Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:04 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Would not be surprised if the SRU agreed to a Bradbury PX

Would be surprised if Cockerill agreed to it, unless there has been another “incident” and he has lost patience, but not heard anything to that effect, If not I can’t see Cockerill agreeing to swap a player he made captain.

I doubt he would be on the tour if there had been another incident and, as he's been turning out for Edinburgh I suspect He and RC have made up. I just think this is paper chat.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Rico wrote:Would be monumentally p*ssed off if the Weegies pinched Bradbury. Really hoping that's a totally baseless rumour.

Appreciate he's not the same kind of backrow as Bradbury but John Hardie seems like he'd be a good signing for the Warriors. Maybe he's just tainted goods now though?

Thing is Glasgow don’t need a Hardie, they need some gnarly DavePearson of ball carrying 8’s / 6’s. They already have Gibbens, Fusaro and Smith in that position (plus Stokes?). adi1314’s shout is a belter. If Maggie is moving maybe the unattached Hamilton is indeed to hook up with his mentor Cockers after all. :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:13 pm

biffer wrote:Charlie Shiel into the sevens squad for this weekend. Could be interesting to watch.

Great opportunity, but coming into the squad for the very last round this year will be difficult.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:23 pm

The Chiel wrote:
biffer wrote:Charlie Shiel into the sevens squad for this weekend. Could be interesting to watch.

Great opportunity, but coming into the squad for the very last round this year will be difficult.

That just feels like a "Yeah, we've messed you around and given you zero game time this season. Do you fancy a trip to Paris?" selection.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 pm

bignose wrote:
The Chiel wrote:

That just feels like a "Yeah, we've messed you around and given you zero game time this season. Do you fancy a trip to Paris?" selection.

Don't think he was messed around, he was 24th man for a while with Edinburgh so Cockers must've decided he wasn't ready.

He should've been with the sevens since the Currie season ended though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

joe soap wrote:signed for 2 years so not just a Barclay short term cover. Might need RWC cover as well which would explain the 2 year deal. Freewill be fewer cheap RWC cover options available next summer.

RWC cover is a possible. There is another factor which may loom larger though: we look to be down from 6 locks to 5 next season, with no sign of Bresler being replaced. Fair enough, you can get away with 5 locks if there is decent cover from the back row in the event of injuries, which there is with Mata and Bradbury. However, with Barclay out for a good chunk of the season, we are effectively one short in the back row as well as one short at lock, so if we get a couple of injuries in these positions, we could be pretty thin for the AIs and 6N. In that light, Nayalo looks a sensible signing, there to provide cover when needed. (Though hopefully Cockers will turn him into much more than that).
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 am

royc wrote:
joe soap wrote:signed for 2 years so not just a Barclay short term cover. Might need RWC cover as well which would explain the 2 year deal. Freewill be fewer cheap RWC cover options available next summer.

RWC cover is a possible. There is another factor which may loom larger though: we look to be down from 6 locks to 5 next season, with no sign of Bresler being replaced. Fair enough, you can get away with 5 locks if there is decent cover from the back row in the event of injuries, which there is with Mata and Bradbury. However, with Barclay out for a good chunk of the season, we are effectively one short in the back row as well as one short at lock, so if we get a couple of injuries in these positions, we could be pretty thin for the AIs and 6N. In that light, Nayalo looks a sensible signing, there to provide cover when needed. (Though hopefully Cockers will turn him into much more than that).

You'd expect Hunter-Hill to see action and then Bain was also in and around the squad during the Munster playoff so he might be given a one year academy grad prove it deal.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm

I see Price was injured at the weekend. If it is long term (I hope it is not) it'll make him a shoo in the come along the M8.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Weegie wrote:I see Price was injured at the weekend. If it is long term (I hope it is not) it'll make him a shoo in the come along the M8.

Wonder if there will be a 9 unveiled at tonight's season launch event?
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Per Offside Line article a 9 and perhaps another back row still to be added

https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-pl ... il-lennon/

“I’ll continue to discuss with my bosses around if that’s a possibility. If the right player is available and we can make it work financially we’ll go into the market-place and try and improve that position. If not, we’ve got Fowles and Kennedy, and young Charlie Shiel who’s gone on tour, so we crack on,” he said.

“We’re always looking to find good players. We haven’t replaced Sam Hidalgo-Clyne yet which we’re still looking to do, and we’ll always try to strengthen our squad if the players are available and the money is available. I’ll always be going to the Board if the right player comes up that I think will be good for the team.”

One new signing for Edinburgh which is already in the bag for Edinburgh is back-rower Senitiki Nayalo, who was unveiled last week as a new recruit from London Irish on a two-year contract – but Cockerill warned that the Fijian should not be regarded as direct stand-in for the injured John Barclay.

“He’s more of a project player – a very big, raw Fijian who adds a bit of ballast to our ball carry. But we’ll probably go into the market-place [again] to see what’s out there and see if we can bolster that back-row. With Cornell Du Preez and John Hardie leaving who played a lot for us last year, we might need that little bit of cover, so we’ll see what’s out there.”

Also apparently John Hardie is back in town had back surgery at Spire Murrayfield this week, still an SRU employee?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Injury occurred while playing for us so will be our medical tab I would think.

Surprised he hasn't got a club, same with Luke Hamilton. I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up through west.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Injury occurred while playing for us so will be our medical tab I would think.

Surprised he hasn't got a club, same with Luke Hamilton. I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up through west.

I'd be gutted to lose Hardie to Glasgow, he'd go well in the Premiership, I think.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I'd be gutted to lose Hardie to Glasgow, he'd go well in the Premiership, I think.

I don't think Hardie (or even Hamilton to a lesser extent) are the back rowers that Glasgow need just now. They already have a number of smaller lighter options with the like of Gibbens, Fusaro and Smith. They need players like Bradbury or Matta to address the balance in their back row resources.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I agree Wottie, I'm just saying I don't want to lose good players to direct competitors.

George Horne is welcome here, though. :D
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I agree Wottie, I'm just saying I don't want to lose good players to direct competitors.

George Horne is welcome here, though. :D

Hornes a bombscare not what we need at the moment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum