Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am

Zander FAgerson could well be out until after the November test schedule. We have Scarlets, Dragons and Munster during that period.

Unless Toonie picks D'Arcy Rae as cover for tighthead we could well lose Nel, Bergs and McCallum during that period, leaving only Ceccarelli available for us.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Hmm, bit of an issue for us.

Jon Welsh and Moray Low playing much? Could be a better bet to have with the squad, knowing if we got a couple of injuries it is easy enough to get McCallum if needed.

Darcy Rae is capable of putting in some big games too though, and Adam Nichol has huge potential. There is always Kevin Bryce too....
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Hmm, bit of an issue for us.

Jon Welsh and Moray Low playing much? Could be a better bet to have with the squad, knowing if we got a couple of injuries it is easy enough to get McCallum if needed.

Darcy Rae is capable of putting in some big games too though, and Adam Nichol has huge potential. There is always Kevin Bryce too....

According to itsrugby, which is normally up to date and reliable, neither Low nor Welsh have played this season.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Hmm, the perils of only having 2 pro teams.

Also highlights why stockpiling players is not a good idea. We seem to have managed to do that in the front row but not other areas like half backs.

Given we managed to pull rabbits like Rizzo and Lay out of a hat last year, maybe we can do the same with a TH this year?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 pm

I may be talking out my KelvinDeaker here but did i not hear that Schoeman can play on both sides of the scrum?
STKS
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Who are the academy tightheads?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:15 pm

STKS wrote:I may be talking out my KelvinDeaker here but did i not hear that Schoeman can play on both sides of the scrum?

Looks like he played there for SA U20s so may be an option.

We do have a habit of announcing players can. Play in positions which they really can't! Both Berghan and Dell were announced as both sides, also Hilterbrand as a th.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm

STKS wrote:I may be talking out my KelvinDeaker here but did i not hear that Schoeman can play on both sides of the scrum?

He looks big enough to play the entire front row!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Who are the academy tightheads?

Dan Winning (Boroughmuir) and Duncan Ferguson (Watsonians). Winning's been playing club rugby for 2 or 3 years now. Neither of them have played in the Tennent's Premiership yet this season.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm

disco wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Who are the academy tightheads?

Dan Winning (Boroughmuir) and Duncan Ferguson (Watsonians). Winning's been playing club rugby for 2 or 3 years now. Neither of them have played in the Tennent's Premiership yet this season.

But Glasgow have McLaren and Murphy? This is where the academies don't quite get it right for me.

I'm chuffed we've ended up with Darge and Boyle as well as McLean and Blain but doesn't make sense to concentrate specific positional talent in one academy.

Should be some common sense applied.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Cockers has given an injury update:

- Bennett out for 5/6 months, likely after 6N - AlainRolland
- Fenton has had hip surgery, out for 3 months
- Carmichael hasn't recovered from pre-season head knock yet
- Graham injured, no time given
- Christine has been injured, rather than overlooked, now fit so comes back into the squad
- Some Scotland guys will be rotated for Leinster, others will come in

Think we can assume Rambo will get a rest v Leinster, likely Ford to start with Cherry on the bench? Would also assume Dell, Marfo, McCallum, Berghan will be in the mix. Crosbie mentioned as potentially coming in.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Makes sense now what Farndale was on the bench last week over Graham and Christine.

Is Brown injured too?

Bit of a AlanLewis re Bennet, will take as long as it takes i suppose. I really hope we get to see him firing fully at some point, I dont think we have seen him fully fit yet. I think he is out of contract in the summer too. Still only 25 though, so time on his side.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Ally Miller is full time with the 7s.

Plot twist - official ER twitter account said congrats to Edinburgh's Jamie Farndale but nothing about Miller....
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum