Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Presumably Glenn Bryce will sign up with the 7s full time? Can't be a good market for backs not good enough for Edinburgh.

Schoeman is an unbelievable signing, serious pedigree. Dell, Marfo and Sutherland have a serious battle on their hand and that's what you want.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:37 am

No 9 on the cards at present but possibly a backrow

https://theoffsideline.com/pro14-cocker ... ter-clash/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am

It is interesting to see Cockerill saying SH was arguably the no 9 this season, and has said elsewhere they made an offer but they could not agree terms. I wonder how big the gap between the offer and demand was?

So Fowles is dropped because he was jamesmatthew last week. My concern is we see too much of that from him, and Cockerill does not sound as if there is another 9 on the cards. Edinburgh really need the other 9s to step up.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:58 am

Weegie wrote:It is interesting to see Cockerill saying SH was arguably the no 9 this season, and has said elsewhere they made an offer but they could not agree terms. I wonder how big the gap between the offer and demand was?

So Fowles is dropped because he was jamesmatthew last week. My concern is we see too much of that from him, and Cockerill does not sound as if there is another 9 on the cards. Edinburgh really need the other 9s to step up.

Alternatively if he says something along the lines of 'we're desperate for another 9' then that's something any agent knows in negotiations, and will push to add more $$$ to the contract.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 am

It would be a concern going into next season with the 3 9s we have. Shiel may be the second coming but it is huge pressure to put on him. Hopefully he can get some gametime and continue to improve.

The door is open to Kennedy still, he has shown he can be excellent but only in a small number of games. He has to step up now. The good thing for us now is that we are bringing players into a team which has quality around them, one of the few things that Solly said which made sense!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Offside Line reporting Cockerill as saying recruitment pretty much done, unless something comes up that could significantly improve what is already in the squad (at an acceptable price I assume). He suggested that back row could be an area for investment.

We know they've been looking at SH, so maybe they're waiting to get Champions Cup revenue (and higher league placing prize money) before jumping in. I hope so, because going into next season with Shiel for SHC and Fowles / Kennedy doesn't look good enough to me. In Cockers we trust...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 pm

New Gunner wrote:Offside Line reporting Cockerill as saying recruitment pretty much done, unless something comes up that could significantly improve what is already in the squad (at an acceptable price I assume). He suggested that back row could be an area for investment.

We know they've been looking at SH, so maybe they're waiting to get Champions Cup revenue (and higher league placing prize money) before jumping in. I hope so, because going into next season with Shiel for SHC and Fowles / Kennedy doesn't look good enough to me. In Cockers we trust...

I wonder if there's either someone lined up who's waiting for confirmation of Champions Cup rugby, or if they're waiting until that's nailed on as a better carrot to dangle in front of recruits.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:21 pm

biffer wrote:I wonder if there's either someone lined up who's waiting for confirmation of Champions Cup rugby, or if they're waiting until that's nailed on as a better carrot to dangle in front of recruits.

It's possible I suppose. I'd think it's maybe more likely that, as we either can't afford SHC or don't think he's worth the wedge he's looking for, we just don't have a big enough budget to compete for the kind of high-end, game-changing scrummies everyone's hoping for. Henry Pyrgos and Grayson Hart are looking more tempting by the minute!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Weir confirmed to Worcester.

Wonder how many more will follow, possibly Hardie?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43714919
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Joe Simpson rumoured to be on his way from Wasps. I think that would be a great acquisition to bring on the likes of Kennedy and Sheil whilst providing quality during the 6N’s. Dare we hope?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Wottie wrote:Joe Simpson rumoured to be on his way from Wasps. I think that would be a great acquisition to bring on the likes of Kennedy and Sheil whilst providing quality during the 6N’s. Dare we hope?

I believe he is still in contract, and if so I doubt we would by it out.

I have always liked him when I've seen him, but there is clearly a reason he only has a single cap as a sub. think he has the similar strengths and weaknesses as SHC - very quick (quicker than SHC over distance) but service isn't reliable
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:39 pm

joe soap wrote:
Wottie wrote:Joe Simpson rumoured to be on his way from Wasps. I think that would be a great acquisition to bring on the likes of Kennedy and Sheil whilst providing quality during the 6N’s. Dare we hope?

I believe he is still in contract, and if so I doubt we would by it out.

I have always liked him when I've seen him, but there is clearly a reason he only has a single cap as a sub. think he has the similar strengths and weaknesses as SHC - very quick (quicker than SHC over distance) but service isn't reliable

Apparently he would need to be bought out of contract - I can't see the SRU paying someone out of their deal.

Would be better than SHC is. Would be a good signing if possible.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 am

Has Peter Stringer finally hung up his boots yet, maybe a short term contract (6 Months) to help nurture and develop the 9s we already have, would probably be a great help in Young Shiel's development too.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am

Please no! While obviously a good role model in temr sof professionalism, he would be terrible for us. I would rather have Fowles. If we are going down that route, enticing Cusiter out of retirement would make far more sense!

We do need someone though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Matawalu?
adi1314
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum