Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 am

Tichtheid wrote:Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach Richard Cockerill has signed a contract extension which will see him stay at the Guinness PRO14 side until 2021.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/04 ... mmits-2021

Excellent news
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:48 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach Richard Cockerill has signed a contract extension which will see him stay at the Guinness PRO14 side until 2021.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/04 ... mmits-2021

Excellent news

Indeed, he's been a unquestioned success so far.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:54 am

[quote="Tichtheid"]Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach Richard Cockerill has signed a contract extension which will see him stay at the Guinness PRO14 side until 2021.

Didn't think I'd say it when first appointed but endorse this as really excellent news (another two years from current contract I think?). Can't speak highly enough of him in all respects.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Good news, sounds like some other clubs might have been sniffing around - Quinn? He is probably here until his kids finish school?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Excellent news, gives him time to finish the job he's started.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby stef.s on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Mike Blair would be the obvious choice but with his Scotland commitments it doesn't quite work. I'm also of the opinion there's going to be some change at Glasgow soon and he'll get shuffled up.

I'd be quite happy if we could tempt Ben Cairns back from the Chieftains as attack coach
stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Good news all round, he has made an excellent start and hopefully this will help with recruitment and retention in the future.

It is also good news that he feels comfortable with those around him and a sign he feels he will be backed to do the job the way he wants to do it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Brilliant news . Onwards and upwards.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Great news indeed! Big Dick has exceeded all expectations so far. Just need to get an attack coach now cos as far as I'm concerned we haven't got one at the moment!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Mclelland is young a likely to be pretty raw. So it is unlikely that he will be ahead of he likes of Socino or Kinghorn.

Not issue with either of them stepping in if needed.

On Hodge, I would say on the evidence he hasn't taken his chance. However Cockerill will make a decision and he has got most of the big ones right so far. So happy to trust him again. Redpath may be an option, unlikely that the u20s will be a full time job, he could bring in the decent young 9 that we are looking for too!

Redpath lives in Manchester these days and has a full time job in financial services. Whether he'd give that up for an assistant coach role I don't know. It will be very interesting to see if he manages to persuade his son Cameron to play for Scotland U20s this year. By all accounts he very much considers himself English and is one of their best players at age grade level.

As for the attack coach Mike Blair would be the obvious choice. Maybe we should be looking for some outside influence. Cockerill was at his best when coaching with Pat Howard.

Seems he's given up his foray in FX trading if he's taken up the under 20s job. Which you'd imagine is purely coincidental rather than getting his son to play for Scotland. Perhaps if he enjoys his time back coaching the Under20s he'll get the Edinburgh attack job?

Mike Blair would be the obvious choice but with his Scotland commitments it doesn't quite work. I'm also of the opinion there's going to be some change at Glasgow soon and he'll get shuffled up.

U20s surely isn't full time is it? If he has given up the fx job he would definitely have time to join us as attack coach. That would be a helluva coaching group.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 pm

A contract till 2021 is excellent news, if he can attain constant improvement, who knows, he may stay longer? and on showing so far it does seem possible.
Pitfitter

Postby germain on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 pm

I was really sceptic when Cockerill came here one year ago.
But he has done an amazing job. He hasn't put a foot wrong since his arrival. And he is always a pleasant reading so I'm glad he is staying for the next three years.
Next step is the announcement of the attacking coach !
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Pitfitter wrote:A contract till 2021 is excellent news, if he can attain constant improvement, who knows, he may stay longer? and on showing so far it does seem possible.

Constant improvement would mean winning something in two or three years.

I’ll take that :D
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm

macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Seems he's given up his foray in FX trading if he's taken up the under 20s job. Which you'd imagine is purely coincidental rather than getting his son to play for Scotland. Perhaps if he enjoys his time back coaching the Under20s he'll get the Edinburgh attack job?

Mike Blair would be the obvious choice but with his Scotland commitments it doesn't quite work. I'm also of the opinion there's going to be some change at Glasgow soon and he'll get shuffled up.

U20s surely isn't full time is it? If he has given up the fx job he would definitely have time to join us as attack coach. That would be a helluva coaching group.

Eh it's full time but not permenant I'd say. You have 2 weeks of JWRC and presumably a fair amount of time in camps and then all the scouting work etc he'll be doing. I would be surprised if he was the under 20 coach next year.

I don't know, if Redpath wanted to leave coaching and work full time it doesn't make sense he's coaching in an intense situation again. I'm guessing he has the itch. Perhaps his company is giving him a month or so off but I don't see that's it it for them.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 pm

I’d take Henry over Ali Price at the moment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum