Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Yes, easier to blame the bogeyman (Johnson) than understand economics.

Funny all the good signings were the brilliance of Townsend and Rennie but the duds were Johnson interfering!

If they get a decent 10 out of this they will forget about it I'm sure.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:True.

It also doesn't make sense to leave Glasgow with the potential to lose all 3 scrum half's for internationals. I would expect them to bring in a NSQ player to cover.

The reality is the greeting has to do with the fact one may come here (and the underlying terms as set down by the sru). I doubt there would be an issue if one was going elsewhere. 4 international scrum halves us excessive unless of course it's your team

You could equally have said that about the five international loose heads in our squad this year.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 08, 2018 5:34 pm

biffer wrote:You could equally have said that about the five international loose heads in our squad this year.

Indeed, right up until the time they all got crocked! The difference of course being that out of Rizzo, Lay, Dell, Dickinson, Sutherland, Marfo and McCallum (both sides). Only 2 of the LH's used this season were fit and Scottish Internationals at the start of the season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:You could equally have said that about the five international loose heads in our squad this year.

Indeed, right up until the time they all got crocked! The difference of course being that out of Rizzo, Lay, Dell, Dickinson, Sutherland, Marfo and McCallum (both sides). Only 2 of the LH's used this season were fit and Scottish Internationals at the start of the season.

And anyone can play SH
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue May 08, 2018 6:46 pm

I think most rugby followers in Scotland realise that when there is a conflict between what is best for a pro team and what is best for the Scotland team, the latter trumps the former. The SRU funds the pro teams, and whilst they want the pro teams to do well, the ultimate purpose of it all is to produce the best Scotland team possible. Anyone who believes it should be otherwise is kidding themselves, and if one of their 3 scrum halves moves east it should surprise no one.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I think most rugby followers in Scotland realise that when there is a conflict between what is best for a pro team and what is best for the Scotland team, the latter trumps the former. The SRU funds the pro teams, and whilst they want the pro teams to do well, the ultimate purpose of it all is to produce the best Scotland team possible. Anyone who believes it should be otherwise is kidding themselves, and if one of their 3 scrum halves moves east it should surprise no one.

Suspect there are zillions of Weegies kidding themselves over on the Glasgow Board CC!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Wottie wrote:

Rizzo and Lay were late additions so a bit different. But if we had to let one of the LHs go in order to bring in the likes of Hickey or a new scrum half then I hope I could just about figure out why. It is not dissimilar to us losing Du Preez and Hardie, yes we will be weaker without them but we need to balance things up and use cheaper youngsters which allows us to bring in Socino and Scott for example. We all have budgets and you cant just keep all the players you want, tough decisions need to be made.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Tue May 08, 2018 8:27 pm

New Gunner wrote:Offside Line interview with Cockers:

https://t.co/OkKVRuUpz9

Talking to a NZ scrum half to replace SHC - could it be SQ Finlay Christie? Would be interesting.

More good insight from Cockerill in the article - difficult to criticise much that he's done or said so far.

40 players quote link above
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:35 pm

GW forum saying Friday for scrum-half transfer to ER.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm

adi1314 wrote:GW forum saying Friday for scrum-half transfer to ER.

Gw forum in meltdown
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 09, 2018 5:54 pm

To be fair was it not Biffer that said that, if so at least 70% chance he is fishing and got himself a big haul.

If anyone wants to go over there and suggest that due to us losing CDP we are bringing Matt Fagerson too I think it wouldn't be a good social experiment!

I wa pstoing to make it about Hogg but just to obvious then.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Wed May 09, 2018 5:59 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

Gw forum in meltdown

Let's start a rumour that Fowles is going the other way in exchange. Light the fuse and walk away...!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 09, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't think I could even type that without laughing to much!

I have made a decent suggestion though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed May 09, 2018 6:22 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:To be fair was it not Biffer that said that, if so at least 70% chance he is fishing and got himself a big haul.

If anyone wants to go over there and suggest that due to us losing CDP we are bringing Matt Fagerson too I think it wouldn't be a good social experiment!

I wa pstoing to make it about Hogg but just to obvious then.

:D you know me so well.....
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

Gw forum in meltdown

What's the Glasgow forum called?
macdone
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum