1872 Cup Format

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 Cup Format

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:20 pm

confirmed best of 3 not aggregate
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:confirmed best of 3 not aggregate

Anyone else of the opinion that they only decided that in the last few days, and that no one had even thought about it until fans started hassling them about it?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm

biffer wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:confirmed best of 3 not aggregate

Anyone else of the opinion that they only decided that in the last few days, and that no one had even thought about it until fans started hassling them about it?

Certainly possible that they only decided in the last few days, but people have been hassling about it for a while.

Another possibility is they wanted to save the announcement for this week, so they had something else to post about to get attention on it.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:14 pm

All seems a bit odd, taken a long time to come to what was really the only sensible option.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Yonthing on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:...only sensible option.

Not sure it’s the only sensible option. It would be fairer to keep the 1872 Cup as the Christmas double header under the same rules as previous years and make something different out of the end of season game. But at least we know the criteria we’re against and hopefully we can have it sewn up this year 8)
Yonthing
International

Postby Wottie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:33 pm

I would have preferred to maintain the focus on 1872 over the festive legs. These games are probably 95% league conference points and 5% 1872 Cup, but it does seem slightly unfortunate to play two games and if no clear winner by then, forget about it for 4 months before getting an 1872 decider. Hey-ho! We will just need to do them twice over the next few weeks I suppose.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Fair enough, more than one way to do things.

But, it really doesn't matter, the 1872, for all the players will talk it up is not that important in the grand scheme. Beating Glasgow, for pride and league position comes first the bit of tin is down the list. Nice to have an all that and adds a little interest but I would rather give them the cup and we take the points.

It also acts as a bit of a trial match for some. Kinghorn has the chance to push in front of Jackson, McInally to stay ahead of Brown and Gilcho to get his way back in. That's the personal pride bit.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:38 pm

It’s a marketing tool that will get the rugby tourists along. The sru will hope it’s a game a piece and probably not much else. The boo boys will come along as will we if we like.

Will be interesting to see what happens if we’re the only team that ‘really’ needs the result if Glasgow have their home semi. I wonder what having 2 teams in the CC is worth to the sru although we have the run in from hell
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 pm

GaryIPA wrote:It’s a marketing tool that will get the rugby tourists along. The sru will hope it’s a game a piece and probably not much else. The boo boys will come along as will we if we like.

Will be interesting to see what happens if we’re the only team that ‘really’ needs the result if Glasgow have their home semi. I wonder what having 2 teams in the CC is worth to the sru although we have the run in from hell

We've got Leinster home, Ulster away, Dragons away, Munster home, Connacht home, all during the six nations (Connacht the week after it finishes). We won't be losing many if any backs at that time, and if we get a bit of luck from the injury fairy we could field a very strong pack as well. Those teams will be a lot more affected by the international call ups than we will.

Then Ulster at home, Scarlets home and Glasgow home.

I don't think it's a run in from hell, it's a real opportunity for Edinburgh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:41 pm

We’ll see where we are on w/e 21
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 pm

GaryIPA wrote:We’ll see where we are on w/e 21

For sure, but I just think that if we can't produce a good account of ourselves with that fixture list under those circumstances then we have no business playing in the Champions Cup.

The extra money it brings in to the SRU would be nice though, definitely, plus tv exposure and potential for extra sponsorship as a result, so it's worth really pushing for a good string of results.
We have to play those fixtures at some point in the season, it might as well be next spring as any other time.

Having said that, as things stand we'd be playing off against Connacht for the seventh spot, or we can get there by winning the Challenge Cup

I would wager that a home game against Connacht would be a slightly easier route.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum