London Irish v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

London Irish v Edinburgh

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Head coach Richard Cockerill has named his Edinburgh side for tomorrow afternoon’s European Challenge Cup opener against London Irish at the Madejski Stadium (Saturday 14 October, kick-off 3pm).

The team selection includes nine changes to the starting XV which proved too strong for Zebre at Myreside last weekend. In the back-three, Glenn Bryce replaces the injured Blair Kinghorn at fullback whilst wing Damien Hoyland rotates in for Tom Brown who drops to the bench. Dougie Fife keeps his spot on the opposite flank.

A revamped midfield sees Chris Dean return to action at outside centre. The 23-year-old links-up with Junior Rasolea who makes his first start since the season opener. Jason Tovey continues at stand-off and is partnered by Sam Hidalgo-Clyne.

In the front-row, Stuart McInally keeps his spot at hooker after his impressive outing against Zebre last weekend. The 27-year-old will pack down alongside Simon Berghan and Allan Dell – who also makes his first start of the season.

In the second-row, Ben Toolis is joined by Fraser McKenzie - who skippers the side on his 85th appearance in the black and red. The only alteration to an otherwise unchanged back-row sees John Hardie replace Magus Bradbury.

On his team selection, Richard Cockerill said: “We’ve picked a strong side which we believe can compete against a dangerous London Irish side. We’ve made nine changes, but the guys who’ve come in have a point to prove and we hope they can put their hand up for future selection.”

“This club has experienced some relative success in European competition, so we hope with a positive result tomorrow we can kick-start another memorable run once again.”

Edinburgh team to face London Irish at the Madejski Stadium in the European Challenge Cup on Saturday 14 October (kick-off 3pm)

15 Glenn Bryce (25)

14 Dougie Fife (88)

13 Chris Dean (46)

12 Junior Rasolea (16)

11 Damien Hoyland (50)

10 Jason Tovey (28)

9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (88)

1 Allan Dell (40)

2 Stuart McInally (107)

3 Simon Berghan (37)

4 Fraser McKenzie CAPTAIN (84)

5 Ben Toolis (74)

6 Jamie Ritchie (35)

7 John Hardie (24)

8 Cornell du Preez (86)

Replacements

16 Neil Cochrane (55)

17 Daryl Marfo (6)

18 WP Nel (108)

19 Grant Gilchrist (103)

20 Luke Crosbie (1)

21 Nathan Fowles (38)

22 Tom Brown (110)

23 Jason Harries (4)

Edinburgh Rugby appearances in brackets
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: London Irish v Edinburgh

Postby Frenchy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Two wingers on the bench is interesting,
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Frenchy wrote:Two wingers on the bench is interesting,

Who goes to fly half if Tovey goes down?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:05 pm

I assume Sam.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Sonicboom wrote:I assume Sam.

Didn't he last play there at school?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Very young and inexperienced LI team, with pretty much all their bigger names rested or injured. Not sure whether that works in our favour or not (probably not if it means we become favourites for the match!)
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Strong pack, lots of running lines in the centres and back three. Like Fraser as captain, thought he did a good job in Dublin.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Nothing said but does suggest quite a few injuries-perhaps Kinghorn,Weir,various centres,Ford,Bradbury and Watson.
IF,however, can get through this weekend then presumably a fairly "junior" side to go to Moscow giving a couple of weeks for those injured before Treviso away.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:07 pm

liveinhope wrote:Nothing said but does suggest quite a few injuries-perhaps Kinghorn,Weir,various centres,Ford,Bradbury and Watson.
IF,however, can get through this weekend then presumably a fairly "junior" side to go to Moscow giving a couple of weeks for those injured before Treviso away.

Take the Russians lightly at your peril.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Decent looking team certainly up front, encouraging we can make 9 changes and still field a pretty strong team.

10 cover a bit of a concern, Bryce maybe? Or I think Ritchie played 10 at school and in current form sure he would do a job :)

Agree with Biffer on McKenzies leadership, straightforward, sensible decisions and you know he will put in the effort and lead by example.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 pm

If anyone is thinking of getting to Reading by train, I gather there are "emergency" i.e. they've cocked up, testing of power lines which seems to mean no trains through Reading station on Saturday. Check if that's your plan.

Be interested to see how seriously Not - Nots are taking the competition.

( Edit - now seen the LI team. Think the answer is not very )

Looking forward to the Craic bar again !
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:32 pm

The Chiel wrote:If anyone is thinking of getting to Reading by train, I gather there are "emergency" i.e. they've cocked up, testing of power lines which seems to mean no trains through Reading station on Saturday. Check if that's your plan.

Be interested to see how seriously Not - Nots are taking the competition.

( Edit - now seen the LI team. Think the answer is not very )

Looking forward to the Craic bar again !

I don't like disrespecting the opposition, and I am not in the habit of making predictions, but......
LI are not taking this seriously and questions have to asked over that side, fined in my opinion. Edinburgh players need to ask serious questions of themselves, even more than usual, if they don't rack up a very comfortable bp win
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Last week you wanted any player who expected to win to be sacked for complacency!

Now they have to get BP win away in Europe they should be looking at themselves, not even sure what you mean by that?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

Agree with Biffer on McKenzies leadership, straightforward, sensible decisions and you know he will put in the effort and lead by example.

McKenzie in the team, and Cochrane on the bench. I'm optimistic... Very strong pack with only captain Bradbury and Watson rested (or injured?). Cockerill does not rotate much but more than Solomons though.
Disappointed not to see Dean and Johnston together in the backs. Hoyland should be hungry.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Legless on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 pm

biffer wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Nothing said but does suggest quite a few injuries-perhaps Kinghorn,Weir,various centres,Ford,Bradbury and Watson.

Take the Russians lightly at your peril.

It's Edinburgh, we'll have a comfortable win over Irish and get pipped by 1 point by the Russians :roll:
Legless
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum