Other Pro14 Tonight

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Other Pro14 Tonight

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Glasgow denying leinster an LBP and Scarlets not getting a TBP v Treviso is potentially good for us if we can get a result tomorrow and allow us to close up a little on those above us and keep the pressure on.

Watched Glasgow match entertaining first half, pretty poor second although weather changed, Niko M on fire first half in attack.

Continue to be impressed with the SA ref Stuart Berry a cut above some of the refs we have to endure.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Other Pro14 Tonight

Postby gunneria on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Not quite sure what to make of Glasgow this season. It all seems a bit harum scarum but is getting results whilst the weather is still reasonably good. Not convinced results will continue when the crappy weather kicks in (unless they are hoping for global warming to take hold) combined with their terrible scrum and setpiece disasters.
A first win for Southern Kings would be great tomorrow.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Seems nuts how unbalanced the 2 squads have become, with us having potentially 3 front rows who could compete with Glasgow first choice.

Bhattie, Rae and Turner were poor tonight (although good in the loose). If all of our players were fit I would give them Berghan, Cochrane and Dell. I would want Pyrgos, Horne and Jackson in return though! Seems a fair trade.

Seriously worried for the AIs if we go in with just Marfo and Bhatti at LH, it could get very messy. Fagerson and Nel are hardly on fire either, but cant see GT going for Berghan, just not his type of player at all.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Just seen a tweet from Mark palmer that Ford has picked up a pectoral injury sounds like he is out of AIs
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:59 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Seems nuts how unbalanced the 2 squads have become, with us having potentially 3 front rows who could compete with Glasgow first choice.

Bhattie, Rae and Turner were poor tonight (although good in the loose). If all of our players were fit I would give them Berghan, Cochrane and Dell. I would want Pyrgos, Horne and Jackson in return though! Seems a fair trade.

Seriously worried for the AIs if we go in with just Marfo and Bhatti at LH, it could get very messy. Fagerson and Nel are hardly on fire either, but cant see GT going for Berghan, just not his type of player at all.

I'd give them nothing.

Glasgow did their best to throw that away last night, but Leinster weren't good enough to take advantage.

Results went our way last night. A test today to see if we take advantage.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 am

I only saw the second half, during which Leinster battered them. It's hard to draw conclusions from these games, but Glasgow's squad is clearly a bit thin in the key areas. Teams are working out how to play Glasgow, and I suspect the remainder of the season is going to be a bit tougher for them.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 am

Tuned into the game at 30 minutes, saw Glasgow had 31 already and thought I'd see some rugby. Instead got 50 minutes of awful, brainless play from them that Leinster were too poor and inexperienced to properly punish.

Their pack got battered all game, at the setpiece and in the loose, there was one period where Leinster went from their 22 to over Glasgow's 10m just through one out runs then won a penalty and kicked into the 22. The big concern is that of that pack, Bhatti, Turner, Swinson, Cummings and Harley are all going to be around Scotland squads for the next few years, potentially even the World Cup squad, but they look physically underpowered for European rugby, let alone tests.

The backs had so little to do in what I saw that I haven't got anything to say there. Still don't think Horne looked like a proper 10 though.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 am

gowrie wrote:Tuned into the game at 30 minutes, saw Glasgow had 31 already and thought I'd see some rugby. Instead got 50 minutes of awful, brainless play from them that Leinster were too poor and inexperienced to properly punish.

Their pack got battered all game, at the setpiece and in the loose, there was one period where Leinster went from their 22 to over Glasgow's 10m just through one out runs then won a penalty and kicked into the 22. The big concern is that of that pack, Bhatti, Turner, Swinson, Cummings and Harley are all going to be around Scotland squads for the next few years, potentially even the World Cup squad, but they look physically underpowered for European rugby, let alone tests.

The backs had so little to do in what I saw that I haven't got anything to say there. Still don't think Horne looked like a proper 10 though.

Don't think Swinson and Harley will be as they're nearing the end of their time as pros, and the others will only be near a Scotland 23 when there are injuries. Cummings may well be an exception, but he won't learn how to lock properly behind the current Glasgow front row.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm

biffer wrote:Don't think Swinson and Harley will be as they're nearing the end of their time as pros, and the others will only be near a Scotland 23 when there are injuries. Cummings may well be an exception, but he won't learn how to lock properly behind the current Glasgow front row.

Swinson's 30 and Harley's 27, I'd think Swinson has another 2-3 years at least and Harley 5 or so. And it's hard to dismiss injuries, because of them Bhatti and Turner will almost certainly be in the 23 against New Zealand.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I only saw the second half, during which Leinster battered them. It's hard to draw conclusions from these games, but Glasgow's squad is clearly a bit thin in the key areas. Teams are working out how to play Glasgow, and I suspect the remainder of the season is going to be a bit tougher for them.

Their front row is weak and they were lacking a bit of muscle up front, however between call ups and injuries they are missing a lot of their bigger more experienced guys. They had a few relative youngsters in the pack and off the bench.

If any team has worked Glasgow out and how to play them then it is Leinster yet they struggled to implement their game plan last night. Dominating the scrums and winning penalties, kicking to touch, mauls off line outs, pick and goes and fast line speed targeting 10 and 12 was how they denied the Weegies last time out. They squeeze them, deny them the ball and the space and stop the ball going wide. However most of the other pro14 teams know that as well but just can't do that for 80mins like Leinster. I think the weegies will carry on winning games by having fast mobile teams who play at pace and by scoring lots of points even if they concede more than a few in the process.

I suspect lots of teams have worked out how the ABs play too, however stopping them do it is a completely different matter! There isnt really a secret about how they win games its just that they are just so AlainRolland good at it and do everything at pace.

The Weegies played about 30mins of rugby in the first half last night when Leinster couldn't get near them and couldn't do anything about it. The Weegies scored their tries got the BP and that was just enough. In fact they probably left another couple of tries on the park in that period and could easily have had nearer 50 points. The pace they played at during that spell was incredible and Leinster had no answers, every time the weegies got the ball they looked like scoring, even from their own 22. Yes they struggled as they tired and played into the elements in the 2nd half which didnt help but they defended well enough to win.

I'm also glad to see a couple of young props get game time, they put in a good shift and although they got shunted back in a couple of scrums they did ok despite the ref's dodgy decisions. Its good experience for them and will bring them on. How often have we complained about lack of depth and scots not being given a chance? Bhatti, Rae and Nicol are inexperienced at this level and need game time. Alongside Cummings, Fagerson, Wynne and Smith it is good to see the weegie young guys getting on the pitch and winning against the mighty Leinster, who are claimed to have one of the best academy systems around!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:44 pm

doedin wrote: Bhatti (24, first pro season), Rae (22) and Nicol (20, still academy) are inexperienced at this level and need game time. Alongside Cummings (20) , Fagerson (19, still academy), Wynne (20) and Smith (21)

Doedin that post is almost as positive bout the Weegies as you are usually negative about Edinburgh! :D

But I think you make some excellent points in it, fair play.

I've looked up and added the ages of those young players - how many teams can take the park with so many young forwards and hope to compete? And Edinurgh's own opportunity limited 4th choice Turner.
They do have a load of work to do still to play top level set piece though.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm

gowrie wrote:
biffer wrote:Don't think Swinson and Harley will be as they're nearing the end of their time as pros, and the others will only be near a Scotland 23 when there are injuries. Cummings may well be an exception, but he won't learn how to lock properly behind the current Glasgow front row.

Swinson's 30 and Harley's 27, I'd think Swinson has another 2-3 years at least and Harley 5 or so. And it's hard to dismiss injuries, because of them Bhatti and Turner will almost certainly be in the 23 against New Zealand.

Not at international level imo. Harley has always been a tweener,which is fine for pro level but you can’t get away with it at international level. Once Carmichael and Cummings come through I doubt we’ll see Swinson in many squads.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Ulster down 22-10 to the Kings at HT. Dare we dream?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Not to be, Ulster win 36-43, 5 points in the end. Though the Kings do get their first 2 league points.

Ulster go to 28 points, but it does show that there is still the chance they'll slip up, and there's still a faint chance we can make something of that and sneak into the playoffs.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:57 pm

gowrie wrote:Ulster down 22-10 to the Kings at HT. Dare we dream?

No
Weegie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum