Benetton v. Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Benetton v. Edinburgh

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Team's up

1. Maro
2. McInally
3. Nel
4. McKenzie (c)
5. Toolis
6. Crosbie
7. Watson
8. Du Preez
9. Hidalgo-Clyne
10. Tovey
11. Harries
12. Burleigh
13. Johnstone
14. Fife
15. Kinghorn

16. Cochrane, 17. Rizzo, 18. McCallum, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Carmichael, 21. Fowles, 22. Bryce, 23. Dean

Didn't realise we still had Rizzo. Bradbury surprisingly not included, perhaps still not 100% fit.

Solid pack, backs not very exciting. Definitely going in as underdogs.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Re: Benetton v. Edinburgh

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 pm

gowrie wrote:Team's up

1. Maro

Itoje? :D
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:28 pm

gowrie wrote:Solid pack, backs not very exciting. Definitely going in as underdogs.

backs would e fine if the solid pack delivers repeated good quick ball and SHC gets in out.

Is Beghan injured or is this a sign that he is ahead of Nel for the AIs? Deserves to be for my money
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Back row of Crosbie, watson and DuPreez is potentially very exciting.

Treviso playing well, ran Toulon close so certainly a step up from our last two matches, think it will be a close match hopefully we can be on the right side of the score sheet at the end.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:34 pm

joe soap wrote:Is Beghan injured or is this a sign that he is ahead of Nel for the AIs? Deserves to be for my money

Don't think so, my guess is a small injury. Can't see Cockerill going along with a rest in a big game like this, especially when Berghan hasn't exactly been overworked.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:12 pm

gowrie wrote:
joe soap wrote:Is Beghan injured or is this a sign that he is ahead of Nel for the AIs? Deserves to be for my money

Don't think so, my guess is a small injury. Can't see Cockerill going along with a rest in a big game like this, especially when Berghan hasn't exactly been overworked.

maybe a niggle I guess, otherwise as you say Berghan hasn't been overworked so its a Scotland called rest. SRU wold decide here, Cockerill can ask for a player if short handed with injury, but pro team coaches get over-ruled here
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Might be an element of some players needing gametime before the AIs. I can see that applying to Nel.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby minlay89 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:39 pm

What's the word on Robbie Fruean?
minlay89
Embra Debut

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Might be an element of some players needing gametime before the AIs. I can see that applying to Nel.

Nel has had loads of match time this season.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm

joe soap wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:Might be an element of some players needing gametime before the AIs. I can see that applying to Nel.

And still looks like he could do with more.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:58 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
joe soap wrote:

he has looked poor of that's what you mean. I know he is supposed to need to play a lot to keep form, but I'm afraid I'm not in favour of keeping picking him in the hope he comes good, or using Edinburgh as a warm up zone for Scotland when Edinburgh have a big challenge ahead.

Perhaps he would find some form if told to play some premiership rugby #outofcomfortzzone
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 pm

I think that has the potential to be a potent set of backs. If Tovey gets the backline moving both centres can run creative lines and have good hands, the back three can all finish.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:33 pm

joe soap wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
joe soap wrote:

he has looked poor of that's what you mean. I know he is supposed to need to play a lot to keep form, but I'm afraid I'm not in favour of keeping picking him in the hope he comes good, or using Edinburgh as a warm up zone for Scotland when Edinburgh have a big challenge ahead.

Perhaps he would find some form if told to play some premiership rugby #outofcomfortzzone

That's a good point. Over the years I've often thought we've been lumbered with players working their way back to fitness or form to the detriment of our results. Some 'star' players have probably never played for their prem team.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:19 pm

gunneria wrote:That's a good point. Over the years I've often thought we've been lumbered with players working their way back to fitness or form to the detriment of our results. Some 'star' players have probably never played for their prem team.

over the years its been part of the soft culture at Edinburgh. And part of being at Murrayfield. All too cosy. Pretty sure Cockerill knows and has said as much since he arrived - players knowing they will be picked for Scotland however they play, and so have to get picked for Edinburgh to ensure game time.
Well Cockers by now knows the pressure from Murrayfield but at least its looking from Townsend's squad that players have to convince Townsend they are playing well to get picked, reputations don't count (see Denton, Strauss, SHC, Visser).
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 pm

I see van der Merwe is on the bench for Heriots tomorrow, hopefully he comes through that OK and is about ready to debut for ER. Thought Sutherland might be on the bench for Treviso, is he playing for Hawick again? And where is that Mata, he would have been useful v Benetton surely, they are a big bunch of guys.

I wonder if Fruean is not fully fit or not preferred, only 2 starts out of 9 games, and neither in his best position at O/Centre.
royc
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum