Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 pm

I think Hamilton from what I have seen is a decent carrier too. Typical premiership 7 in that he is more of a 6/8!

Hardie would make most teams better, I’m a huge fan of his, he brings so much linesoeed. Gibbons is good but he is more of a 6.5 and Hardie is better I think.

Last year Glasgow struggled with blend in the back row, no real fetcher and no bosher. All good players just too much the same for me.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I agree Wottie, I'm just saying I don't want to lose good players to direct competitors.

George Horne is welcome here, though. :D

Hornes a bombscare not what we need at the moment

Disagree with this, Horne is hugely exciting and exactly why you watch rugby. Had a better year than SHC who was our best scrum half.

GHorne needs a big year - recent Scottish 9s have had a habit of a great year followed by a shocker.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I agree Wottie, I'm just saying I don't want to lose good players to direct competitors.

George Horne is welcome here, though. :D

Disagree with this, Horne is hugely exciting and exactly why you watch rugby. Had a better year than SHC who was our best scrum half.

GHorne needs a big year - recent Scottish 9s have had a habit of a great year followed by a shocker.

Aye 7s
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:25 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Aye 7s

He was Glasgow's best player this year as well...

Wouldn't mind Pyrgos, would like Horne, don't want Price.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think Hamilton from what I have seen is a decent carrier too. Typical premiership 7 in that he is more of a 6/8!

Hardie would make most teams better, I’m a huge fan of his, he brings so much linesoeed. Gibbons is good but he is more of a 6.5 and Hardie is better I think.

Last year Glasgow struggled with blend in the back row, no real fetcher and no bosher. All good players just too much the same for me.

For me Gibbins is more Watson than Hardie. Hardie is a great player and ferocious at the contact but he doesn't pilfer and he doesn't run those support linee so I'd say he's more the 6.5.

I feel we might see Price come east, Bradbury go west and we get Hamilton. Hope not but seems like a SRU trade.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

I would be reasonably happy with that. Don’t want to lose Bradbury but if it allows us to bring in. 9 and we get a quality replacement then it is not a bad trade off.

I just hope Price isn’t into a SHC style slump. He has lost his mojo big time and going backwards. He is tryouts my too hard and just getting t wrong at the moment.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:15 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I would be reasonably happy with that. Don’t want to lose Bradbury but if it allows us to bring in. 9 and we get a quality replacement then it is not a bad trade off.

I just hope Price isn’t into a SHC style slump. He has lost his mojo big time and going backwards. He is tryouts my too hard and just getting t wrong at the moment.

Not having it. Not going to get rid of Bradbury to bring in a flaky nine.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am

're my earlier comments I thought Horne G was quite good this morning
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:50 am

GaryIPA wrote:'re my earlier comments I thought Horne G was quite good this morning

He was. Agree with Biffer though, he's not nearly far enough ahead of what we have to justify losing Maggie if that was the deal.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/luke-ham ... pro14-side

Luke Hamilton signed apparently.

Didn't have a good game Vs the USA but Cockers rates him. Too many backrows now? I liked Thomas Gordon for Currie though he'd get a call up.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/luke-hamilton-signs-pro14-side

Didn't have a good game Vs the USA but Cockers rates him. Too many backrows now? I liked Thomas Gordon for Currie though he'd get a call up.

When do we start singing players for positions we need ?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:27 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/luke-hamilton-signs-pro14-side

When do we start singing players for positions we need ?

If there was an unattached SQ 9 I'm sure we'd have signed him a while ago.

I think we'll see a back row scrum half swap and Hamilton replaces the back row.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:34 pm

I don't remember a trade for George Turner. If we lose Bradbury we are short of ball carriers and we de-power our back row just as we go into the Champions Cup. If anything happens to Mata we're in trouble.

Meanwhile we have 5 locks and 3 will likely be away with Scotland. That puts a massive onus on Hunter-Hill and Hamish Bain.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:36 pm

macdone wrote:I don't remember a trade for George Turner. If we lose Bradbury we are short of ball carriers and we de-power our back row just as we go into the Champions Cup. If anything happens to Mata we're in trouble.

Meanwhile we have 5 locks and 3 will likely be away with Scotland. That puts a massive onus on Hunter-Hill and Hamish Bain.

A trade but would as unique as Turner's loan.

Carmichael, Toolis and Gilchrist won't all be in the 23 unless JGray goes down as well as RGray still being out and Toonie likes Swinson.

I think Carmichael might be a casualty of the US debacle too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Could well be more room for Gordon at Glasgow? Already played in a friendly for the Warriors. If he's going to start breaking through he needs to be getting some game time the way Crosbie did this season and it doesn't look like there's going to be much (if any) space in Edinburgh's back row during 2018/19.
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum