Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby doedin on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Crosbie is well worth the contract, given what he has shown so far he will be a beast of a ball carrier in the future and exactly the sort of 6 we have needed for some time now. Him and Bradbury covering the 6 position would be solid for a few years to come. For me CdP offers something different at 8 and him and Mata are good 8s. Watson and Ritchie cover 7 and Barclay can play across the back row. We look strong in the back row.

Hardie has not really been value for money for us and whilst a cracking player we are well covered in the back row. I suspect the money freed up from Hardie not having his contract extended has already been spent or committed. I want CdP to remain, he is just getting back to his form of old.

For me I would use the budget elsewhere. We have already committed money to the 10 position and with Freaun gone we need some cover at centre and another we still look thin in back 3. It doesn't look like Bryce nor Harries have convinced Cockerill so perhaps we should be looking at trying to get the likes of McGuigan to come north, he didn't look out of place during the autumn.

Of the wider squad I would suspect we will see Bryce, Turner (stays at Weegies), Bressler, Hardie, SHC (swap him for Steele at LI?), Tovey, Rasolea, Bryce (off to 7s?) and Harries leaving us.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:29 pm

More re-signing news today...ER and GW really going for it in the 1872 run up this year
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Fife and Johnstone full time from next season
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:08 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Crosbie and Mata both re-sign

Pleased with both of these. Crosbie has done really well given his age.

Mata's time with us has been a bit interrupted but he does have that x-factor about his play. I'm excited to see what he will do with a steady run of games in a Cockerill-motivated, grafting pack.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:10 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Fife and Johnstone full time from next season

Good news, and no surprise. It's been pretty obvious that RC rates them both.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

Good news, and no surprise. It's been pretty obvious that RC rates them both.

Both are for 2 years from next season.

What is not clear is their status for the remainder of this season if they will remain at ER or are likely to be back with the 7s at some point may depend on who ER can release in their places.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:17 pm

There will need to be some sort of deal done, if they don't go back. Which I don't think they will, then I would expect to see Bryce,Brown, Hoyland or Graham spend more time away.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:47 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:There will need to be some sort of deal done, if they don't go back. Which I don't think they will, then I would expect to see Bryce,Brown, Hoyland or Graham spend more time away.

I get the impression that Graham will feature quite a lot over the coming weeks, even if only from the bench.

I don't know what more Hoyland could have done last week, but he still doesn't seem to be impressing Cockerill. Hoyland was excellent in the game over at Scotstoun at the end of last season, too

Fife and Johnstone have earned their contracts, well done them, especially pleased for Dougie to have fought his way back.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Equally Fife and Johnstone might want to back to the 7's squad over the next few months with the carrot of the Commonwealth Games in Australia in April?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Of the back 3 that are OOC (Bryce, Harries and Hoyland) I would think Hoyland is the most likely to be retained and that Fife most likely replaces Harries.

Could see Bryce heading for the 7s (or back West) with Kinghorn, Graham and Van de Walt all able to play 15 not sure he will see much game time at ER.

EDIT: Would agree re Fife fighting his way back. It also perhaps highlights how SteveWalsh things were for the backs under Solly when you look at the journeys of Fife and Visser who were our first choice wingers not that long ago.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:There will need to be some sort of deal done, if they don't go back. Which I don't think they will, then I would expect to see Bryce,Brown, Hoyland or Graham spend more time away.

I get the impression that Graham will feature quite a lot over the coming weeks, even if only from the bench.

I don't know what more Hoyland could have done last week, but he still doesn't seem to be impressing Cockerill. Hoyland was excellent in the game over at Scotstoun at the end of last season, too

Fife and Johnstone have earned their contracts, well done them, especially pleased for Dougie to have fought his way back.

Agreed about Hoyland, but he's still in the mix I'd think. Harries for example isn't getting near the team any more after having had his chances at the start of the season.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Delighted with that, particularly Johnstone. Ive always been impressed by his speed of thought and foot and his eye for a good line, but he's never had the chance at fifteens
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Thought we may have seen some New Year signing news but maybe ER keeping them in the bag for the Challenge Cup QF build up….

Few updates, Turner confirmed at Glasgow and Bresler away to Worcester (and we have added Fife and Johnstone) so our remaining OOC are

P: Bryce, Marfo, Millar-Mills, Sheilds
H: Cochrane, Fenton,
L:
BR: du Preez, Hardie,
SH: Hidalgo-Clyne
FH: Tovey, Weir
C: Burleigh, Dean, Galbraith, Rasolea
B3: Bryce, Harries, Hoyland
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Thought we may have seen some New Year signing news but maybe ER keeping them in the bag for the Challenge Cup QF build up….

Few updates, Turner confirmed at Glasgow and Bresler away to Worcester (and we have added Fife and Johnstone) so our remaining OOC are

L:

Plus Jordan Lay at LH
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Thought we may have seen some New Year signing news but maybe ER keeping them in the bag for the Challenge Cup QF build up….

L:

You'd have to think that Weir and Tovey are off with Van Der Walt and Hickey confirmed. SHC seems to be off and good luck to him.

Bryce X2 and Harries just hasn't worked out so wouldn't think they'll stay.

Props are interesting. Marfo is useful to keep but will want higher wages. Shields has been okay depth and would keep as 4th choice. Millar-Mills not done anything.

Would keep Cochrane and Fenton.

Would keep du Preez but have a feeling he might leave. Hardie is gone - not the place for him anymore and his indiscretions haven't helped. A damn fine player and a good man too. Was our best player his first year here.

Dean is a must keep - progressing well and quite underrated. Burleigh is good. Rasolea was hopeless last year but v useful this and would keep.

Hoyland is the interesting one. Not really happening for him under Cockers, a bit hot and cold. Might he look elsewhere?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum