Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Good news, he'll certainly add something to our back division. Wonder if that means Burleigh is off, though it could be he replaces Rasolea.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Good news, he'll certainly add something to our back division. Wonder if that means Burleigh is off, though it could be he replaces Rasolea.

I'd rather keep Burleigh as he can cover 10 and is a classy footballer.

Delighted that Scott has rejoined! On paper we have a really exciting team.

Also re Hamilton I think he's better suited at Glasgow. We have a lot of good SQ backrows whereas they don't really. Makes a lot more sense.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Great signing and he will do well for us. I think he will revel playing behind a strong pack and with Bennet next to him and the likes of Kinghorn, VdM etc outside. I think Cockerill and the game plan he is developing will get the best out of Scott and he will show the promise that was slowly strangled out of him by Solomons et al when he was last here. Good news!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Good news, he'll certainly add something to our back division. Wonder if that means Burleigh is off, though it could be he replaces Rasolea.

I'd rather keep Burleigh as he can cover 10 and is a classy footballer.

Delighted that Scott has rejoined! On paper we have a really exciting team.

Also re Hamilton I think he's better suited at Glasgow. We have a lot of good SQ backrows whereas they don't really. Makes a lot more sense.

Great news - he's averaged more than a try per two games in his two seasons at Glaws, and is currently 4 from 4. He's had his injury problems there to be fair, but has still played 33 games over two seasons, which isn't awful especially when you consider he sometimes wasn't selected although fit.

Don't think this means Burleigh is away, Rasolea probably will be but Scott is replacing Robbie Freuan from the 2017/18 roster (and pay grade). Scott replaces Freuan, Rasolea leaves would mean we were still cutting a centre from last season.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm

New Gunner wrote:

Don't think this means Burleigh is away, Rasolea probably will be but Scott is replacing Robbie Freuan from the 2017/18 roster (and pay grade). Scott replaces Freuan, Rasolea leaves would mean we were still cutting a centre from last season.

Not sure about that one.

You need two outside centres minimum. We have Bennett and Johnstone signed up for 2018/19.

You also need two inside centres minimum. We have Scott and Dean signed up for 2018/19. (Yes yes, Scott can play 13 if required, as cam Dean, but I'd think both has been signed primarily as 12s, otherwise we'd have a lopsided centre pairing, with lots of 13s but possibly only the one dedicated 12).

This season, we have a third player in each position, Rasolea and Galbraith respectively. Suspect, though I may be quite wrong, that next season this might be cut to one player covering both positions. In which case Rasolea, or some equally adaptable inside/outside centre, could fit the bill.

Can't see Burleigh staying if Scott is coming in, doubt the budget would stretch to both. I'd also think that Robbie Fruean was affordable as a 'medical replacement,' coming in for Bennett and covered by the SRU's medical insurance, rather than the club splashing the cash on another star outside centre.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am

royc wrote:
Not sure about that one.

You need two outside centres minimum. We have Bennett and Johnstone signed up for 2018/19.

You also need two inside centres minimum. We have Scott and Dean signed up for 2018/19. (Yes yes, Scott can play 13 if required, as cam Dean, but I'd think both has been signed primarily as 12s, otherwise we'd have a lopsided centre pairing, with lots of 13s but possibly only the one dedicated 12).

This season, we have a third player in each position, Rasolea and Galbraith respectively. Suspect, though I may be quite wrong, that next season this might be cut to one player covering both positions. In which case Rasolea, or some equally adaptable inside/outside centre, could fit the bill.

Can't see Burleigh staying if Scott is coming in, doubt the budget would stretch to both. I'd also think that Robbie Fruean was affordable as a 'medical replacement,' coming in for Bennett and covered by the SRU's medical insurance, rather than the club splashing the cash on another star outside centre.

Good points - I'd also forgotten about Johnstone!

When Freuan signed, Bennett was expected to be out until Nov / early Dec, so only 3 playing months of RF's 2 year contract would be 'covered' by Bennett's absence, so not sure that argument stacks up. Not to mention the hefty premium hike that Freuan probably brought to the same insurance policy. Would still maintain that budget-wise Scott replaces Freuan. On that basis would argue Burleigh could be kept - and should be.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 am

New Gunner wrote:
royc wrote:
Not sure about that one.

Good points - I'd also forgotten about Johnstone!

When Freuan signed, Bennett was expected to be out until Nov / early Dec, so only 3 playing months of RF's 2 year contract would be 'covered' by Bennett's absence, so not sure that argument stacks up. Not to mention the hefty premium hike that Freuan probably brought to the same insurance policy. Would still maintain that budget-wise Scott replaces Freuan. On that basis would argue Burleigh could be kept - and should be.

VdW has played 12 before and Fife can play 13. Burleigh and Kinghorn can cover 10 and there's McLelland too. That should allow us to spend on a top quality 9 that would really improve us.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am

I think much will depend on whether Bryce is retained as he gives cover across the back three and at outside centre. He hasn't measured up to the expectation and was playing really well in his last season at Glasgow. He is non the less a valuable player in a squad due to his versatility and availability during AI's and 6N's.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Wottie wrote:I think much will depend on whether Bryce is retained as he gives cover across the back three and at outside centre. He hasn't measured up to the expectation and was playing really well in his last season at Glasgow. He is non the less a valuable player in a squad due to his versatility and availability during AI's and 6N's.

Bryce hasn't had that many opportunities since arriving at Edinburgh, mainly coming on off the bench. I find that surprising tbh, I like him as a player, he is quick and alert and always looks for work, is skilful with ball in hand, can run through a broken field and could easily play O/Centre, FB or wing. He's also quite a big lad, next to some of our back three, which gives useful options.

Very much hope that we can hang onto him. Even moreso that he gets a couple of starts to show what he can do as we come into the last quarter of the league.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 am

Three further signings expected to be announced at some point.

Bennett does not look to be serious injury Ritchie expected back for connacht match

https://theoffsideline.com/pro14-edinbu ... king-luck/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am

royc wrote:
New Gunner wrote:

Not sure about that one.

I suppose it will depend on budget requirements (and Burleigh as a project player is now captured by Scotland which seems to factor into players being let go) but Burleigh is basically our only option as a distributing centre.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:20 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Three further signings expected to be announced at some point.

Bennett does not look to be serious injury Ritchie expected back for connacht match

https://theoffsideline.com/pro14-edinbu ... king-luck/

Good news on Ritchie there as well, not as bad as feared.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 am

The Rugby Paper reporting that Edinburgh has won the race to sign Blue Bulls prop Pierre Schoeman: http://www.sarugby.co.za/playerprofile. ... lview=true

According to the Springboks site he plays prop and Hooker. Surprised we're strengthening there, wonder if this means Dicko not returning, or Marfo away (think the guy is a loosehead...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am

New Gunner wrote:The Rugby Paper reporting that Edinburgh has won the race to sign Blue Bulls prop Pierre Schoeman: http://www.sarugby.co.za/playerprofile. ... lview=true

According to the Springboks site he plays prop and Hooker. Surprised we're strengthening there, wonder if this means Dicko not returning, or Marfo away (think the guy is a loosehead...

It'll be handy to have a front row player who doesn't get called up for Scotland.

It would make sense for Marfo to go to Glasgow.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

robdinsdale wrote:
New Gunner wrote:The Rugby Paper reporting that Edinburgh has won the race to sign Blue Bulls prop Pierre Schoeman: http://www.sarugby.co.za/playerprofile. ... lview=true

It'll be handy to have a front row player who doesn't get called up for Scotland.

It would make sense for Marfo to go to Glasgow.

Er no
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum