Krasny Yar v Edinburgh Rugby

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Krasny Yar v Edinburgh Rugby

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:39 pm

We've got Treviso next week.
I hope they are determined to wreak some revenge
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Good result sounds like a professional job done, which is further improvement. Suspect Cockerill will still be annoyed at conceding the last try especially when Krazny only had 14, play to the whistle etc.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Can't argue with that win, and nice too see us maintain focus despite being well ahead at half time. Hope Tovey's injury is not too bad. Sets us up well in this competition, and should give us plenty confidence to take into the upcoming Pro 14 games.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Tichtheid wrote:We've got Treviso next week.

Toulon have just beaten Benetton with a penalty in the 83rd minute 29-30 :eek:
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:We've got Treviso next week.

Toulon have just beaten Benetton with a penalty in the 83rd minute 29-30 :eek:

Strong performances from both Italian sides today.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Full game is now on YouTube from Rugger TV.

Not sure what quality/camera work is going to be like and struggling to copy link but Google search should bring it up

Try this, appears to include warm up as well, about 14mins till game starts

https://youtu.be/YbSNStTlCpU

Edit: gave it a watch, not a bad performance. Some nice tries and a few errors

Crosbie some ball carrier looks a real talent.

McCallum good took his try well, do wonder why we have not seen much of him.

Mata good to see him back he is going to be a handful.

Tovey injury did not look good, looked like he couldn't straighten leg so maybe a cartilage tear.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Looks like LI are heading for BP win at Stade. Which is not bad for us.

A 0-0 draw would have been the ideal result for us. Hopefully Stade or Krasny can take some more points from LI but it looks unlikely.
It looks like Stade are not going to treat it as training so hopefully we can win both of those games.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for the link. I skimmed through the game to watch the trys they were pretty solid if unspectacular. Fair play to the Russians to keep at it.

Good quality vid allowing for the camera positions. Looked like a few people in the park stopped to watch. Tovey is a worry.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Watching the game myself, on double speed though so not real depth.
Crosbie had a good game and made some big hits, Kinghorn was the same as ever mixing some good runs with sloppy mistakes, Bresler showed up fairly well, Johnstone did pretty well in attack. McCallum made a good impact off the bench and has a pretty great strike rate for a prop. H-C and Kinghorn were OK at 10, but I don't think we'd want to rely on them in a proper game.

Can't read much into the game, the gulf was too large and the score blew out almost instantly.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Skimmed through and watched the tries. Solid and professional by the looks of it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks for the link FG, that video's pretty decent.

Not a spectacular and not as ebullient as the scoreline suggests. I need to watch it again but first impression is that, once the Krasny backs defence eventually got into first gear about 15 minutes in, it was pretty much a forwards game, with 5 pushover tries and the penalty try for a collapsed maul.The ball got out to Rasolea often enough and he sometimes got Johnstone away, but JJ got wrapped up most times and Hoyland and Brown didn't see much of the ball. There was not a lot of cohesion in the backs' attack and it looked a bit helter-akelter.

Against a three-quarters of Krasny's calibre, I'd thought we might see some more riveting back play. Still, a big win is a big win.

A good shift from the 3 young guys, Carmichael carries well and Crosbie looks good, McCallum is a voracious tackler, all three brought some added zip and effort. The defence is becoming a strong card, with what looked to be just the one lapse for that first Krasny try.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 pm

royc wrote:Thanks for the link FG, that video's pretty decent.

Not a spectacular and not as ebullient as the scoreline suggests. I need to watch it again but first impression is that, once the Krasny backs defence eventually got into first gear about 15 minutes in, it was pretty much a forwards game, with 5 pushover tries and the penalty try for a collapsed maul.The ball got out to Rasolea often enough and he sometimes got Johnstone away, but JJ got wrapped up most times and Hoyland and Brown didn't see much of the ball. There was not a lot of cohesion in the backs' attack and it looked a bit helter-akelter.

Against a three-quarters of Krasny's calibre, I'd thought we might see some more riveting back play. Still, a big win is a big win.

A good shift from the 3 young guys, Carmichael carries well and Crosbie looks good, McCallum is a voracious tackler, all three brought some added zip and effort. The defence is becoming a strong card, with what looked to be just the one lapse for that first Krasny try.

Agree about the three young guys, all of them showed up well. I think Carmichael needs a few games to show us what he can do, he looks an athlete and a bit like Toollis in how he plays the game. Crosbie is exactly the sort of back row player we have needed for a few years, big, aggressive and dynamic and softens the blow of losing Bradbury for a few games. McCallum is one for the future and for a young guy looks the real deal in the front row. He did well last year when asked to deliver and I have no doubt he will become a mainstay for the national team in a few years time.

As others have said the backs still lack cohesion, although I thought SHC looked better at 10 than at 9! He played most of his school rugby there as Merchie had a better 9 available! Might be worth playing him there next week, assuming Tovey is out?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:34 pm

doedin wrote:
Agree about the three young guys, all of them showed up well. I think Carmichael needs a few games to show us what he can do, he looks an athlete and a bit like Toollis in how he plays the game. Crosbie is exactly the sort of back row player we have needed for a few years, big, aggressive and dynamic and softens the blow of losing Bradbury for a few games. McCallum is one for the future and for a young guy looks the real deal in the front row. He did well last year when asked to deliver and I have no doubt he will become a mainstay for the national team in a few years time.

As others have said the backs still lack cohesion, although I thought SHC looked better at 10 than at 9! He played most of his school rugby there as Merchie had a better 9 available! Might be worth playing him there next week, assuming Tovey is out?

I'm quite cautious about putting too much focus on where someone played in school especially when they have two future pros in the side. SHC was then shunted to 15 for the Scotland age grades for Tommasso Allan of all people so I don't think where he played at 17 or off the back of a game vs Krasny is compelling reason for changing his position. Baggott who has been marshalling Melrose around deserves a go.

Watching the highlights I do worry about Nel - just looks too small and hesitant, thought Crosbie and Carmichael looked good in the back row - which is fortunate considering Hardie might be gone from Edinburgh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:34 pm

I thought SHC looked pretty good at 9 yesterday, his service looked crisper and more accurate and he generally kicks well tactically. He didn't look out of place at 10 either, but admittedly it was a short cameo to judge on. I felt he was perhaps quicker and more assured than Kinghorn at 10 but would need to watch it again to see if first impressions are borne out.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:41 pm

royc wrote:I thought SHC looked pretty good at 9 yesterday, his service looked crisper and more accurate and he generally kicks well tactically. He didn't look out of place at 10 either, but admittedly it was a short cameo to judge on. I felt he was perhaps quicker and more assured than Kinghorn at 10 but would need to watch it again to see if first impressions are borne out.

Kinghorn isn't a 10 either though, will either be Burleigh or Baggott you'd assume next week.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum