Benetton v. Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Benetton v. Edinburgh

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Full time, 24-13 Edinburgh. Good win that.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Good win in the end, and very good to deny them an LBP right at the death. We definitely grew into the game, and dominated the last 20 minutes.

Set-piece was a bit of a mess, especially the lineout, and the pack struggled a bit with Treviso's aggression in the first half, but got better as it went on. Watson in particular was quiet early on but made an impact later.

Tovey had a very good second half, and it was good to see Fife getting rewarded for all the effort he was putting in.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Didn't see the game, but that's a great result. Indicates we have progressed since we played them at Myreside.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Great result in a venue that is not easy to visit these days. Team really making strides and developing a tougher mentality. Not much sign of the usual doom mongers these days.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Excellent performance, Treviso are no mugs anymore, really pleased.

Lineout was terrible but everything else went very well. I thought du Preez was excellent - best I've seen from him in a while (no surprise he works in a back row without Bradbury). Kinghorn and Tovey were excellent!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Annoyingly couldn't get any of the streams to work but sounded a good win-and three excellent back tries.
Seems to have been forgotten that Edinburgh have had an extraordinary schedule for the past three games-to travel to London,Moscow then Italy on successive weekends and win all three was great going considering more than a few of the players made all three trips (someone will have the exact number!)-and I didn't see any complaints about this scheduling quoted in the press!
Only gripe-why did the excellent McCallum only come on with two minutes to go? Likely he'll
be the starting TH in the next 2/3games though.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Excellent win, although slightly annoying to not snaffle the try BP. Then again, when your biggest complaint is only getting 4 rather than 5 points away from home, and against a team that very nearly beat Toulon the week before, life is pretty good :wink:
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I agree, Rico. It was a gutsy win, withstanding the periods they were in the ascendancy and just getting on with it after making mistakes, and to come back in the last quarter and take the match, all in all it was a good thing to see.

A long way off a perfect performance, mind, but some green shoots perhaps
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:08 pm

liveinhope wrote:Seems to have been forgotten that Edinburgh have had an extraordinary schedule for the past three games-to travel to London,Moscow then Italy on successive weekends and win all three was great going considering more than a few of the players made all three trips (someone will have the exact number!)-and I didn't see any complaints about this scheduling quoted in the press!

13 players did all 3 games and got their frequent flyer badges. 1

11 others did two of the three.

1 Bryce, Dean, Tovey, SHC, Fowles, Marfo, McInally, Cochrane, Nel, McKenzie, Gilchrist, Crosbie, du Preez
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Just noticed that we won 6 (six, ffs) out of 22 last season

We are 4/7 so far
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Just noticed that we won 6 (six, ffs) out of 22 last season

We are 4/7 so far

Including 2 away wins, something as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth in recent seasons (and 2 away wins in the euro competition).
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 pm

We are 4/7 so far

And that's with 3 bankers against the powderpuff Weegie pack still to come
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 pm

royc wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Seems to have been forgotten that Edinburgh have had an extraordinary schedule for the past three games-to travel to London,Moscow then Italy on successive weekends and win all three was great going considering more than a few of the players made all three trips (someone will have the exact number!)-and I didn't see any complaints about this scheduling quoted in the press!

13 players did all 3 games and got their frequent flyer badges. 1

11 others did two of the three.

1 Bryce, Dean, Tovey, SHC, Fowles, Marfo, McInally, Cochrane, Nel, McKenzie, Gilchrist, Crosbie, du Preez

And a fortnight in safferland to come as well.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 pm

We are 4/7 so far

That's not counting a handy win vs London Irish too. Although we did have some nice away wins last year in the Challenge Cup.

Cockerill is doing very well, players don't fold like a cheap sun lounger anymore and they keep high intensity for 80 minutes. Defence is improving, the attack is showing flashes - was excellent stuff on show today, some genuine competition for places as players doing well (all 4 centres for example).

I had hoped he'd introduce a bit more youth - would like to see what Hunter-Hill, Shiel and Baggott are about. Hopefully Graham gets a go when he's fit and McCallum gets more gametime with Carmichael and Crosbie. But such is competition for places you can't fit them all in. The improvement in Ritchie this year is quite something.

Would like to see him push Bradbury/du Preez, McInally and Toolis up a level further to guaranteed Scotland starter and re-find Nel's form. If you get those lads firing we're really going places. Kinghorn didn't make mistakes and was solid in defence today - we need that every week. It seems Tovey is going well which helps too.

Very happy with how Cockers is going so far, long may it continue.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 pm

After tonight's result in Belfast we're only one win behind Ulster.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum