Benetton v. Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Benetton v. Edinburgh

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Highlights on BBC

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41775695

Some really nice scores
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:41 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Highlights on BBC

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41775695

Some really nice scores

Kinghorn made Fife’s first try from nothing. Some nice work in all the scores.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:21 am

biffer wrote:After tonight's result in Belfast we're only one win behind Ulster.

Five points behind Ulster is still a huge gap but yeah, it's good to be here.
On the last try, Dean's passing was great : he really made up the try (and Kinghorn almost threw it away delaying his pass :oops: ). Johnston's passing on the first too : he could have scored easily, he decided to pass to ease the conversion.
I saw the last 20, and I have no regrets for the BP. The win is enough to content me.

It's early days, but we're decent. That's great. C'mon Captain McKenzie !
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 am

Watson 20 tackles yesterday.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 am

germain wrote:
biffer wrote:After tonight's result in Belfast we're only one win behind Ulster.

Five points behind Ulster is still a huge gap but yeah, it's good to be here.
On the last try, Dean's passing was great : he really made up the try (and Kinghorn almost threw it away delaying his pass :oops: ). Johnston's passing on the first too : he could have scored easily, he decided to pass to ease the conversion.
I saw the last 20, and I have no regrets for the BP. The win is enough to content me.

It's early days, but we're decent. That's great. C'mon Captain McKenzie !

Alternatively Kinghorn timed the pass to absolute perfection.

I didn't see Dean's pass at the time but it was excellent, it's a shame he isn't seeing more gametime - with Burleigh away in Scotland camp there's an opportunity for him however I worry the coaches see him just as a 13 when he deserves an opportunity at 12.

Also great hands from du Preez for that try and all match so with my Scotland hat on think that's a tick in his box in Townsend's thinking.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Good result and shame we didnt get BP. Only seen highlights but it looks like Cockerill is beginning to have an impact on the fragile mentality of old.

Whilst it is good to get an away win and we are slowly making progress I am not quite as convinced as some that we have turned a corner. It is a funny start to the season following a Lions Tour and we have seen that up to now. The Italians have improved in their organisation and fitness thanks to O'Shea's influence and surprised a few teams, a lot of the Irish and Welsh teams rested their Lions guys at the start of the season and the new conference, with all the travel involved and the undercooked saffies teams has made it difficult to estimate progress. However after 7 games it is beginning to shake out and we are showing we are the best of the worst in our conference with Benetton, Dragons and Kings below us, and indeed across both conferences. TBH I would be really disappointed if we had failed to achieve that. We still struggle to score enough points in games and still can't turn pressure into scores. However if we are to demonstrate that we have made real progress then getting above Ulster and into the top 3 has to be the measure we use?

Ulster looked fairly toothless against Leinster last night, despite all their grunt and muscle up front their backs didn't really know what to do with the ball, apart from dropping it. In fact neither team looked all that impressive even allowing for the weather. However Ulster will in all likelihood beat the Kings next week so we need to show we have made progress by turning over the Os at home next Saturday and keeping in touch. The Os have struggled without their big names who are slowly coming back but have still only won two out of nine games all season so they should be there for the taking. If we have made the progress some on here think we have then we should be able to get the win, I suspect we might too but it will be hard. With some of our injured guys coming back we should be improving too. The Os will be a really good test of where we currently are this season, lets hope we pass the test!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Alternatively Kinghorn timed the pass to absolute perfection.

For me, there was no need to delay his pass, and it was almost a forward pass (precisely because of the delay). But it's a detail, the try has been awarded.

doedin wrote: If we have made the progress some on here think we have then we should be able to get the win, I suspect we might too but it will be hard.

You already know that it's not because we're improved on this game that we are guaranteed any positive result for the next game.
We will wait and hope.
But hope there is (at least for me) because I feel something is taking shape. And being hopeful about edinburgh is a real change for me.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 pm

doedin wrote:Good result and shame we didnt get BP. Only seen highlights but it looks like Cockerill is beginning to have an impact on the fragile mentality of old.

Whilst it is good to get an away win and we are slowly making progress I am not quite as convinced as some that we have turned a corner. It is a funny start to the season following a Lions Tour and we have seen that up to now.

Disagree, Leinster played with their Lions (granted missing a preseason) and the Scarlets had most of their stars out there. True, the Blues have Warburton but he never plays for them anyway.

We are turning a corner, you watch Edinburgh these days and you get 80 minutes of effort and good intensity. There's a lot to work on but mentally we look a different team to last year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 am

germain wrote:On the last try, Dean's passing was great : he really made up the try (and Kinghorn almost threw it away delaying his pass :oops: ).

Kinghorn draws the man perfectly before passing. If he passes earlier there is a chance the defender can drift over to cover, the delay means that is never happening. Watch it again from the second angle )behind the Treviso line), he has loads of time not so obvious from the first angle
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 am

Looks to me like we are making a lot more of the right decisions combined with actually having the basic skills to complete the moves as well.

Often the last couple of seasons we would make a break and then either not pass and butcher the chance, or fire a bad pass behind the support player, or into touch, or the support player would not be there, or be in front. We are not seeing this sort of pish anywhere near as much this season. It looks like the team know what they should be doing and are confident doing it.

It certainly feels like there has been a bit of progress from last season I like that Cockerill appears to make 7 or 8 changes per match with no real drop off in performance. Still early days and tougher challenges to come but definite moves in the right direction.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Looks to me like we are making a lot more of the right decisions combined with actually having the basic skills to complete the moves as well.

Often the last couple of seasons we would make a break and then either not pass and butcher the chance, or fire a bad pass behind the support player, or into touch, or the support player would not be there, or be in front. We are not seeing this sort of pish anywhere near as much this season. It looks like the team know what they should be doing and are confident doing it.

I reckon it's confidence, the more you execute moves under pressure the easier it becomes, until you get to Glasgow's level where you expect to execute the move/score and not doing so is water off a duck's back as you know it will work next time.

The tries on Saturday came from good passing and good support lines for the first, plus committing the defender before making the pass for the other two - it's all simple stuff, but up to now we've been panicking.

What I'd like to see is more pace from the pack, more aggression at the breakdown to generate quick ball.

Oh and a functioning lineout would be nice.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:26 pm

We've had a good season, but Benetton have also improved hugely. Their win in Dublin gives them a chance of catching Ulster, but even if they don't they have had an excellent campaign. Credit to them, and it's very good for the league that the Italian sides are becoming competitive at last.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum