Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Yeah, I know he's quality. Just pointing out that he's not a cure all. I'm always in favour of going on the way rather than going back to something we had before.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:23 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Being fussy, the use of the full stop would infer a new point being made. So therefore Laidlaw...

a. Would be great for us in games like last week
b. He's great at closing out big games

But you crack on with your inane comments.

on the ball as never.
Of course Laidlaw would be an upgrade on the current 9s. Still not a player for chasing games.

I notice you managed to deflect from answering the earlier question - in what way would a fit and available Stringer be bad for Edinburgh?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:26 pm

biffer wrote:Has to be pointed out that he ran the whole show when we were pish.

careful now, you'll be pointing out in a minute how well Gloucester went when he was there, and how well Clermont are going after Parra got injured.............
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Tichtheid wrote:. He runs the whole show,

is that (always) a good thing? Or does it prevent other leaders or decision makers evolving? Does it leave the team rudderless if he doesn't play? Not sure on this one, but its fair to say after he left Edinburgh lacked leaders big time for quite a while (other factors I know)
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm

I would take Pyrgos after watching him play tonight for the Weegies.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:29 pm

He is playing well. Nice supporting line for his try.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 am

Pyrgos & Jackson?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 am

GaryIPA wrote:Pyrgos & Jackson?

Good call.it does show the problem at 9 & 10 when Glasgow 3rd & 4th choices, would be our 1st & 2nd choices.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:08 pm

New Gunner wrote:Did anyone watch the half time Alba piece with Roddy Grant? There were a couple of guys training with long dreadlocks who I didn't recognise - possibly on trial?

Watching the Melrose Sevens - I think this might be the Selkirk winger Clinton Wagman.

South African guy on a McPhail style deal - https://www.ftasport.com/sport-news/two ... ish-dream/
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, who is going to win the try-scoring stakes this season? If my sums are right, at the moment it's neck-and-neck:

SHC 9
Kinghorn 9
van der Merwe 9
Dean 6
Fife 6
Rasolea 6

The contest for points is surely for second place, as SHC is a good way ahead, he's really added a lot to the scoreboard this season with his place kicks and tries:

SHC 135
Weir 82
Kinghorn 69
Tovey 55
van der Walt 45
van der Merwe 45
royc
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 am

So our squad is pretty settled for next year.
Maybe a 9 to come or a back-row if opportunity arise. 9 is a weak spot at the moment but that's how it is. We'll have to cope with that situation. Keep faith in Kennedy !

Interesting to note that Cokerill spoke of Kinghorn and Socino as possible cover at 10. He mentioned Baggott but not a word on McLelland.

Now, the last unknown is Hodge's contract. Stop or again ? You know my opinion on the topic.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Mclelland is young a likely to be pretty raw. So it is unlikely that he will be ahead of he likes of Socino or Kinghorn.

Not issue with either of them stepping in if needed.

On Hodge, I would say on the evidence he hasn't taken his chance. However Cockerill will make a decision and he has got most of the big ones right so far. So happy to trust him again. Redpath may be an option, unlikely that the u20s will be a full time job, he could bring in the decent young 9 that we are looking for too!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Mclelland is young a likely to be pretty raw. So it is unlikely that he will be ahead of he likes of Socino or Kinghorn.

On Hodge, I would say on the evidence he hasn't taken his chance. However Cockerill will make a decision and he has got most of the big ones right so far. So happy to trust him again. Redpath may be an option, unlikely that the u20s will be a full time job, he could bring in the decent young 9 that we are looking for too!

Redpath lives in Manchester these days and has a full time job in financial services. Whether he'd give that up for an assistant coach role I don't know. It will be very interesting to see if he manages to persuade his son Cameron to play for Scotland U20s this year. By all accounts he very much considers himself English and is one of their best players at age grade level.

As for the attack coach Mike Blair would be the obvious choice. Maybe we should be looking for some outside influence. Cockerill was at his best when coaching with Pat Howard.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am

Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach Richard Cockerill has signed a contract extension which will see him stay at the Guinness PRO14 side until 2021.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/04 ... mmits-2021
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 am

macdone wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Mclelland is young a likely to be pretty raw. So it is unlikely that he will be ahead of he likes of Socino or Kinghorn.

Redpath lives in Manchester these days and has a full time job in financial services. Whether he'd give that up for an assistant coach role I don't know. It will be very interesting to see if he manages to persuade his son Cameron to play for Scotland U20s this year. By all accounts he very much considers himself English and is one of their best players at age grade level.

As for the attack coach Mike Blair would be the obvious choice. Maybe we should be looking for some outside influence. Cockerill was at his best when coaching with Pat Howard.

Seems he's given up his foray in FX trading if he's taken up the under 20s job. Which you'd imagine is purely coincidental rather than getting his son to play for Scotland. Perhaps if he enjoys his time back coaching the Under20s he'll get the Edinburgh attack job?

Mike Blair would be the obvious choice but with his Scotland commitments it doesn't quite work. I'm also of the opinion there's going to be some change at Glasgow soon and he'll get shuffled up.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum