Edinburgh v Ospreys

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Ospreys

Postby biffer on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:47 pm

The hairsprays have struggled this year, it’s really not clicking for them. Some old wounds could be eased by beating them this Saturday. We’ll be short of a few from Scotland call ups - likely Ford, Nel, McInally, probably Berghan, Watson, etc. But we should still get a strong team out.

Sutherland, Cochrane, McCallum, MacKenzie, Bresler, Crosbie, du Preez, Bradbury
SHC, Tovey, Harries, Fruean, Johnstone, Hoyland, Kinghorn.

Could potentially have one or two of Ritchie, Berghan, Gilchrist or Toolis, Fowler and Burleigh available as well.

They’ll be missing Webb, Biggar, Wyn Jones, Tipuric, Lydiate, Beard, Smith and Cross.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Ospreys

Postby gowrie on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:58 pm

I'd guess a team like this
1. Rizzo, 2. Ford, 3. McCallum, 4. McKenzie, 5. Bresler, 6. Carmichael, 7. Crosbie, 8. Bradbury
9. SHC, 10. Tovey, 11. Harries, 12. Dean, 13. Johnstone, 14. Brown, 15. Kinghorn
16. Cochrane, 17. Sutherland, 18. Bryce, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Miller, 21. Fowles, 22. Burleigh, 23. Bryce

Ford will need the game time since he's likely to be involved in the 23, and I think the Scotland squad players will be released in the areas we've got a few injuries already. Not sure on the current injury status of Ritchie and Fruean though.

Strong enough to beat a poor Ospreys side at home, especially without their international players. Big test to see if we've progressed past the Treviso mess or not.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm

The Ospreys have indeed had a poor season so far, yet they pushed Saracens all the way in London last week and only lost very narrowly. They also had a good win against the Dragons on Friday, so maybe are getting back to something like their old form. But as always at this time of year, a lot will depend on international call ups, and both teams may be significantly affected by these. One plus for us is that most of our players have had game time this season, and there really isn't a huge difference in standard between a lot of them. Whatever side we field will be decent, whether that's good enough to win we'll find out on Saturday.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 am

This is a different Ospreys team to that which started the season. Their squad will have some confidence about them.

That's not to say it is not a winnable game.

I would expect Nel/Berghan, GIlchrist, maybe Ritchie, CdP, Fowles, Fife and Burleigh all to be available if we want them. Sutherland may get a look in too.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 pm

gowrie wrote:I'd guess a team like this
1. Rizzo, 2. Ford, 3. McCallum, 4. McKenzie, 5. Bresler, 6. Carmichael, 7. Crosbie, 8. Bradbury
9. SHC, 10. Tovey, 11. Harries, 12. Dean, 13. Johnstone, 14. Brown, 15. Kinghorn
16. Cochrane, 17. Sutherland, 18. Bryce, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Miller, 21. Fowles, 22. Burleigh, 23. Bryce

I would be happy to see this XV.
I suspect we could see Hunter-Hill and Mata on the bench instead of Gilchrist (who could start for Scotland) and Miller; maybe Hoyland instead of Burleigh too.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 pm

there no easy games and this isn't one. As stated they ran Saracens closer than anyone thought. But as Biffer points out, missing AWJ, Tiperic, Webb and Bigger. An Ospreys team without those 4 should be very beatable, they really are the core and heart of Ospreys - as long as we players don't get ahead of themselves and focus on defensive systems.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:07 pm

joe soap wrote:there no easy games and this isn't one. As stated they ran Saracens closer than anyone thought. But as Biffer points out, missing AWJ, Tiperic, Webb and Bigger. An Ospreys team without those 4 should be very beatable, they really are the core and heart of Ospreys - as long as we players don't get ahead of themselves and focus on defensive systems.

That’s assuming they’re missing of course. But I hope they are!
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 am

biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote:there no easy games and this isn't one. As stated they ran Saracens closer than anyone thought. But as Biffer points out, missing AWJ, Tiperic, Webb and Bigger. An Ospreys team without those 4 should be very beatable, they really are the core and heart of Ospreys - as long as we players don't get ahead of themselves and focus on defensive systems.

That’s assuming they’re missing of course. But I hope they are!

ah, you had me quite upbeat thinking you knew they were out :lol:

They are different side without them, but have to play whoever is in front of them
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am

Hodge's interview in some newspapers... Quite boring and whining.
I'm so glad he's not anymore the HC.
Cockerill is quite the opposite.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Team
1. Rizzo
2. Cochrane
3. Berghan
4. McKenzie (c)
5. Gilchrist
6. Crosbie
7. Ritchie
8. Du Preez
9. Fowles
10. Tovey
11. Brown
12. Burleigh
13. Johnstone
14. Fife
15. Kinghorn

16. Fenton, 17. Sutherland, 18. McCallum, 19. Bradbury, 20. Carmichael, 21. Hidalgo-Clyne, 22. Bryce, 23. Dean

Great to see Sutherland finally back, and congratulations to Fenton on potentially making his debut. Guess Bradbury covering lock ahead of Carmichael tells us where Cockerill sees his future. Disappointed Dean's not starting, I thought we looked a lot better against Treviso when he came on.

Can also make out a good few Scotland starters now; Marfo, McInally, Nel, Gray, Toolis, Watson, all look fairly nailed on now.
Last edited by gowrie on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Looks a decent team

Rizzo, Cochrane, Berghan, MacKenzie, Gilchrist, Ritchie, du Preez, Crosbie
Fowles, Tovey, Brown, Burleigh, Johnstone, Fife, Kinghorn

Fenton, McCallum, Sutherland, Bradbury, Carmichael, SHC, Bryce, Dean

Good to see Fenton getting his first appearance, Pack still looks strong and I assume Carmichael will cover second row in case of injury. Great to see Sutherland back in the shirt as well.

Be interesting to see who's allowed to play for the Ospreys.
Last edited by biffer on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Just had a look, no Tipuric, Wyn-Jones, Biggar or Webb. Sam Davies at 10
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Good team – a settled backline that is scoring tries again, experienced second row, balanced and in form back row plus a really strong bench for the AI period.

Great to see Sutherland back in contention and Fenton on the bench. Expect Bradbury to run hard at the first Osprey he sees when he gets on and hopefully channel the frustration of the last few weeks.

Pretty happy with that squad.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Interesting that Bradbury is #19 and Carmichael is #20?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Van Der Merve is starting for Heriots tomorrow, hopefully see him in an ER jersey soon.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum