London Irish v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: London Irish v Edinburgh

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm

That's a great result away from home, no matter what changes LI made. Hope we can back it up in unfamiliar surroundings next week.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Fantastic start, the quicker we can reduce the interest of Stade and LI the better. Not sure who I want to win out of them next week, possibly LI.

We have to back this up in Russia though, should be straightforward but wont be easy.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Good start, as has been said we need to back it up next week.

I don't really give a stuff about this cup tbh, but if it builds some confidence and gets the team used to winning, then it has to be a good thing
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Assuming there were no injuries, that was pretty much the perfect result. Great work by the lads!

Now just keep it up - stay focussed, keep grafting and don't get cocky.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 pm

I see Tovey took the first conversion, but then SHC took the rest. Is that because Tovey went off, because the first one was from outwith SHC's range, or some other reason?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Tovey went off late on SHC finished at 10. Think tovey missed easy pen and maybe one other quite early on assume it was 'tactical' switch of kicker
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Tovey went off late on SHC finished at 10. Think tovey missed easy pen and maybe one other quite early on assume it was 'tactical' switch of kicker

Seemed to me to be tactical. SHC was kicking 1st half well before Tovey went off - he may have tweaked something.
Decent performance, but never entirely comfortable in the face of a very spirited Irish team until the bench and particularly the scrum really pulled the lead out. Excellent defence.
Raseola the official MoM although I thought Du Preez was outstanding throughout. Great barnstorming final try from Crosbie.

I doubt performances like that will win too many PRO14 games, but take the 5 points and move on. Group is now there to be won, as I doubt LI will be too fussed now - who knows what SF will do.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

royc wrote:
I don't think that rotation bit is right Germain,(...) you will see that everyone has had a chance to make their mark so far. The only ones not to feature are the 7 perma-crocked/perma domiciled in visa section, plus 5 of the new young guns, who I imagine will get their chance soon when the AIs start.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the data.
My feelings were completly wrong. I always had the feeling that a decent and competitive side was fielded, and that consequently there was some continuity in the team selection. The fact that, in reality, most of the squad had their part in it is a good thing. That's a good job from Cockers.

It's also good to hear that Rasolea, who was till now fairly anonymous, was MOTM.
Even the fact that SHC kicked some points is a good news. I'm pretty sure he loves the kicking's responsability.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm

The Chiel wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Tovey went off late on SHC finished at 10. Think tovey missed easy pen and maybe one other quite early on assume it was 'tactical' switch of kicker

Seemed to me to be tactical. SHC was kicking 1st half well before Tovey went off - he may have tweaked something.

Tovey missed 2 out of 3 early on, a conversion and a penalty, SHC took over kicking duties and kicked 4 out of 5, 2 conversions and 2 penalties.

Going by the stats, Tovey went off at 73, SHC moved to 10 for 7 minutes and Fowles came on at 9.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:But I assume you know very little about the players in LI academy, yet you expect an easy win?

Its a cliché but there are no easy games in this and an away BP win will be a very good result no matter who the opposition, Stade struggling in Russia as we speak proves that.

You are just trying to tee up a good moan afterwards for anything other than a BP win. You seem to prefer that to actually seeing us win.

Seems to me I know a lot more about them than you do. Enough to know also that they haven't registered all their top players.

If you can't see the implications and need for Edin to stuff them (and the motivation) then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. This goes far far beyond rotation, if you are happy with their approach the the competition can and should be scrapped.

Try and engage brain .
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Great result, Crosbie ready to fill Bradbury's absence.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 am

joe soap wrote:Great result, Crosbie ready to fill Bradbury's absence.

He's already covering Mata's absence. Really starting to think that we are not going to see him in an Edinburgh shirt again. Visa problems would be resolved one way or another by now. It's clearly something else and it's really disappointing as expected to see a lot more from him after the initial "bedding in" season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 am

Highlights for Challenge cup link below only 1 try per match. Not sure where Rasolea and team have been keeping this sort of thing hidden. Really nice try dummy runners and some finish from Junior

http://sport.bt.com/challenge-cup-round ... 4220935870

Reports suggest Crosbies maybe the pick of the bunch but cant find anything further as yet
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 pm

[quote="joe soap
Seems to me I know a lot more about them than you do. Enough to know also that they haven't registered all their top players.

If you can't see the implications and need for Edin to stuff them (and the motivation) then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. This goes far far beyond rotation, if you are happy with their approach the the competition can and should be scrapped.

Try and engage brain .[/quote]

Feel free to enlighten me which of their top players, who aren't injured, are not registered?

Genuinely interested.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Ok, saved you the bother.

From the LI chat it looks like they have 7 players who are not injured and not in the squad. 2 of them weren't signed by the registration deadline and the other 5 are all "foreign" which means they fall foul of the completion rules... so they obviously decided they couldn't select all of them and still remain within the rules.

3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad.

Have to admit I didn't know about that rule, and it would explain why French and English teams appear to field weakened teams.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum