Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Lambie isn't coming to Scotland unless his knee injury is so had Racing will release him. In any case - he'll have just been at the fringe.

Really great interview with Nick Lumley in the Times today. Mata dropped 8 kg last pre season and it showed on the pitch. McCallum 13kg!!

He was diplomatic but in that diplomacy was fairly scathing of the old regime. Also sounds like exactly the time of guy you want Strocker learning from.

I really think we'll be very good this season.

McCallum looks a completely different body shape these days, I’m very excited by the prospect of seeing him develop over the next few years, hopefully into Scotland’s premier tighthead
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Anyone know much about Jack Stanley? Ex Exeter tighthead, been with us over pre season I understand but don’t recall any announcements?
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Lambie isn't coming to Scotland unless his knee injury is so had Racing will release him. In any case - he'll have just been at the fringe.

Really great interview with Nick Lumley in the Times today. Mata dropped 8 kg last pre season and it showed on the pitch. McCallum 13kg!!

He was diplomatic but in that diplomacy was fairly scathing of the old regime. Also sounds like exactly the time of guy you want Strocker learning from.

I really think we'll be very good this season.

The only way he's coming really is if his injury is really bad (i.e. potentially career ending) , Racing pay off his contract and medical costs and he comes to us on a pay per play deal.

Of course it could also be that Dave Rennie has been panicked into getting a ten and is buying him out of his contract for Glasgow.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Has Lambie not got Scottish relatives? could he not maybe have been visiting them? :roll:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Just got a page from http://www.rugbyleaguelover.com through on my Google alerts which suggests McLelland is jacking it and returning to league signing for Leeds Rhinos. :eek:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... ba-future/
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Wottie wrote:Just got a page from http://www.rugbyleaguelover.com through on my Google alerts which suggests McLelland is jacking it and returning to league signing for Leeds Rhinos. :eek:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... ba-future/

That's disappointing. There were some big expectations for him. Homesick, I wonder? He's quite young.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Ach that's a real shame, he was really starting to look the part at the U20s
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Bad news - not many young 10s coming through.

Makes no sense Eastgate is at Yorkshire Carnegie rather than a Scottish pro team when Hastings and Baggott are the only SQ 10s here. Thompson in the academy, Henderson playing 7s. Lancaster and Chamberlain are the under18 10s and both at English clubs! Where's the talent coming from?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Lambie being lined up as replacement for McLelland? :)
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Its the only logical explanation!

Its a real shame though, he was a big part of our succession plan and although this wont be felt too badly now or possibly next season it is the future which is a concern. As mentioned talented 10s don't grow on trees and we cant afford to lose too many.

Interesting after the Fraser situation, that's 2 young players who don't seem to have been enjoying their rugby, is that normal? Too many?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Its the only logical explanation!

Its a real shame though, he was a big part of our succession plan and although this wont be felt too badly now or possibly next season it is the future which is a concern. As mentioned talented 10s don't grow on trees and we cant afford to lose too many.

Interesting after the Fraser situation, that's 2 young players who don't seem to have been enjoying their rugby, is that normal? Too many?

One came from league and is going back - Jamie Lyall on Twitter has it that he's just not enjoying union. Fairly uniquie situation signing at 18 year old from league so I'm not worried.

Guessing Fraser realised he wasn't cut out for pro rugby. Strange but it's such a demanding career with an even more demanding coach so makes sense.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm

He’s still listed on the squad page on the Club’s website. The article said the scoop was back on the 2nd July so may be there is nothing in it and it’s just some amateur Journo getting the wrong end of the stick. Have to wait and see I guess. Real shame if it’s true as he looks to have real promise.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Wottie wrote:He’s still listed on the squad page on the Club’s website. The article said the scoop was back on the 2nd July so may be there is nothing in it and it’s just some amateur Journo getting the wrong end of the stick. Have to wait and see I guess. Real shame if it’s true as he looks to have real promise.

Squad page is missing Fenton. Pyrgos, Shiel and Taylor so I think the official site is in need of a bit of an update! Jamie Lyall is on Twitter now as well backing up McLelland leaving.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 am

disco wrote:
Wottie wrote:He’s still listed on the squad page on the Club’s website. The article said the scoop was back on the 2nd July so may be there is nothing in it and it’s just some amateur Journo getting the wrong end of the stick. Have to wait and see I guess. Real shame if it’s true as he looks to have real promise.

Squad page is missing Fenton. Pyrgos, Shiel and Taylor so I think the official site is in need of a bit of an update! Jamie Lyall is on Twitter now as well backing up McLelland leaving.

Official Twitter account had tweeted this out too. Apparently there was compensation invovled.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 am

Disappointing for Edinburgh, but if the guy isn't enjoying union then it's clearly the right decision for him. All the best to him.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum