Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat May 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Ok I can explain it but f you like, there was one wind up post about Horne/Price signingom Frday, the rest were joking references to that and how absurd it could get.

The rest from what I can see, including the story about Price or Pyrgos coming to Edinburgh are in good faith.

Of course there are differences in opinion on things like why Weir and Bennet moved etc and banter about us playing in a library and being posh,them being beds etc. Bear in mind forums are about opinions which some may disagree with, doesnt mean they are a wind up.

If it bothers you then I sincerely apologies for any offence you have taken and promise to try harder to post factually in the future.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm

It doesn't offend me. I just think it's sad. And it makes the discussions pretty much a waste of everybody's time.
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 12, 2018 5:21 pm

The Thistle tweeted we were using our Champions Cup cash on a foreign 9 but rumours about Ali Price won't go away...

I'd prefer a new 9 and Price stays with Glasgow.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Last edited by GaryIPA on Sat May 12, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:The Thistle tweeted we were using our Champions Cup cash on a foreign 9 but rumours about Ali Price won't go away...

The only thing wrong with this is you're denying a SQ 9 regular game time

Still think it'll be Henry though
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat May 12, 2018 6:02 pm

I don't think there would be much wrong with bringing in 2 new scrum halfs, we are desperately short of quality.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 12, 2018 6:14 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I don't think there would be much wrong with bringing in 2 new scrum halfs, we are desperately short of quality.

Fair comment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:The Thistle tweeted we were using our Champions Cup cash on a foreign 9 but rumours about Ali Price won't go away...

Not necessarily - the loosehead prop/backrow situation here and even the hooker situation there shows you can have a stable of SQs but with injuries and internationals there's plenty game time to share around.

I think it's shaked out nicely for them: Horne jnr is on fire, Pyrgos is playing well and Price has had a shaky season but is in the Scotland 23.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I don't think there would be much wrong with bringing in 2 new scrum halfs, we are desperately short of quality.

I'm not sure. Fowles can play well - see his sub appearance at Munster. He did have some legitimately good games this season, it's just he had some legitimate stinkers. I think he's a good back up.

They also seem to highly rate Shiel - Cockers only name checks guys he does like and have all gone on to play well if you look at his earlier interviews.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

Laidlaw and SHC both playing outwith Scotland. SQ 9s at Edinburgh would still be getting around 50% of the game time in all likelihood. Don't think it's a massive issue if you're talking about someone who genuinely improves the team.

Key for me for progression for both Edinburgh and Scotland would be moving Charlie Shiel up to 3rd in the rotation. Pick whichever one of Fowles or Kennedy does a better job (both adequate for PRO 14 / cover if the rest of the team is performing) with the other providing injury cover only so Shiel gets some decent minutes.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Sun May 13, 2018 1:30 pm

i think there is a chance to improve the squad bringing in one of glasgow 9s, rather than stay as we are, altho shc form at end and now leaving weakens us at 9. could bring in a non gw 9 as well. taking a gw 9 is probably doing them and sru a favor.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Vellacott or Christie would be the ideal scenario but it doesn't sound like either are open to that at the moment.

Agree Shiel coming through wou she welcome. Is Hugh Fraser even playing amateur rugby at the moment?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun May 13, 2018 5:32 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is Hugh Fraser even playing amateur rugby at the moment?

No he isn’t.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 14, 2018 10:19 am

Apparently SA have totally scrapped the overseas policy meaning any SA national overseas can be selected.

Rassie will keep an eye on the Pro14 for the Munster connection. Would you call up DvdM?

He is perhaps a smidge raw for internationals but it's the NFL planet theory - there are only so many people alive who are as big and quick as him. He could become one of the best wingers in the world. He's close enough to best winger in the Pro14 already - a bit behind Stockdale, Earls and Steff Evans. But he's someone I wouldn't want to lose if I was SA coach.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby pjduncan on Mon May 14, 2018 11:43 am

Wottie wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Is Hugh Fraser even playing amateur rugby at the moment?

No he isn’t.

Hugh Fraser was playing for Merchiston at the Leith 7s tournament last month. Not sure if this was a one off. Real shame he decided to step back from pro rugby.
pjduncan
One cap wonder

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum