Hardie Suspension

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Hardie Suspension

Postby BigD163 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 am

The fact it is cocaine rather than steroids (all allegedly) muddies the water slightly for me.

Yes cocaine is bad and illegal but it is not a banned substance out of competition according to WADA and as he seemingly has never failed a test then his use appears to be "out of competition" (which in itself is quite a loose term).

So it may be more a breach of SRU/Edinburghs code of conduct rather than an anti doping body. In terms of punishment I'd be thinking suspension til the end of the season and support through rehab if required.

Time to let the investigation play out now.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 am

It depends on his reasons for taking it. If it is to deal with underlying issues such as depression then suspension could be the worst possible thing to do.

If it is just getting his jollies then fair enough.

He was one of the very few signings of the past few years who have been an unmitigated success, until now!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 am

Earlier this year two Aviva Prem players were caught but not named as it was their first offence. https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/two-premiership-rugby-players-test-positive-for-cocaine-use-rfu-confirms-a3451066.html
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:31 am

Hardie is a world class openside when fit, he must be on a fair whack, probably one of the highest earning SRU contracted players. He has also had a fair few head injuries. They couldn't be using this issue to get him off the books could they?
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

ratty wrote:Hardie is a world class openside when fit, he must be on a fair whack, probably one of the highest earning SRU contracted players. He has also had a fair few head injuries. They couldn't be using this issue to get him off the books could they?

That was my first thought as well!
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:06 pm

adi1314 wrote:
ratty wrote:Hardie is a world class openside when fit, he must be on a fair whack, probably one of the highest earning SRU contracted players. He has also had a fair few head injuries. They couldn't be using this issue to get him off the books could they?

To be fair, they have backed him with a new contract last summer despite all his injuries. They'd be well within their right to suspend him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm

I doubt it, Hardie seems quite a popular member of the team - if they hung him out to dry like this purely to shift him from the wage bill doubt his mates would be all that happy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 pm

If they did, then there would be a large claim coming to them via an Employment Tribunal for unfair dismissal unless gross misconduct could be proven. Seems unlikely anyway, as keeping Hardie would've been regarded as a bonus this year, with his injury record probably being a hindrance to a move to the AP or Top14.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:00 pm

A very hard line taken by UKAD here, although that was a failed test, which it doesn't sound like Hardie was.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41760882
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:36 pm

adi1314 wrote:

Hmmm
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Weegie wrote:
adi1314 wrote:

Hmmm

With a mere two thirds of a season left on his current contract, I think this is probably a conspiracy theory too far!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby 4ft on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:24 pm

It it usual for the investigation to take this long?

If JH is innocent his season will be severely impacted by the lack of squad training time.
4ft
Embra Debut

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:10 pm

The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:28 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:3 month suspension

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/1 ... ohn-hardie

That's a surprise after all this time.

I wonder if his contract will be renewed. Not sure I see a need once Barclay arrives.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Weegie wrote:
I wonder if his contract will be renewed. Not sure I see a need once Barclay arrives.

I wouldn't have Hardie out of the door too quickly. I think he's quality, and Barclays days as a 7 are probably coming to an end.

Also Watson has really put himself in the shop window in the AIs. Maybe seen as not quite bulky enough for the T14 to come a-calling ( although he could definitely play in that league imo ), but a number of AP clubs might well be interested.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum