Bradbury night out

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Bradbury night out

Postby borderflanker on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 am

One of the lead stories on the front page of the Sunday Times [ Scottish Edition] reports of Manus Bradbury falling to the pavement on a night out in Edinburgh with possible concussion.
I`m not against players who aren`t involved in the match day squad having the odd drink or two but if we are led to believe its more than one or two and leading to potential injury then we have to ask is he the right guy to be captain ?
borderflanker
Established pro

Re: Bradbury night out

Postby oldballs on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am

Even worse is the potential Edinburgh (or SRU) cover up. The Scotsman being told his absence was due to 'a shoulder niggle'.
Rumour is that he could be out for weeks with facial injuries. Will be interesting to see how this is handled.
oldballs
One cap wonder

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:49 am

Bit of a non-story for me, we have no idea of the context of the night out the timing of events etc he could have had the shoulder niggle so was not going to be selected so allowed a night out. Was it a squad/club night out, did he trip and fall but was not drunk. Dont see how it impacts his ability to captain the team when on the pitch. Waste of column inches for me.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:55 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Bit of a non-story for me, we have no idea of the context of the night out the timing of events etc he could have had the shoulder niggle so was not going to be selected so allowed a night out. Was it a squad/club night out, did he trip and fall but was not drunk. Dont see how it impacts his ability to captain the team when on the pitch. Waste of column inches for me.

I agree. There are all sorts of scenarios ranging from benign to reprehensible. We don't know the facts, the papers will sensationalise it but hopefully the club will take a reasoned view.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Couldn't agree less with the two posts above. I was absolutely livid to read about this this morning. At the very least Bradbury must be stripped of the captaincy (not that he seemed to be making a particularly god fist of it) and if it weren't for the fact that as a country/club we can't afford to lose players of his caliber I'd sack him to make an example of him and send the message that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated. This might seem harsh given that the details remain unknown at this stage but unfortunately it's all too believable.

There has been much talk on this forum and elsewhere about the long term cultural problems within Edinburgh rugby and I personally feel that a culture or at least tolerance of heavy boozing is a part of this. Going back many years, a good friend of mine was the manager of an up-town bar and two long-serving Edinburgh international forwards used to come in on a Thursday night before games and order a bottle of wine EACH! He always said that the most galling thing was that as he slammed their bottles of wine down on the table with the words 'Play well tomorrow boys, yeah' they didn't even have the decency to look slightly embarrassed. A couple of years ago I was working as mini-cab driver and picked up a couple of Academy boys from Murrayfield after a pre-season event and they were paralitic. I mean seriously, unable to speak, drooling messes. Needless to say neither of them made it as pros but I was shocked that they would get into such a state at a team event. A few weeks ago a couple of student rugby players who come into the pub where I now work told me that they'd ended up on a night out with one of Edinburgh's young 'stars' through a mutual friend and they described him as a 'f***ing maniac on the bevvy'. I'm not puritanical about booze, I like getting messed up as much as the next person but I'm not a 'professional' rugby player!

I suspect Cockerill is aware of this given some comments he has made about professional culture extending beyond what you do on the playing/training pitch and being about your overall lifestyle. I'm sick and tired of young Scottish players who think that they've made it because they've got a contract. Getting paid doesn't make you a professional - being a professional is about your entire lifestyle and maximising your ability at every turn. I'm also fed up of handing over my hard earned cash to watch Edinburgh when the money ends up in the pockets of entitled, self satisfied wee ChristopheBerdos so they can quite literally TonySpreadbury it up against a wall.

Okay, rant almost over. In conclusion, I hope Edinburgh throw the book at Bradbury and use this moment to establish some ground rules and some minimum standards of acceptable behavior that have to be adhered to if players want to have the privilege (and it is a privilege) of being paid to play the game and to represent our club.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Spot on.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:47 pm

I kind of agree with the Nudger, but I wouldn't sack him for this - stripped of the captaincy though certainly. The stories sound all too believable.

Considering Bradbury has been suspended by the club I doubt he fell over. He's definitely been up to something otherwise there's no need to suspend him.

The Thistle Rugby Pod who clearly know people in the Edinburgh team have mentioned several times how much Bradbury and du Preez love a beer.

Toonie banned drinking at Glasgow, I don't think that's the correct approach in all cases but if Cockers did the same for a season to ramp up the professionalism I would not be too disappointed.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Concussion is bad news for him - makes him much more likely to get concussed again in future. The club have suspended him so will see what happens but it's bad news. Could be good for Crosbie though...
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:22 pm

The Nudger wrote:Couldn't agree less with the two posts above. I was absolutely livid to read about this this morning. At the very least Bradbury must be stripped of the captaincy (not that he seemed to be making a particularly god fist of it) and if it weren't for the fact that as a country/club we can't afford to lose players of his caliber I'd sack him to make an example of him and send the message that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated. This might seem harsh given that the details remain unknown at this stage but unfortunately it's all too believable.

There has been much talk on this forum and elsewhere about the long term cultural problems within Edinburgh rugby and I personally feel that a culture or at least tolerance of heavy boozing is a part of this. Going back many years, a good friend of mine was the manager of an up-town bar and two long-serving Edinburgh international forwards used to come in on a Thursday night before games and order a bottle of wine EACH! He always said that the most galling thing was that as he slammed their bottles of wine down on the table with the words 'Play well tomorrow boys, yeah' they didn't even have the decency to look slightly embarrassed. A couple of years ago I was working as mini-cab driver and picked up a couple of Academy boys from Murrayfield after a pre-season event and they were paralitic. I mean seriously, unable to speak, drooling messes. Needless to say neither of them made it as pros but I was shocked that they would get into such a state at a team event. A few weeks ago a couple of student rugby players who come into the pub where I now work told me that they'd ended up on a night out with one of Edinburgh's young 'stars' through a mutual friend and they described him as a 'f***ing maniac on the bevvy'. I'm not puritanical about booze, I like getting messed up as much as the next person but I'm not a 'professional' rugby player!

I suspect Cockerill is aware of this given some comments he has made about professional culture extending beyond what you do on the playing/training pitch and being about your overall lifestyle. I'm sick and tired of young Scottish players who think that they've made it because they've got a contract. Getting paid doesn't make you a professional - being a professional is about your entire lifestyle and maximising your ability at every turn. I'm also fed up of handing over my hard earned cash to watch Edinburgh when the money ends up in the pockets of entitled, self satisfied wee ChristopheBerdos so they can quite literally TonySpreadbury it up against a wall.

Okay, rant almost over. In conclusion, I hope Edinburgh throw the book at Bradbury and use this moment to establish some ground rules and some minimum standards of acceptable behavior that have to be adhered to if players want to have the privilege (and it is a privilege) of being paid to play the game and to represent our club.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that all the facts were in the public domain so conclusions such as this could be drawn. I don't know what happened so rather to rely on speculation and rumour, was happy to wait till the club establishes what went on and take a reasoned view based on that.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I kind of agree with the Nudger, but I wouldn't sack him for this - stripped of the captaincy though certainly. The stories sound all too believable.

Considering Bradbury has been suspended by the club I doubt he fell over. He's definitely been up to something otherwise there's no need to suspend him.

The Thistle Rugby Pod who clearly know people in the Edinburgh team have mentioned several times how much Bradbury and du Preez love a beer.

Toonie banned drinking at Glasgow, I don't think that's the correct approach in all cases but if Cockers did the same for a season to ramp up the professionalism I would not be too disappointed.

He is subject to an internal disciplinary inquiry. Players subject to this are automatically suspended whilst it is ongoing. That there is an inquiry means that the club thinks there are grounds for believing wrongdoing has taken place. The enquiry will demonstrate whether it did not or not, the degree if it did, and then they decide what sanction is required.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Suspension clearly suggests more to it than the initial reports from this morning. There appears to be no police involvement etc so sacking I think extreme there are plenty of other ways to make an example that would have a better result for all involved.

If handled correctly it could make Bradbury a better player/captain for the experience.

I await further details.

Edit: one other point the fact he has been suspended perhaps actually suggests the shift in culture toward a more professional approach rather than a continuation of old. I don't recall an ER player ever being suspended for an internal issue before so if this is a relatively minor incident getting dealt with professionally then maybe things are heading in the right direction, but still need the full story.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:07 pm

I think we need to wait til the story comes out fully.

I suspect he'll have done something wrong and be stripped of the captaincy.

I certainly wouldn't be sacking him unless he's found to have done something gravely wrong. He's still young and if the situation is managed properly (punished, supported and he bucks up his ideas) he can still be a good player for Edinburgh.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm

I am SteveWalsh myself thinking about the interview without coffee with Cockerill
Last edited by GaryIPA on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 pm

He's 22, yes he's been given the captaincy but if he made a mistake that's all it is. I say let the coaches sort it out and trust their judgement.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Nothing like a good knew jerk reaction, we really don't know any details yet.

Players are allowed a night out and it is possible to fall over without being blind drunk. A lot will depend on the circumstances, if he fell over after talking a swing at a policeman and biting the head of a pigeon then he might deserve the punishment some of you want meted out.

if he got drunk and fell over then he has been daft and may well lose the captaincy. I don't think we need to make a huge issue about it yet. There is no way he should lose his job if he has not broken the law and legally I don't think it would be very clever for an employer to take that action.

Much is made of the culture at Glasgow which is streets ahead of ours, but by there are at least 5 members of their squad who would never play rugby again If the same logic was applied as is being suggested.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum