Edinburgh v Ospreys

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Ospreys

Postby royc on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 pm

A very good win and some great signs of progress.

The defence has become a very strong card, excellent line speed, positioning, drift and everyone's tackling anything that moves. McCrae has done a great job, what a difference from last season.

The second notable improvement is in speed, mobility and keeping the ball alive, all from the GT playbook I guess. The back 5 forwards were all very good at carrying up and clearing out, good to see CdP and Gilchrist getting back to their best and Crosbie is a real find. And the front row are just about as mobile and did some great work in the rucks.

Third key element for me was how well the backs are playing, without exception, constant attack with ball in hand, very good passing and support play and everyone having a go at breaking the line. They are at last staggering their line in attack and not drifting into playing flat, so players have the space to get up to speed and manoeuvre and the Os were really struggling to contain our runners. Burleigh and Tovey are both playing very well just now but the most improved I think is Fowles, who was always in the right place and whipping out fast, accurate passes, keeping everything moving at tremendous pace in the second half. Well done to the lad on his first try, he looks to be getting a bit of confidence now and so he should. I was watching Glenn Bryce when he came on, he is a very good player too, goes looking for work and makes his mark.

It wasn't a classic and will be a lot harder to pull off against the top teams, but very pleased with the progress so far, well done all.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Whilst in agreement with much of what has been said, I am a wee bit surprised Fowles is getting so much praise. He got the ball away fairly well when he got to the breakdown, but he was slow getting to the breakdown at times, and too many passes were head high. Not a poor performance by any means, but not great either.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Weegie wrote:Whilst in agreement with much of what has been said, I am a wee bit surprised Fowles is getting so much praise. He got the ball away fairly well when he got to the breakdown, but he was slow getting to the breakdown at times, and too many passes were head high. Not a poor performance by any means, but not great either.

Fowles (and SH-C) and Tovey were given an armchair ride from the pack. For my money Sammy is the one with the potential to really make a difference if he can get that sort of ball every week.

George Horne across the road was absolutely brilliant on Friday, that level of performance is what our guys should be aiming for.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Weegie wrote:Whilst in agreement with much of what has been said, I am a wee bit surprised Fowles is getting so much praise. He got the ball away fairly well when he got to the breakdown, but he was slow getting to the breakdown at times, and too many passes were head high. Not a poor performance by any means, but not great either.

Fowles (and SH-C) and Tovey were given an armchair ride from the pack. For my money Sammy is the one with the potential to really make a difference if he can get that sort of ball every week.

George Horne across the road was absolutely brilliant on Friday, that level of performance is what our guys should be aiming for.

Agree re: Fowles, especially first half his passes were head high a la Sam, and I didn't feel he was any quicker to the breakdown, but a solid enough performance.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 am

Edinburgh Ospreys.png
Edinburgh Ospreys.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 7197 times

Clearly at a loose end tonight, but have been irritated by the constant comments in the press / on Sky about the Ospreys being significantly weakened, with the suggestion being that Edinburgh weren't.

So I looked at the Wales and Scotland squad announcements, plus the Ospreys injuries list, and as I thought it's a load of cr@p. Ospreys have 9 away with Wales and none were released, true. However Edinburgh had 6 away with Scotland and who weren't released. In addition, Ospreys had one current international injured or unavailable, whereas Embra have 4.

You can argue that Ospreys are missing more caps (323 v 237 for us), but that partly reflects the stage of the cycle that the respective nations are at, and if all the experienced players were available for both sides, it would be considered a level playing field.

You can also argue that John Hardie's unavailability is self-inflicted, or that injuries shouldn't count, but what it comes down to is that both teams were missing 10 of their most experienced / valuable international players for whatever reason, so this shouldn't be written off as a full-strength Embra beating a weakend Os team. Full credit due to us for this significant win.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:18 am

That was really getting on my wick, NG.it’s one thing when you have biased commentators on your own broadcasts (take a bow Hugh Dan) but the likes of Sky and BT are supposed to be impartial and they are not. Robson is a dreadful commentator who always favours the so called bigger team, Evans is unappolgetically Welsh. I have no problem with the fact big Al didn’t sink to that level.

When we were making all the tackles in the first quarter it was energy sapping and it was going to show later, when we had all the possession and the Os tacle count soared way over the hundred mark it was apparently great defence. Etc etc etc

The bottom line though is five league points for us, none for them, if the other sides continue to think we are rubbish and we keep taking four or five points off them then the keich they come out with won’t bother me in the slightest.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 am

Tichtheid wrote:... then the keich they come out with won’t bother me in the slightest.

We can tell how much it's not bothering you already :)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

bignose wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:... then the keich they come out with won’t bother me in the slightest.

We can tell how much it's not bothering you already :)

As long as the slap remains immense, I won't give a monkey's
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Tichtheid wrote:That was really getting on my wick, NG.it’s one thing when you have biased commentators on your own broadcasts (take a bow Hugh Dan) but the likes of Sky and BT are supposed to be impartial and they are not. Robson is a dreadful commentator who always favours the so called bigger team, Evans is unappolgetically Welsh. I have no problem with the fact big Al didn’t sink to that level.

When we were making all the tackles in the first quarter it was energy sapping and it was going to show later, when we had all the possession and the Os tacle count soared way over the hundred mark it was apparently great defence. Etc etc etc

The bottom line though is five league points for us, none for them, if the other sides continue to think we are rubbish and we keep taking four or five points off them then the keich they come out with won’t bother me in the slightest.

How are they supposed to be impartial?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
How are they supposed to be impartial?

Andrew Cotter manages, so does Eddie Butler and Justin Marshall, even Brian Moore now too, to an extent.

edit - hang on, I've re-read and I'm not sure if I got what you were asking, are you asking why/how BT and Sky are supposed to be impartial?

If so, the reason is better explained by comparing with the likes of Alba, S4C, BBC Norn Irn, they are aimed at a home audience, so although I don't like it I can understand the one eyed commentary/punditry you get from them.
Sky and BT (as well as BBC and ITV) are aimed at a wider audience so I'd expect them to be as impartial as possible.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:56 pm

BT sponsor us, they should not be impartial, they should promote Edinburgh in only a positive light and give all ST holders free superfast broadband
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Sky and BT (as well as BBC and ITV) are aimed at a wider audience so I'd expect them to be as impartial as possible.

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 pm

I see a lot of adverts on tv lately demanding we all watch and support England in the forthcoming games,e.g. England v Argentina, that'll be right.
Pitfitter

Postby djphilp on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Just out of interest does anybody know if Davies was cited for his studs down the back of the calf/trip on Dean late in the second half? Dirty DavePearson :x
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum