. If we play like we did against Leinster then we should have a good chance. If, however, we going in thinking we're entitled to a win and just need to show up, we will lose (and deserve to)
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:46 am

joe soap wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:But I assume you know very little about the players in LI academy, yet you expect an easy win?

What sort of team did Stars put out?

Capped players from FRance, England, Georgia and Samoa, 3 more with soup rugby experience a France 7s player and a few more with a fair bit of top14 experience, probably 4 youngsters in the pack, no idea if they are the next Picamoles or not. Not their top team but no mugs either.

Bear in mind we are going in without, Kinghorn, VDM, Bennet, Fruean, Burgleigh, Johnston, Weir, Kennedy, Bradbury, Mata, Watson, Bresler, Sutherland, Dickinson and Ford. Either rested or injured. Its not exactly our top team either.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Legless wrote:
biffer wrote:Take the Russians lightly at your peril.

It's Edinburgh, we'll have a comfortable win over Irish and get pipped by 1 point by the Russians :roll:

Quite possible. But I'll start to worry about the Russians only after we've thrashed LI.

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Bear in mind we are going in without, Kinghorn, VDM, Bennet, Fruean, Burgleigh, Johnston, Weir, Kennedy, Bradbury, Mata, Watson, Bresler, Sutherland, Dickinson and Ford. Either rested or injured. Its not exactly our top team either.

I disagree. You can't say it's not our first team because of those that are injured... Every team has injured players and we have some too, but not so much. Your first team is the best team you can pick from your available players, at least for me.

From 1 to 10, this team is very close from our best team IMHO. Bradbury and Watson are rested, but that's all. And I don't know for sure who's better between Watson/Hardie and Bradbury/DuPreez...
Gilchrist and Toolis, for whatever reason, are not good together. So Fraz should start every game, once with Toolis, the other with Gilcho. The front-row is our best pick. Sam too at 9. And at the moment, Tovey is ahead of Weir.

It's just something like a B team in the backs fom 11 to 15. But quite a competitive one (for us at least).
So I would say it's quite a strong and ambitious Edinburgh side.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:19 pm

germain wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Agree with Biffer on McKenzies leadership, straightforward, sensible decisions and you know he will put in the effort and lead by example.

McKenzie in the team, and Cochrane on the bench. I'm optimistic... Very strong pack with only captain Bradbury and Watson rested (or injured?). Cockerill does not rotate much but more than Solomons though.
Disappointed not to see Dean and Johnston together in the backs. Hoyland should be hungry.

I don't think that rotation bit is right Germain, there have been rotations in every position, in fact more than I ever remember with previous coaches. I like the way Cockerill is doing it, every senior player has had a shot and, in most cases, more than a few of them. He is obviously having a good look at the players he has inherited but it also feels like a drive to build a squad, rather than select on reputation. The frequent changes suggest that he who is keen and works hard in training stands a good chance of winning selection - and vice versa.

I think my notes below are accurate, except we don't really know who's all injured, you will see that everyone has had a chance to make their mark so far. The only ones not to feature are the 7 perma-crocked/perma domiciled in visa section, plus 5 of the new young guns, who I imagine will get their chance soon when the AIs start.
Attachments
ER team selection 17-18.png
ER team selection 17-18.png (58.74 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks royc that is very illuminating. If you could keep it updated over the season that would show us if that selection policy continues or becomes more settled.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:14 pm

germain wrote:
Legless wrote:
biffer wrote:Take the Russians lightly at your peril.

It's Edinburgh, we'll have a comfortable win over Irish and get pipped by 1 point by the Russians :roll:

Quite possible. But I'll start to worry about the Russians only after we've thrashed LI.

dolf_lundgren wrote:

I disagree. You can't say it's not our first team because of those that are injured... Every team has injured players and
we have some too, but not so much. Your first team is the best team you can pick from your available players, at least for me.

From 1 to 10, this team is very close from our best team IMHO. Bradbury and Watson are rested, but that's all. And I don't know for sure who's better between Watson/Hardie and Bradbury/DuPreez...
Gilchrist and Toolis, for whatever reason, are not good together. So Fraz should start every game, once with Toolis, the other with Gilcho. The front-row is our best pick. Sam too at 9. And at the moment, Tovey is ahead of Weir.

It's just something like a B team in the backs fom 11 to 15. But quite a competitive one (for us at least).
So I would say it's quite a strong and ambitious Edinburgh side.

I quite agree, the point is almost nobody is at full strength and just because we haven't heard if many of the li players doesn't mean they are weak. They have rested and have injuries, so do we. It's not going to be an easy game either way.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Only able to follow on twitter sounds a reasonable first half. Three tries but LI still in the match.

Interesting test coming up second half will we get a fourth and hold on to win? Last few seasons we have managed one or neither and very occasionally both.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Yes, sounds a good performance. Nice to see Rasolea contributing and a try for Hoyland after his nightmare at Myrseside.

Tovey sounds like a mixed bag, opening things up but struggling with kicking. with SHC playing there is no need to put that pressure on him, just let him play.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Holding off posting so as not to jinx this but surely it is now a win and a bonus point.
Last edited by Pitfitter on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfitter

Postby Wottie on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 pm

5 Try BP win away from home. Who would have thought it. Take a bow guys. Great start to the cup campaign. Just hope we can see some highlights from somewhere.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Great result, took a while to get the fourth try but good sign that they stuck to task await reports and Mr Cs verdict.

Backing it up in Russia next week would be a great start in Europe
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum