Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Weegie on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:55 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Don't forget Duncy...

I think the main issue they quite rightly have is that the players they have had form us have been passionate about Glasgow, hated everything Edinburgh and couldn't wait to get to the panacea of Sctostoun to further their stunted careers, under the expert and inspired tutelage of Toony and Rennie who had the foresight to spot their potential

Whereas we use our Mossad trained snatch quad to rip them form the bosom of their beloved Glasgow. Every one we have taken has left in tears and would rather sit in the Scotstoun stand than play for Edinburgh but have been forced to against their will by the evil Scott Johnson. Really is it modern slavery and something should be done about it.

Oooops, I forgot Duncy, very remiss of me.

But at least one poster took my post in the spirit it was intended.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 am

joe soap wrote:
Weegie wrote:So Edinburgh gave Glasgow Kellock, Jones, Turner, and Allan (do we count Cross?)

We've had back the other way Bennett, Bryce x 2, and Pyrgos.

Looks like Glasgow have had the better deal so far.

Kellock was more than a decade ago, it was wrong then and its wrong now. Enjoy, and enjoy when Edinburgh get screwed by this sort of nonsense. Because it WILL happen. As long as the SRU decide who plays where and the players teams have little to no say except to leave Scotland and risk international exile. And yes that has happened as well

Out of interest who was that?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 am

biffer wrote:I understand their concern as well, but I object to their contention that all of the gems, big signings and development were down to Townsend but now that’s not happening it’s down to the SRU rather than their coaching team.

I said the jury is out on Rennie as a coach and it's fairly obvious Humphries is no good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:47 am

biffer wrote:No. Its got a gif of a dog being hit in the face by a Frisbee. Implies they're being thrown a bone.

Not so much...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Hmmm...did Glasgow need another international scrum-half? At least available in international windows so maybe a good signing on reflection...
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:25 pm

zt1903 wrote:
macdone wrote:Good news. Squad looks pretty complete. 1st XV right now imo :

15. Kinghorn 14. Fife 13. Scott 12. Socino 11. Van der Merwe 10. Hickey 9. Pyrgos

1. Schoeman 2. Rambo 3. Berghan 4. Gilco 5. Carmichael 6. Bradbury 7. Watson 8. Mata

Not withstanding your crappy formatting that is just not right, you've got totally carried away with the new signings. Our squad has more depth than that and many of those signings do not just walk straight into the first XV.

Toolis and Gilchrist is our first choice Lock pairing with McKenzie being a regular starter and helping them manage their game time. Carmichael has great potential but is beind those three for now and may well get more game time at 6.

Matt Scott should be our first choice 12 with Bennett at 13. Socino is there to cover the international window and needs to earn his place ahead of Dean and Johnstone too.

Dell is our first choice Loosehead unless Dickinson is fit again. Again Schoeman needs to earn his place. Likewise Hickey needs prove that he should displace van der Walt.

If everyone is fit it’ll be.

Dickinson - McInally - Berghan
Gilchrist - Toolis
Barclay (c) - Mata - Watson

Pyrgos - van der Walt
Van der Merwe - Scott - Bennett - Fife
Kinghorn

Backup XV

Dell - Ford - Nel
McKenzie - Carmichael
Bradbury - Crosbie - Ritchie

Kennedy - Hickey
Hoyland - Dean - Johnstone - Brown
Graham

Without SHC we need a 80%+ goalkicker which gives Hickey a massive advantage over VdW straight away without looking at the rest of his game. As for Schoeman, he's worth getting excited about. I'm pretty sure he's been signed as a first choice player but time will tell.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Frisbee for GW is a good bit of business. Very good player but also available full time. Rennie has a record of managing flawed characters too. Any weegie still complaining about HP moving has lost the plot.

Never seen him play 10, is he good there?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Think Henry P is a very good signing for us, his playing style and leadership should more than make up for the loss of Sammy.

Updated picture-book version of squad attached. Cockerill and Johnson have assembled a pretty impressive squad without splashing out too much on established stars. Player order on chart is largely on seniority, not going to guess where Ceccarelli, Schoeman, Hamilton etc fit in the pecking order or who will be playing which back row position.

47 so far, so Joe Soap can say told you so nincompoops :roll: But I guess a decision on Dickinson is maybe pending, we may lose some to the 7s squad and wouldn't be surprised if one or two are loaned out.
Attachments
ER Squad 2018-19 at 7 July.png
ER Squad 2018-19 at 7 July.png (84.7 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Last edited by royc on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Far better balance to the squad this year, before it was all grunt and no guile.

Full back is the obvious weakness, although Fife and Brown play there that is a long drop off Kinghorn. Does VDW play there too or did I dream that?

I would imagine we can pull a super 6 player in to cover 2nd row if we have a crisis, it is the one area where we look a bit light. Albeit LH has looked like a position of strength and we were scrabbling a bit last season for cover, just cant have a big enough squad to cover that level of long term injury in a single position though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:52 pm

I have a very vague recollection of VdW moving to 15 late in a game due to injuries, but I could be very wrong.

Graham could still come through at 15.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:01 pm

VDW was a 10/15 in SA.

Addition of Pyrgos pretty much completes a good spine of leadership through the team, with McInally, Gilchrist, Barclay, Pyrgos, Scott and Bennett.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:VDW was a 10/15 in SA.

Addition of Pyrgos pretty much completes a good spine of leadership through the team, with McInally, Gilchrist, Barclay, Pyrgos, Scott and Bennett.

Not forgetting McKenzie of course.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:48 pm

When Cockers said the squad would be 'around 40', I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was talking about the senior squad and excluding 1st year academy promotions. The latter will mainly be doing S&C in their first season, as the 1st year boys did this season, and are unlikely to get much game time unless we have a big run of injuries or they are physically ready. I think Luke Crosbie was the only one last season to get a few starts, so it would be reasonable for the HC to park them on one side when forecasting the squad size.

This theory is sort of borne out by Cockers saying we only need two 10s, which we all spluttered about at the time. Well, there are two 10s viz VdW and Hickey, as he said - but we have two first-year academy promotions, Baggott and McLelland as well. So everything he said is right and accurate, which is very Cockers, if you leave the academy newbies out of the calculation.
Last edited by royc on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

V d W was definitely described as a 10 and 15 when he joined, so reckon he could be cover at full back, if of course Hickey is hitting his straps at 10.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Would be very handy if Graham could fill in at 15 this year but you do worry he's too small.

Might be the guy to build the 7s team around.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum